Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

over heating

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default over heating

i took off the oem shroud and put mishimoto slim fans on and had one set up to pull the other to push...i was parked today and saw my temp gauge go past the second line but didnt hit the red.....i turned the heater on right away and it dropped back down to normal after a while...now i got home and got a cel but im worried about driving it to the auto store to check it...would the motor be damaged even if i didnt hit the red? any ones input on this.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure...did the car act funny? die on ya? if it didnt do any of these then its prolly ok but need to check what code you have.

is it possible to put the stock fans back on?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

find out what the CEL is or you will get 10 different wrong guesses on here
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn so i took off the fan that was pushing air into the radiator and put it to pull....tight fit but i managed...so then i decided to check out the cel..drove to the auto store and it was a p0335....ive had that before so i told them to just clear it since last time i had it was a month ago.
as for my heat issues..the car made it to the store just fine but i had the ac off...so then i turned the ac on and it started to heat up even when i was driving....this time it didnt go past the line above normal operating temp only becuase i got home by then.
i dont know what to do...texas heat sucks its already 92degrees outside.
should i step it up and order a upgraded radaitor or is my problem somewhere else.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clearing a CEL doesnt fix the problem.

Try changing to just water not 50/50 mix
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ah ic...next time your down here we will take care of that code..hows the coolant? are fans turning the correct direction for their position?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
clearing a CEL doesnt fix the problem.

Try changing to just water not 50/50 mix
code is for another unrelated issue.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get the whole Mishimoto fan shroud assembly with fans or just the slim fans? I have the whole assembly and have never had a problem, even with the FL heat.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its just the fans...the zpi kit wont let u clock the turbo all the way down so the outlet kinda faces the radiator it leaves little to no room for a fan let alone a shroud. im thinking i should upgrade to the mishimoto radiator but im worried about clearance with that as well considering its thicker than the stock one.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so if i'm understanding this right, you don't have a radiator shroud? just the slim fans? that is why you're overheating. without a shroud to help channel the air, radiators are very inefficient at low speeds. you need a shroud.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have had the kit on 2 months and havnt had this problem b4 today it happen to go into the low 90's outside so i figured the heat was the issue...but its 76-80 degrees out right now its night...i got went for a drive...kept the a/c on and the temp stayed normal even parked. except when i was going up some small hill the temp spiked a bit then settled then when i got home and let it cool down it went up again. is it possible its the thermostat? how would i check it or should i just replace it a new ones only 15$
the temp wont hit the red but its just spikes up above normal.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just replace it to be safe. You can move the radiator towards the front of the car if you re-drill the brackets on top. I've seen people do this a bunch to get the clearance they need. It can give you about 3/4 inch from what I've seen.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 PM

1) you didnt get all the air out of the system. let the car fully cool down so you can open the radiator cap. start the car and let it idle. if you see the coolant go down fill it up. keep filling it until the coolant run through the system and fills up all the air pockets.

2) radiator cap is bad. there is a chance but not likely. ive bought a radiator cap from autozone be fore and 3 months later i was overheating. turned out it was the cap again. dont buy from autozone. my friend bought one there and the same thing happened about 3 months later too. if you're overflow tank is filling up with coolant from your engine/radiator, then its the cap.

3) if the car only overheats at low speeds... then make sure you didnt hook up the wires on the fan backwards. if the fans are blowing out the front rather than blowing into the engine bay the fans are blowing against the air trying to flow through.

4) this only happens after the car has been sitting for a long time... the thermostat is stuck. corrosion on the spring will prevent it from opening allowing the hot coolant to flow through. let your engine heat up to operating temperature. then feel the top and bottom radiator hoses. if one is hot and the other is cold then its the thermostat.

thats all i can think of...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedy000
its just the fans...the zpi kit wont let u clock the turbo all the way down so the outlet kinda faces the radiator it leaves little to no room for a fan let alone a shroud. im thinking i should upgrade to the mishimoto radiator but im worried about clearance with that as well considering its thicker than the stock one.
Don't go Mishimoto, go Koyo. Mishileako sucks.

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
so if i'm understanding this right, you don't have a radiator shroud? just the slim fans? that is why you're overheating. without a shroud to help channel the air, radiators are very inefficient at low speeds. you need a shroud.

Hmm....I haven't had a shroud for like 3 years though. Idk, could be another issue.

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 04-24-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 AM
SL Member

On this topic of over heating im new to turbos and waiting on a few missing parts to arrive from descendant for my kit. But will i OR should i replace my thermostat to allow the coolant to flow sooner?? the kit is designed to work with stock fans and radiator so let me know thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ There is no need but if it is going to be raced at all regularly, then it's a good idea. I just street drive and daily drive my car so I left the OEM thermostat in. If you are going to AutoX alot, then get a cooler one. Not too cool though.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i drove all day today and didnt overheat.....yesterday was supa humid one shop i visited told me the humidity could of played into yesterdays werid temp spikes
Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it is possible that it was temp related...but there is no reason the car should overheat.

I know when I'm heading up some of the steep steep hills around here(especially the long ones) I can smell/tell the car is getting hot, and I actually have to let the car cool for a bit after the climb.

So who knows...
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by speedy000
damn so i took off the fan that was pushing air into the radiator and put it to pull....tight fit but i managed...so then i decided to check out the cel..drove to the auto store and it was a p0335....ive had that before so i told them to just clear it since last time i had it was a month ago.
as for my heat issues..the car made it to the store just fine but i had the ac off...so then i turned the ac on and it started to heat up even when i was driving....this time it didnt go past the line above normal operating temp only becuase i got home by then.
i dont know what to do...texas heat sucks its already 92degrees outside.
should i step it up and order a upgraded radaitor or is my problem somewhere else.
are your fans behind the stock radiator? or in front of the ac condenser? Check the direction of airflow on your fans.. Fans behind the rad should PULL air from outside, fans in front of the ac condenser should PUSH air towards the inside.. put a shroud on if you can fit it, use the stock fans and fan shroud if it still fits.. that it self is very efficient, if needed more cooling then upgrade your radiator... you shouldnt have overheating issues after that unless you have a watercooled turbo.. if you need more cooling upgrade your thermostat, if more then add a fan or 2 in front as PUSHERs... thats should give you ridiculous cooling, risk for over cooling..
Old 04-25-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a watercooled turbo and I use Mishimoto Fan + Fan Shroud assembly. After the coolant bubbles got taken care of, no overheating at all with stock thermostat and radiator. The shroud assembly is only like 180 bucks from Descendant. You might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere but it includes both fans and fits like a glove

Quick Reply: over heating