Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

jet hot coating headers on SC tC

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member

Default jet hot coating headers on SC tC

Hey guys I dont have my sc or headers yet but was planning on getting both until I heard all this stuff about the heat from the headers causing a leak. So I was wondering if I got some of that jet hot coating, how much would this actually reduce the heat, and do you think that it will fix the problem with excess heat messing up the seals? thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it'll go a long way in preventing the problem, assuming the problem is directly due to the heat. there still isn't enough info to know either way.

you could get them coated, heat wrapped, and get a heat shield custom done for you and if there are still problems with the seals, then they should honor your warranty claim.

and if the seals are not due to heat, then something is amiss.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

JH has been noted to help keep engine bay temps down quite a bit.

You know we have %s off for SL members on JH coating.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

isnt there some kind of spray you can spray on yourself (kind of like a spray can)?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it hasn't been proven that header-heat is the cause of seal issues due to the fact that TC's without header swaps with the factory heat shield installed have had problems.

results.... inconclusive. Also, the energy from heat has to go somewhere, what do you think is going to happen to your catalytic converter? I could see a dealership pointing a failed cat to your header from increased heat from the header, but not from a stock header on an otherwise stock TC that's S/C'd.

Your choice. Personally, I would rather put heat-wrap on the header, it's cheaper.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TC's without header swaps with the factory heat shield installed have had problems.
Who?

what do you think is going to happen to your catalytic converter?
I'd rather destroy a catalytic converter instead of having to drop another $2950 on a supercharger.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
TC's without header swaps with the factory heat shield installed have had problems.
Who?

what do you think is going to happen to your catalytic converter?
I'd rather destroy a catalytic converter instead of having to drop another $2950 on a supercharger.
A better goal is to show me someone who has had oil leaking from the seals who has an aftermarket header installed. The closest thing I have seen to correlate is a pulley swap, but that in itself shouldn't be causing the problems. Ambient air temperatures in an engine bay should have no affect on those seals. Do you know the temerature of the oil running through it the entire time?

I could easily see a dealer denying a warranty claim on a blower leaking oil due to the aftermarket header, with or without a coating, equally as much if you have any other problems in your exhaust stream (like the second o2)

If you buy the S/C and want your warranty to be there when you need it, it's best to err on the safe side and run as close to stock as possible until the warranty is up. Either way, there isn't enough evidence to prove what is causing the problem yet.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i didn't have a header installed and my sc leaked all over the place. they said that it was because of the smaller pulley. the extra boost was too much for the sc to handle. from 7lbs of boost peak to 9lbs of boost peak killed my sc according to scion.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's precisely why I'm taking as many precautions as necessary

I had my header coated in a black ceramic and once I get my car back from the install tonight/tomorrow, I'm taking it to this guy who's going to mold me a custom shield that'll bolt on right above the exhaust manifold. the guy builds choppers for a living, so the finished product should be functional and shiny.

This may all be worthless or it might save my ___, who's to know? If the seals start failing even after the shield and coating are in place, then we'll know it's not the heat..regardless of what the dealership techs say. My ambient temp will be lower than a >stock< tC after this.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
i didn't have a header installed and my sc leaked all over the place. they said that it was because of the smaller pulley. the extra boost was too much for the sc to handle. from 7lbs of boost peak to 9lbs of boost peak killed my sc according to scion.
In my humble opinion, it's not because of the pulley. I'm almost positive it's faulty installation. And it looks like that it just happened to be a coincedence that the ones who had problems after installing the pulley had leaking problems. (There are many people who have the pulley and have no problems.) Right now, there's just too small a sample set to have any sort of reliable conclusion.

But there are a lot of other factors of well. They probably would have problems anyway with just the TRD pulley, but maybe did not wait a long enough time to realize. Who knows? The vortech supercharger used by TRD for this application can more than handle the 9 psi. Isn't it rated for like 60? Anything above 9-10 I would not be worried about the supercharger, but rather the pistons and rings.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

whats odd is that i have a supercharger, no pully, no headers, factory s/c heat sheild, and i suspect mine is leaking oil Used brake clean to clean off the oil on there, and I will update if its still having an issue.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where's it leaking from? Is it at the shaft where it means the actual compressor? Or perhaps from the oil pan or something else. Let us know. I' believe you're the 2nd on the forum to have an oil leak with no mods to the system.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its from the shaft, both ends, and some seemed to be coming from the compressor housing, but that could have been from install, not sure, thats why i used brake clean to go through and clean up what was there and on friday or saturday ill check it again. Also Im not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but mine was one of the early installs, so that may have something to do with it (TRD S/C SN: 000383)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The unit is a Vortech v5 compressor. This is rated to 25psi of boost and 60,000rpms. A smaller pulley should not affect the compressor...however the shaft design is another story. If that was designed incorrectly, the seals could leak at higher boost and rpm.

However it does seem that the techs are overtorquing those 3 allen bolts that hold the shaft onto the compressor.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suspect improper torque-ing of the shaft bolts. I think that the mechanics who did early installations didn't pay attention and were probably warned afterwards by TRD because of the claims.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol well in any case, if it is leaking, then its not my fault!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think that a 2-2.5 increase in psi is large enough to warrant suspicion of its effects on an improperly designed shaft.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

agreed, but i got the supercharger mainly because i wanted to have warranty and more power. I actually didnt even notice it till I was looking at the supercharger more closely when I was down at stevens creek scion, and dave recommended to me to use the brake clean to verify the leak.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't think that a 2-2.5 increase in psi is large enough to warrant suspicion of its effects on an improperly designed shaft.
Right...which is why I stated that my opinion is the torque on the shaft bolts. I mean it would have to be an absolutely horrid design if that were the case.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

jet hot coating the header of the tC could do nothing but help the situation. If anything you will be putting less heat under your hood.