Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official Dezod Turbo thread:12/21 - Long-term and new parts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paul,

i have been watching your thread and zpi turbo thread and supercharger threads closely.

this may sound like a dumb question so forgive me in advance but...
to effectively maximize the power of any kit you purchase without breaking anything what components do you need??advice please
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by freeflowing
paul,

i have been watching your thread and zpi turbo thread and supercharger threads closely.

this may sound like a dumb question so forgive me in advance but...
to effectively maximize the power of any kit you purchase without breaking anything what components do you need??advice please
Not a dumb question.

Engine prep-Frequent Synthetic Oil Chnages
Fuel-91 or higher octane gas only
Engine Management-Good tune that is not too rich or too lean
Common Sense
Good tires and brakes.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

dont forget .........something better then the stock clutch.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
dont forget .........something better then the stock clutch.
Correct. Thanks for reminding me. THAT is suggested on our website about the clutch.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I really like your kit but have come to reality and cant kill my 100k warranty. I really think since your kits have more of the bells...that is the way to go. Props to dezod.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I really like your kit but have come to reality and cant kill my 100k warranty. I really think since your kits have more of the bells...that is the way to go. Props to dezod.
Turbo is not for everyone. I understand.

I really do not think we have lots of 'bells and whistles'. We have all of the necessities required to run a decent forced induction set-up. That is kind of sad if some of the other companies on the market have brain washed the masses into thinking it's ok not to include essential components of forced induction.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Do you have any plans for comming out with s/c upgrades?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

I really do not think we have lots of 'bells and whistles'. We have all of the necessities required to run a decent forced induction set-up. That is kind of sad if some of the other companies on the market have brain washed the masses into thinking it's ok not to include essential components of forced induction.
Please elaborate carefully.

P.S. Synthetic oil should hardly be considered "engine prep". Blow a head gasket with sythetic oil and then tell me what you think of it.

Charles
Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz

P.S. Synthetic oil should hardly be considered "engine prep". Blow a head gasket with sythetic oil and then tell me what you think of it.

Charles
I believe he meant components like intercooling, injectors (if needed) and electronics to re-map, I doubt anyone who wants to keep credibility would hock a kit claiming it's better because they threw in a case of synth-oil.

But nice try at a stab.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I would say it's a pretty good stab.

I trust ZPI but going stage 0 I would definitely opt for FMIC and GReddy.

It's a bit like riding a bike without a helmet. If you take it hard, you'll probably fall off and die. If you take it like you should you'll be alright. I think.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Do you have any plans for comming out with s/c upgrades?
No sir. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Charles
First off, your HG will not blow from Synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is used because it is engineered to break down at higher temps than fossil fuel. Once oil breaks down from the intense heat caused by turbo, your motor is now being lubricated with water and minerals. You want it to remain oil as long as possible to continue to lubricate your motor.

With respect to the head gasket comment of your statement, most head gaskets are blown due to higher charge temps caused by lack of proper intercooling, too much compressor surge and dentonation caused from a poor tune or lack of tuning period.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fushyuguru

Charles
I believe he meant components like intercooling, injectors (if needed) and electronics to re-map, I doubt anyone who wants to keep credibility would hock a kit claiming it's better because they threw in a case of synth-oil.

But nice try at a stab.
Correct. I was referring to some form of intercooling, fuel management, engine management etc.....This was not a 'STAB' at one particular company at all. Just an observation. Some of the largest turbo manufacturing companies do not include such essentials. This does not mean I agree with them. For grated, some vehicles dictate less than others, however all of the components of FI are pretty much the same accross the board.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
And I would say it's a pretty good stab.

I trust ZPI but going stage 0 I would definitely opt for FMIC and GReddy.

It's a bit like riding a bike without a helmet. If you take it hard, you'll probably fall off and die. If you take it like you should you'll be alright. I think.
Everyone is entitled to their veiws and such. We do live in a free society.

I feel ZPI, from looks and first impression makes a decent system. Of course I have not seen one in person, driven a car with one and such. Every company has their own view of what the vehicle should look and perform like. That is why each and every kit is different in design, layout and components. I may not agree with one company's idea or another just like they may not agree with one of mine, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinion.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Nice try at a stab..." was actually aimed, indirectly of course, at TurboCustomz comment. Thought it was kind of sheepish and gaudy to poke at one component you guys throw in and try and take a whack at you.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, your HG will not blow from Synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is used because it is engineered to break down at higher temps than fossil fuel. Once oil breaks down from the intense heat caused by turbo, your motor is now being lubricated with water and minerals. You want it to remain oil as long as possible to continue to lubricate your motor.

With respect to the head gasket comment of your statement, most head gaskets are blown due to higher charge temps caused by lack of proper intercooling, too much compressor surge and dentonation caused from a poor tune or lack of tuning period.
First, lets clarify some things before someone here gets butthurt. I was referring to this comment...

Not a dumb question.

Engine prep-Frequent Synthetic Oil Chnages
Fuel-91 or higher octane gas only
Engine Management-Good tune that is not too rich or too lean
Common Sense
Good tires and brakes.
Now, I never said that Synthetic oil would "blow your headgasket:. I said...

Originally Posted by turbocustomz
With that clarified, have you ever blown a headgasket with sythetic oil in the engine? The fact of the matter is synthetic oil expands when it touches water. It CAN come out your dipstick, your valve cover, your main seals, and just about destroy an engine if it goes long enough without detection. Thats a fact, i've seen it.

Synthetic oil is great if you want to go 5-7K miles between oil changes on a stock car. However, it shows no benificial attribute when changed at regular 3K mile intervals. There have been tests upon tests to support this. In fact, I remember reading an article about it in SCC some time ago. I'll try and dig it up. I dont use synthetic in any of my personal cars and don't recommend it to people with high performance applications, water sourced oil coolers, or water cooled turbo setups. Its just my personal opinion that I know some people don't share. Kinda like your opinion that its a shame that some companies have "brain washed" people into thinking they dont need parts that YOU consider a requirement.

The reality of the matter is that its application specific. Someone in Alaska who wants to run 6 psi on their turbo Scion will most likely not see a measurable performance gain and/or increased engine life by having a FMIC. However, a person in the Sahara might want to consider getting one. People should educate themselves prior to purchase and decide whether their personal application needs a certian part. I've seen many non-intercooled turbo hondas run for years and years with no problem or significant engine life decrease. Greddy can't tell someone that calls from Arizona, "You have to buy the intercooler with this kit." if they will sell it without to someone else.

My comment was not meant as a "stab" to anyone and I dont see how it could especially when comments like these are being made.

Our kit is well worth the $$, bottom line. We did not pull any punches, no exaggerated numbers or anything. Please also do not judge a kit on it's build capabilities based upon how fats it spools
and...

We have all of the necessities required to run a decent forced induction set-up. That is kind of sad if some of the other companies on the market have brain washed the masses into thinking it's ok not to include essential components of forced induction.
I don't want to seem like Captian Obvious here, but those are both blatant "stabs" against other sponsors on this board. No two ways about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by "TurboCustomz'

With that clarified, have you ever blown a headgasket with sythetic oil in the engine? The fact of the matter is synthetic oil expands when it touches water. It CAN come out your dipstick, your valve cover, your main seals, and just about destroy an engine if it goes long enough without detection. Thats a fact, i've seen it.

The reality of the matter is that its application specific. Someone in Alaska who wants to run 6 psi on their turbo Scion will most likely not see a measurable performance gain and/or increased engine life by having a FMIC. However, a person in the Sahara might want to consider getting one. People should educate themselves prior to purchase and decide whether their personal application needs a certian part. I've seen many non-intercooled turbo hondas run for years and years with no problem or significant engine life decrease. Greddy can't tell someone that calls from Arizona, "You have to buy the intercooler with this kit." if they will sell it without to someone else.

I don't want to seem like Captian Obvious here, but those are both blatant "stabs" against other sponsors on this board. No two ways about it.
To be UTTERLY honest, if I wanted to bash another company on here I would just come out and say it. Plain and simple. I am saying that MANY companies of MUCH larger caliper than ZPI, Dezod, ScionSpeed and several others on this board are guilty of it. Once again, it was not a stab at anyone here.

These are 2005+ cars, so not much else engine prep is needed. Chances are 99.98% of these cars do not require a leak down test and such.....99.99% I am sure do not have oil leaks or other quirks.......So that is why I suggested only the oil change. Now on to the oil.....

I have not been privelaged enough to blow a motor with synthetic oil. I have been quite fortunate in all of the turbo set-ups I have owned, built or ventured into. I am very thankful of this. I have studied under some professionals who have been building high powered cars for decades and now use synthetic oil now for several reasons, which I am far too lazy to type out. These are people who have built 1000+ whp Vipers and Supras.........Once again, each person is entitled to their own opinion.

The bolded print notion, I agree 100%. It is application specific. However, with that decision comes more responsibility and less power. Why?

1) An average intercooler drops effective charge temps 50-75% which in return makes the air more dense and the long and short of it, means you will make more power.

2) Your tuning will have be more precise with an intercooler-less system because of the higher charge temps. Higher charge temps are more prone to knock. This means several tuning precautions have to be undertaken and a very efficient turbo must be utilized.

You can continue to think that those comments were stabs at an individual(s) company, but they were not.

The reason for the comment about a turbo spooling, is quite senseless. A turbo kit selection should be based upon all of the componets I listed previously. I will list them again: Fuel management, engine management, turbo size with respect to the motor's displacement and peak values, your goals, expandability, quality, cost....I stated all of this previously.

Originally Posted by paul_dezod on 11/6/05 @ 7:33 PM
Our kit is well worth the $$, bottom line. We did not pull any punches, no exaggerated numbers or anything. Please also do not judge a kit on it's build capabilities based upon how fats it spools. You should judge it by power it produces, where in the RPM band it does this, how it suites your needs and goals, expandability, quality of components used....
Please do not put words into my mouth. Your completely trying to create friction between us and a competitor and I will not stoop to that level. That is childish and pointless. We have our visions and views as well as each and every other company does as well. I am not perfect, I am the 1st and last to admit it. Who am I to judge? Only God can judge me and everyone else. I have my views and you have yours. It is as simple as that.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbocustomz
The fact of the matter is synthetic oil expands when it touches water. It CAN come out your dipstick, your valve cover, your main seals, and just about destroy an engine if it goes long enough without detection. Thats a fact, i've seen it.
If this is a fact, show me proof, systematic, scientific proof.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would I want to cause friction between you and a company that I no longer work for? If you do not wish for this to happen, then perhaphs you should choose your words more carefully as this is the internet and emotion is very hard to portray. It's no secret that ZPI talks about how fast their turbo kits spool and your comment was obviously directed completely at them.

It's simply wrong to state that an intercooler is a required component of a turbo setup. Its simply false. People who buy non-intercooled kits know the power levels they produce and are obviously okay with them. They must also realize that to make more power, some sort of cooling device will need to be used. That doesn't mean they need an intercooler either. Believe it or not, there are other methods. I simply am taken aback that you can say that someone elses turbo kit is sub-par because it does not come with an intercooler.

Im glad that the professionals that you have studied under have their opinions. Otherwise, my opinion wouldn't mean anything. However, they are not the only ones building these cars. In fact, I have three 1000+ hp potential cars in my shop right now. Im glad that you have studied under them and Im glad that someone that is building a turbo kit on this board has some sort of education on the matter.

I don't want this to seem like a personal attack at you or your company. It's not meant to be. Like I said, emotion is hard to portray across the internet and some of the things you have said, can, and have appearently been misconstrued.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Paul...your site states "There is no warranty, returns, exchanges or refunds on lights, light bulbs, electrical parts, brakes, rotors, discontinued items and engine parts." Does this statement include the turbo kit and its components?

Quick Reply: Official Dezod Turbo thread:12/21 - Long-term and new parts!