Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Motor builds

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
SL Member

Default Motor builds

Iv searched and there's insane amounts of builds on here so quick simple questions
No my turbos off i'm gonna buy another block and build it up and swap it out later on

What mods need to be done to support 400hp?

If anyone has done a very nice solid build please send me a link so i can see what parts you put into the build.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I would contact world racing. They seem VERY familiar with the 2az, its limits and how to properly build one...they even posted a video of them building a race block.

http://youtu.be/e3B02hDCog4
Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202535

Heres a great DIY but Id like to know the little tips and tricks you guys have learned from this process any info will help thanks guys
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's quite a few people who you can read through their threads and learn a lot from....one person that comes to mind is thendawg....awesome build, very well documented, and videos to prove it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199661

brett561tc is another guy who's done some big things as well so either one you choose, you'll learn a lot.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ght=brett561tc

Now keep in mind there are many others that are also doing big things so I hope nobody gets salty....these are only two examples. My advise to you would be to figure out exactly what your goal is now, do some research on what other guys have done to reach the 400+ hp goal successfully & reliably, and when in doubt ask known manufacturer's like Dezod, Ptuning, World-Racing when you have questions, and when your ready to take the deep plunge into forced induction....build the motor to exceed what your original goal is because you'll want just a little bit more, lol! Just my 2 cents.....
Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rods, pistons, head studs
this includes all new bearings, head gasket and a lot of small gaskets and o rings
Old 07-25-2012, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD pretty much hit it on the head. Thats pretty much the build Im running (except Im using 1/2" head studs, along with the block being step decked). 400whp is obtainable on a stock block on E85 if you have access to it, but I wouldnt call that reliable lol. 400whp on a built bottom end is extremely reliable, in fact Id consider really anything up to 600whp or so reliable on a built bottom end, but youll start to run into trans issues with anything in the 500+ range, but it seems to be hit or miss - the E351 Im running now has survived a ton of runs and pulls on everything from 26-29psi (approx 550-600whp)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BadDudeTC3
There's quite a few people who you can read through their threads and learn a lot from....one person that comes to mind is thendawg....awesome build, very well documented, and videos to prove it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199661

brett561tc is another guy who's done some big things as well so either one you choose, you'll learn a lot.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ght=brett561tc

Now keep in mind there are many others that are also doing big things so I hope nobody gets salty....these are only two examples. My advise to you would be to figure out exactly what your goal is now, do some research on what other guys have done to reach the 400+ hp goal successfully & reliably, and when in doubt ask known manufacturer's like Dezod, Ptuning, World-Racing when you have questions, and when your ready to take the deep plunge into forced induction....build the motor to exceed what your original goal is because you'll want just a little bit more, lol! Just my 2 cents.....

Yea im gona take my time on this build my car was just boosted to 10psi i put it back to stock to save money to build a race motor to drop in. So my car is 100% reliable again so over the next 3-6 months im gona start slowly building the motor on a stand doing everything 100% correct.

My top end if already built valve job stronger springs and retainers port and polish... so Id be just looking for the block. Then put in some pistons,rods, Then i'm going to Nitrocarburize the crankshaft and put all the stuff i already have at home on.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do what you want, but no strengthening of the crank is needed. 2 different race teams made close to 1000whp on stock crank. Just an FYI to save you some $$
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Do what you want, but no strengthening of the crank is needed. 2 different race teams made close to 1000whp on stock crank. Just an FYI to save you some $$
Really!! Didn't know this thank you i wont waste my money on it then.

One question i have is what Stand alones do you guys like to run?
I wont be doing tuning i will take it to a shop to tune
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by K0rupt
Iv searched and there's insane amounts of builds on here so quick simple questions
No my turbos off i'm gonna buy another block and build it up and swap it out later on

What mods need to be done to support 400hp?

If anyone has done a very nice solid build please send me a link so i can see what parts you put into the build.
Hello K0rupt,

We have done our fair share of built motor and 400+whp Scion tC.
We can definitely assist you with this project.
Please PM me if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
TRD pretty much hit it on the head. Thats pretty much the build Im running (except Im using 1/2" head studs, along with the block being step decked). 400whp is obtainable on a stock block on E85 if you have access to it, but I wouldnt call that reliable lol. 400whp on a built bottom end is extremely reliable, in fact Id consider really anything up to 600whp or so reliable on a built bottom end, but youll start to run into trans issues with anything in the 500+ range, but it seems to be hit or miss - the E351 Im running now has survived a ton of runs and pulls on everything from 26-29psi (approx 550-600whp)

So what year E351 tranny will fit the 09 tc? I gota get it off a Camry right?
Iv been told to not build the bottom end unless ur at like 1000hp is this true?
Cus if the motors out of the car that would be the best time to nitrate the crank shaft. Maby cryo the rods. while the blocks getting bored and sleeved.

What compression do you guys run? I plan on using a GTX35R either .60 or .73 Would compression help spooling? I plan to get a 2 step launch control and slicks and all that so i dont thing lag would a issue
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
SL Member

Also getting water / meth injection with aem failsafe so i can tune it with the spray and if it runs out the tune will auto lower the boost. Im sure u guys know how that all works.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Korupted
So what year E351 tranny will fit the 09 tc? I gota get it off a Camry right?
Iv been told to not build the bottom end unless ur at like 1000hp is this true?
Cus if the motors out of the car that would be the best time to nitrate the crank shaft. Maby cryo the rods. while the blocks getting bored and sleeved.

What compression do you guys run? I plan on using a GTX35R either .60 or .73 Would compression help spooling? I plan to get a 2 step launch control and slicks and all that so i dont thing lag would a issue
Bottom end should be built for anyone wanting to reliably make 350+ IMHO. What I was saying, is the stock crank is fine. Pistons/rods is essentially all thats needed (well in addition to head studs, machine work, bearings, gaskets, etc).

As for the E351, I can confirm anything from an 02-07 Camry 5 speed works. Just make sure its the 5speed for the 2.4L. I also believe the Solara used the E351 at some point, but I cant say for certain what years.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:03 AM
SL Member

Korupted, I'm a DEZOD fan boy so I can't say much for other Turbo kit manufactures. However, I will suggest if your going big then do it right! You want a full V-band setup at the very least. Pushing close to 400hp you will surely a blown turbo gasket several times if you don't. I hate replacing gaskets especially in a turbo system. Make your life easier and just go with a V-band setup. I also would suggest getting a Garrett turbo and don't settle for anything less (personal preference.) I have owned several turbo'd vehicles and have gone through many different types of turbos. The best I've owned are Garrett. Anyway, always consider what you want and not what others think you want. Good luck with your build.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is random, but I DEFINITELY recommend installing a quaife LSD while you are doing everything. 300+whp is great, but with an open diff, it's a bit useless.