Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

intercooler!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default intercooler!?

does anyone know if the supercharge is gonna come with/optional intercooler?! because that supercharger is going raise the cars temperature a little.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard no mention of an intercooler from trd, but do you know what purpose an intercooler serves? it sounds like you think it will let the engine run cooler, which isn't really true...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Well the rumor is a stage 2 and 3 supercharger... and the intercooler is on both of those stages from what I understand.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JZA70
ive heard no mention of an intercooler from trd, but do you know what purpose an intercooler serves? it sounds like you think it will let the engine run cooler, which isn't really true...
An intercooler decreases the air/fuel mixture temp thus making it more dense. More air/fuel per cubic inch equals more power.

HowStuffWorks.com description
Old 08-21-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EbolaSalad
An intercooler decreases the air/fuel mixture temp thus making it more dense. More air/fuel per cubic inch equals more power.

HowStuffWorks.com description
i know what it does... i was asking skippy...
Old 08-21-2004, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: intercooler!?

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
does anyone know if the supercharge is gonna come with/optional intercooler?! because that supercharger is going raise the cars temperature a little.
Also something not said is a normal supercharger runs cooler then a turbocharger because you are not dealing with exhaust gas. So unless you are running a large amount of boost a normal supercharger will not need a intercooler.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EbolaSalad
Sorry, I misunderstood.
its cool :D
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes TRD has an intercooler that will be available with the S/C. from what they were telling us they say the car will push around 250 with both.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itimebomb
yes TRD has an intercooler that will be available with the S/C. from what they were telling us they say the car will push around 250 with both.
So would it be a FMIC or a TMIC? If they offer a choice they should have a option hood with scoop to help if it was a TMIC. I think if they designed the hood just right it would add a killer look to the tC. Also with a TMIC you would not lose as much response because you dont have as much pipe for the boosted air to travel through before it gets to the engine.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: intercooler!?

Originally Posted by chucksu
Also something not said is a normal supercharger runs cooler then a turbocharger because you are not dealing with exhaust gas. So unless you are running a large amount of boost a normal supercharger will not need a intercooler.
Couldn't hurt!

:D
Old 08-22-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

no... some superchargers do produce more heat and puts hot air into you car. thats one the main problems and thats why more companys are switchin frum SC's to TURBO's

sorry i lose the article on SC's but sum SCs tend to produce a lot of heat and results in needing a intercooler.

and yes i know that intercooler mak the air denser and produces more power and all that good stuff.

and yes i know turbo's runnin hotter and so an intercooler is usually slapped on.

i was just asking cuz having an intercooler would mean more $$ spent, but look way cool! hahaha
Old 08-22-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

top mount with a hoodscoop would be cool, but lots of $. they will definitely not do that. also, i bet it would be a b*tch to work on the motor lol.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
no... some superchargers do produce more heat and puts hot air into you car. thats one the main problems and thats why more companys are switchin frum SC's to TURBO's
incorrect. supercharges ALWAYS run cooler under similar conditions. ALWAYS.

and the other guy was referring to normal superchargers which would be usually 4.5 psi. which would not need a intercooler. this set up usually give 40-50 hp. try putting on ANY TURBO and have it at a psi that woul dyeild similar gains but try not hooking up an intercooler!! lol youd say bye bye turbo.

superchargersare fairly close to the heat of a turbo WITH intercooler. so if you put a intercooler on to a supercharger the supercharger is alot less hot.

the more likely reason for any company deciding to go with a turbo is that they can claim much higher mpg ratings on the cars because you can drive a turboed car around as if it didnt have a turbo and get similar gas mileage. downside is the power curve of a turbo is not as good as a equally matched supercharger.