Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

oil leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default oil leaks...

Ok so, 6 months with the turbo, last 3 parking on a cardboard box!

I have the Dezod S1 turbo kit with their supplied oil lines. So far what ive seen is that at the turbo, at the 90 degree fitting its coming up, and running down the back of the turbo. So i took out the brass fitting and put some liquid teflon on it, gooped it up nice and screwed it in nice and tight - leaks more than ever now. Also noticed my oil gauge connector/ T taps at the block are leaking,(but not at the block itself?) and those all have teflon tape on them.

I've heard from a local mechanic that once you set a brass fitting and take it out its garbage - it will never seal right again. Besides the point my oil pressure sensor is reading 100+psi on a cold start and 50psi on a hot idle, i do believe this is because the sensor is coverd in oil, and ive been driving 6 months at these levels and have had no problems at all. Thats the AEM Oil pressure gauge, digital.

Should I buy new brass fittings and reconnect everything? Use a different type of teflon / thread sealer? Open to suggestions!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Teflon tape is bad for oil lines.. You want to use high temp rtv sealant (the red one) for anything oil related. And for vac sources use Teflon. That should help.. Obj and i'd get a new brass fittng as well!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i've took off my brass fitting several times until we got it to seal right during my turbo install and didnt have any leaks so far.. im using white teflon on two of the threads and yellow teflon on the rest.. yellow teflon they said is good for oil and fuel lines
Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
SL Member

i've also taken my T off multiple times and havent had a problem resealing. The red prematex java was talking about works really well, the same stuff i used for the oil pan.

make sure you are tightening everything down hard too.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the permatex sales guy told me that the "ultra high temp" is the best for oils, it comes in black or grey tube, but i don't know the red stuff is working pretty good so far. he showed us a piece of teflon tape in a small jar filled with oil. it looked brand new, he said that tape has been in there for 3 years. it seems like if the teflon ever gets loose and cycles through the oil system, it has a chance of pluging up something ( oil starvation)
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got some of that RTV stuff - ill put it on when the car cools down and ill post up the results!