Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

NST lightweight crank pulley for the SC tC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NST lightweight crank pulley for the SC tC

hey whats up people? well i got some good news for all you of s/c & n/a people. NST has just released there version of the lightweight crank pulley for the tC. NST will still offer their underdrive crank pulleys for n/a and turbo owners, but will now offer the "CR-Lite" as well for the SC guys. The CR-Lite pulley is basically a lightweight, OEM diameter, crank pulley that will neither underdrive nor overdrive any of the accessories. This is great news for tC owners who love NST pulleys and want a bit more throttle responce for their tCs but do not want to underdrive their supercharger or other accessories. CR-Lite crank pulleys, like all other NST pulleys are all annodized, are available in different colors, are built using a very strong aircraft grade of aluminum (T6), and are now available as special order items.

I know Mike from NST personally and he has been keeping me in the loop about this project, and also that NST may even have some dyno comparisons between stock, light weight, and underdrive pulleys in the near future. Nothing is guaranteed and we do not want to promise anything 100%.... but this is what i've heard through the grapevine and i hope it will happen sometime.

if you have any questions please feel free to Instant Message NST. AIM: NSTonAIM
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

nice there NST goes again. way to go guys
Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more mods.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another great product from an awesome company
Old 05-06-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why doesnt NST make a larger crank pulley? that way you can achieve 9lbs without removing that tamper proof cap..
Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ordered their crank pulley and boost pulley. Now I just need to buy and install a supercharger. If only I could order parts at work already. Anyone trying to decide on who to buy from i highly suggest NST. Mike is awesome. Answered all my questions quickly and with answers that I knew were real, not just something to get me to buy from him. I am already talking to him about buying a custom pulley in the future and some pulleys for my project mr2 I am planning.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
I just ordered their crank pulley and boost pulley. Now I just need to buy and install a supercharger. If only I could order parts at work already. Anyone trying to decide on who to buy from i highly suggest NST. Mike is awesome. Answered all my questions quickly and with answers that I knew were real, not just something to get me to buy from him. I am already talking to him about buying a custom pulley in the future and some pulleys for my project mr2 I am planning.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh... replacing the harmonic balancer is not a good idea :-\
Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Why doesnt NST make a larger crank pulley? that way you can achieve 9lbs without removing that tamper proof cap..
From what I hear they have already tried to do this and didnt have good results. Apparently a larger crank pulley just will not fit on the 2AZ because of clearance issues! You know if it could have been done those guys would have already done it by now
Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a heavily contested statement. I will agree that in many cases I would never do so. Example: I had a fluidamper on my eclipse. However I felt that i would make the executive decision for myself and see what happens. If the motor goes then I will just be speeding up my plans to build a complete race motor. However I ran unorthodox racing underdrive pulleys on every honda I have ever owned, which by the way is 7. Not once did I ever have a problem. I am not saying that I won't have a problem. Just saying that I am willing to take the risk. It like doing anything worthwhile to your car, their is always a risk involved and it is upto the owner to decide if it is worthwhile. Look at all the dms owners that run 272 or 280 cams you have to decide what you are comfortable with. For those who don't know on a dsm 272 or 280 cams tend to have a rough idle, it can be tuned out but will occassionally rear its ugly head.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The stupid hydro tensioner / factory timing pointer which is apart of the timing chain case block the install of a larger crank pulley. Yes I know first hand and I am working on a fix for this.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is Scion Dad on this issue of the pulley? I heard him state that these pulleys were bad for our motors.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RAMROD7
Where is Scion Dad on this issue of the pulley? I heard him state that these pulleys were bad for our motors.
ATI (http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/) makes dampers that are not soild, so those arguments are moot, you can choose which type of pulley you feel comfortable running.

Also I believe ATI has developed a 5 1/2" pulley and 6" pulley...

Has NST tried with a 6"?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol. you want info about the pulley talk to Mike from NST on aim (NSTonAIM). he will tell you everything you want to know about the pulleys.... and believe it or not....HES TELLING THE TRUTH lol NST ONLY DOES PULLEYS. mikes an honest guy and builds a good relationship with his customers by using this funny thing called honesty. i baught my crank pulley from them in Feb. and i talk to mike on a daily basis. ive learned a good chunk of info from that guy. you should talk to him.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree I talked to mike for about an hour today. I was set on zpi until talking to mike. When you specialize in pulleys it says alot about the quality of your product. I am not dissing zpi in anyways either. I plan to purchase from them too.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah Bump for mike at NST......
people seem to be worried about issues with the motor, mike will tell you himself it may shorten the life of the motor, but you will not notice any issues below 150k, who the F---- keeps a car that long? I dont, i dump my cars at 60k miles or 3 years period, so who cares...I dont.
I dont know alot of people who do keep there cars that long, and even if you did you may or may not notice any issues. there are alot of myths out there, call myth busters and see if they will do a show on people underdriving cars.

putting a S/C will shorten the life of you car, so will driving it hard with I/H/E, racing it or reving it hard will shorten the life, just driving it to work will shorten the life. unless you prized Tc sits in a garage all day you run the risk of shortening its life.....

so mod away.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
yeah Bump for mike at NST......
people seem to be worried about issues with the motor, mike will tell you himself it may shorten the life of the motor, but you will not notice any issues below 150k, who the F---- keeps a car that long? I dont, i dump my cars at 60k miles or 3 years period, so who cares...I dont.
I dont know alot of people who do keep there cars that long, and even if you did you may or may not notice any issues. there are alot of myths out there, call myth busters and see if they will do a show on people underdriving cars.

putting a S/C will shorten the life of you car, so will driving it hard with I/H/E, racing it or reving it hard will shorten the life, just driving it to work will shorten the life. unless you prized Tc sits in a garage all day you run the risk of shortening its life.....

so mod away.
To add onto this revving a stock motor with a long stroke like this is suicide too. If you want to discuss another myth that is proven goto the track and watch people with stock bearings and long strokes run. Hell watch people with integra type r's that rev to 10k at the track, thats how i got my type r motor. 2 spun rod bearings on a 15k motor from high revving. Anytime you drive your car really hard or modify your car for more power you shorten the life. It's the price you pay for more power.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and the actual amount you shorten the life, well that is really unknown, i dont know of alot of people with Tc's in the 100,000 mile mark, let alone with pullies. Who knows.........
Old 05-07-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
and the actual amount you shorten the life, well that is really unknown, i dont know of alot of people with Tc's in the 100,000 mile mark, let alone with pullies. Who knows.........
Besides if you are performance minded you will probably rebuild by 100k anyways. Chances are you will never know how long you could go. I plan to pass 60k and rebuild. Once warranty is up I will start my race motor project.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly, some of us are just bideing time to knock down the motor....or motorswap or what not, i think its funny how people will bash pullies with the ususal " your motor will fail" dop they plan to keep their car for life?

very valid point!

Quick Reply: NST lightweight crank pulley for the SC tC