Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

low boost turbo with trd s/c reflash

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
BECAUSE IT WORKS He asked if it worked, simple answer is YES! If he would have asked what would be better, I would have answered that question. But don't see him asking that now do we. I tend to stick to the course and not go off on these tangents like other people. You want more information, he can ask for it.
why not just shell out the best advice possible and prevent useless threads from popping up?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just shell out the best advice possible and prevent useless threads from popping up?
What the name of the thread anyways?............ Will the TRD reflash work with a small turbo at low boost right?

So how is advising that it will work bad advice?

Will it work for everyone...no

Should you use it on a turbo that flows more cfm than the blower at a given psi?.....no

But if you size the turbo to the same specs as the blower why not use it? It actually works rather well.

Not everyone wants to make a ton of power and for someone wanting a fairly simple and inexpensive kit this is a viable option for fuel managment that I am suprised most shops and customers haven't looked into.(at least brought to the publics attention)

But I am just contributing to a useless thread.

Regards-

Todd
Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Thank you Todd....
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
What the name of the thread anyways?............ Will the TRD reflash work with a small turbo at low boost right?

So how is advising that it will work bad advice?

Will it work for everyone...no

Should you use it on a turbo that flows more cfm than the blower at a given psi?.....no

But if you size the turbo to the same specs as the blower why not use it? It actually works rather well.

Not everyone wants to make a ton of power and for someone wanting a fairly simple and inexpensive kit this is a viable option for fuel managment that I am suprised most shops and customers haven't looked into.(at least brought to the publics attention)

But I am just contributing to a useless thread.

Regards-

Todd
saying that it will work PERIOD is basically saying that its a-ok to use it. hence why i debated the statement and clarifying it up that it is not the ideal way to ensure the OP knows that there are better options.

he, himself, stated that he's not trying cheap out or take short cuts. so, i recommended the best way to go about it, piggyback > reflash.

If its a valid option i will use the reflash over a piggyback.
^reflash is not a valid option in this case. lets say he runs RC550's, intercooled turbo setup that has the chance of boost spiking. You really think the TRD flash (thats tuned for hotter air, TRD injectors, gradual rpm boost) can properly take care of him? Hmm...what would the TRD flash do if it sees an overboost condition? emanage ult has the ability to cut off to prevent damage.

You're suprised that most shops dont want to use it? why? b/c its not in the best interests of the customer's reliability concern. I dont know what turbo setups you put together but you should already know how important proper engine management needs to be regardless of how small/simple the turbo setup. What is the likelyhood of you finding a turbo that matches the specs of the TRD blower exactly? A turbo produces GOBS more midrange and torque than a blower, therefore more fuel is definitiely needed in that range to keep combustion temps cool.

Peteyd knows what i mean.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

deng i post in wrong SN.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
saying that it will work PERIOD is basically saying that its a-ok to use it. hence why i debated the statement and clarifying it up that it is not the ideal way to ensure the OP knows that there are better options.
The OP KNOWS there are better options out there. If he wanted to know what was the BEST, he would have asked.

reflash is not a valid option in this case. lets say he runs RC550's, intercooled turbo setup that has the chance of boost spiking. You really think the TRD flash (thats tuned for hotter air, TRD injectors, gradual rpm boost) can properly take care of him? Hmm...what would the TRD flash do if it sees an overboost condition? emanage ult has the ability to cut off to prevent damage.

You Wanna know what the problem is with that statement......HE'S NOT RUNNING ALL THAT..... We are still talking about a Stage 0 dude, stick to the facts umm..k. Again, the Stage 0 will even run on a Stock tC ECU!!!

You're suprised that most shops dont want to use it? why? b/c its not in the best interests of the customer's reliability concern. I dont know what turbo setups you put together but you should already know how important proper engine management needs to be regardless of how small/simple the turbo setup. What is the likelyhood of you finding a turbo that matches the specs of the TRD blower exactly? A turbo produces GOBS more midrange and torque than a blower, therefore more fuel is definitiely needed in that range to keep combustion temps cool.

Peteyd knows what i mean.

Let me guess, you walked around to every shop and did a survey right... The Factory ECU is even smart enough to handle 6 PSI bro....Stop debating it already, it's been done and STILL is being done today. Get over it already, you haven't nor are you going to prove anything by endless rants. He asked if it worked, the Answer is YES...so why don't you just let it go already. He already knows about Piggy backs, Standalones, etc...
Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not here to argue with anyone....but

There is a place for the reflash to be utilized....

Its is ok if you take the time to do the proper work necessary to make it work correctly, which 90% of the time doesn't happen. Properly matched components can do wonders....

Yes there are always better options..but for some those options are not feasable nor affordable.

Education of the customer is the MOST IMPORTANT part when trying to decide which components to use and explaining to them on how it works. Depending on what the customers needs are will dictate those "better options" you mention.

Like I said, is the TRD reflash for everyone? NO its not but for someone wanting something simple and affordable it can and does work.

I dont know what turbo setups you put together but you should already know how important proper engine management needs to be regardless of how small/simple the turbo setup
I am familiar with how important fuel managment is, if it was up to me there wouldn't be any of these "band-aid" systems in use and we would all be using stand alone fuel managements systems. Hence why I don't offer fuel management with any of my systems. If you want to give the community good advice you should be promoting these systems.........

But I build custom kits for my TC customers, the xA and xB kits have some options but not like the TC. I try to build them to the customers needs, and future "growth" potential. Which is why I can say this is an option for some, because I have customers who are only looking for a simple and affordable option and this works.

Regards-

Todd
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 AM
SL Member

very well said Todd

but even the TRD s/c itself is still not a perfect match for the crap TRD reflash. thats one of the main reasons why i dont like it much. we've taken a dyno run with my bro's s/c and the a/f graph showed lean spikes all over.

and you're right, band-aids are not the answer. Even if its cheap and affordable, it may be costly in the long run. (ie. new motor)

With modding, you can only pick 2 of these:
-cheap
-fast
-reliable

cheap and fast, but not reliable. and vice versa.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

reliablyfast
Old 02-28-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

"You want Quality....You got to pay for that"
--Hustle and Flow
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

--Hustle and Flow

Whoop that trick

Old 02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill throw out my 2 cents but if ur considering getting ur ecu reflashed remember then you will not be able to use that ecu with emanage or anything for later on down the road with out getting the reflash taken off, if thats possible, or getting a new ecu. Im just throwing that out there so take that into consideration.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
--Hustle and Flow

Whoop that trick

"I can get more than that at the pawn shop"

"Well take that **** to the pawn shop then"...

Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
Ill throw out my 2 cents but if ur considering getting ur ecu reflashed remember then you will not be able to use that ecu with emanage or anything for later on down the road with out getting the reflash taken off, if thats possible, or getting a new ecu. Im just throwing that out there so take that into consideration.

Good call, I forgot about that..
Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 PM
SL Member

is there a conflict with the reflash and emanage ultimate? since the emanage will be manipulating and modifying the reflash's fuel tables, wouldnt it render the reflash useless anyways?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC

Good call, I forgot about that..

What? Your saying that since I have the TRD flash ... I can't use my eman ult thats sitting on the floor of my room for the past 5months? ....if thats the case ...thats the first I have ever heard of that.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
SL Member

yes, the reflash is basically just a new set of fuel/ignition tables that the ecu should use when it sees XX conditions, much like a stock map. emanage piggybacks that signal, manipulates it, and sends out a map of its own to run. But this is all theoretical.

318_tc, can you explain a little more?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
yes, the reflash is basically just a new set of fuel/ignition tables that the ecu should use when it sees XX conditions, much like a stock map. emanage piggybacks that signal, manipulates it, and sends out a map of its own to run. But this is all theoretical.

318_tc, can you explain a little more?

thats my point. Why would it matter what the tune is like on the actual ecu if your piggybacking it and manipulating it. ....as far as i know it shouldn't matter. A handful of people have the emanage with the trd flash so im not sure whats wrong with that.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^forgot about that too. I stand corrected, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: low boost turbo with trd s/c reflash