Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Prep'd turbo install problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jonny5ive
I talked to Paul at dezod and he said insert the bypass wire while the harness is plugged and that should tell if there is something wrong with the harness. Well I plugged in the small bypass wire to see if I would get a CEL and I didnt. That tells me that the harness is fine. I really doubt the FIC is bad. I think im going to install everything then see what happens. Probably wont get a good tune with that code tho.
That tells me it's the FIC more than likely or the calibration
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
That tells me it's the FIC more than likely or the calibration
NOOOO Paul dont say the FIC bad! The calibration ok...but not the FIC LoL. I wouldn't want to have to get another one...doh.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

NOOOO Paul dont say the FIC bad! The calibration ok...but not the FIC LoL. I wouldn't want to have to get another one...doh.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If it doesn't trip with the stock ECU. Doesn't trip with the PNP harness in place and the bypass harness in place. That only leaves 2 things left: cal and fic.

Did you calibrate the RPMS in the FIC?

What firmware on FIC?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hahahaha. Most of the time, getting a used kit for $2K less than a new one ends up costing you the $2K to get that cheaper one up and running... I'm hoping for the best for you. Maybe Paul will cut you a deal on one he might have laying around ;)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If it doesn't trip with the stock ECU. Doesn't trip with the PNP harness in place and the bypass harness in place. That only leaves 2 things left: cal and fic.

Did you calibrate the RPMS in the FIC?

What firmware on FIC?
The firmware is 3.0.7 and I've calibrated the RPMS to 0000 while it is off. If I do have to buy a new FIC, I might just buy the whole FIC and harness and make sure it's from you guys.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Hahahaha. Most of the time, getting a used kit for $2K less than a new one ends up costing you the $2K to get that cheaper one up and running... I'm hoping for the best for you. Maybe Paul will cut you a deal on one he might have laying around ;)
True story

The firmware is 3.0.7 and I've calibrated the RPMS to 0000 while it is off. If I do have to buy a new FIC, I might just buy the whole FIC and harness and make sure it's from you guys.
No. The firmware.......Z300, Z104, Z107?

You obviously didn't do it right.

Go to Setup>Calibration

Punch a number into the RPMs you can hold steady throttle to. Say 3000RPMS. Follow directions.......car must be running
http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-1910.pdf

***See page 27

"The RPM calibration is performed by running the engine at the RPM shown in the RPM
box, as directed by the on-screen instructions. The RPM in the window can be changed
if desired. Click Auto in the RPM section and follow the on-screen instructions. The TPS
calibration is a two-point calibration, one at 0% throttle and one at 100% throttle. Click
Auto in the TPS section and follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate the TPS.
(Note: For drive by wire applications, the engine may need to be running in order to
open the throttle plate to 100%. Quickly blip the throttle to 100% and click the ok
button.) Always verify the TPS and RPM calibrations after uploading a file from a
different source. (Note: The TPS and RPM calibration settings are stored in the
calibration file.)"

Same with TPS.

Then go to the little hammer and wrench on top. Look at the ignition load input and make sure it's set to MAP.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True story

No. The firmware.......Z300, Z104, Z107?

You obviously didn't do it right.

Go to Setup>Calibration

Punch a number into the RPMs you can hold steady throttle to. Say 3000RPMS. Follow directions.......car must be running
http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-1910.pdf

***See page 27

"The RPM calibration is performed by running the engine at the RPM shown in the RPM
box, as directed by the on-screen instructions. The RPM in the window can be changed
if desired. Click Auto in the RPM section and follow the on-screen instructions. The TPS
calibration is a two-point calibration, one at 0% throttle and one at 100% throttle. Click
Auto in the TPS section and follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate the TPS.
(Note: For drive by wire applications, the engine may need to be running in order to
open the throttle plate to 100%. Quickly blip the throttle to 100% and click the ok
button.) Always verify the TPS and RPM calibrations after uploading a file from a
different source. (Note: The TPS and RPM calibration settings are stored in the
calibration file.)"

Same with TPS.

Then go to the little hammer and wrench on top. Look at the ignition load input and make sure it's set to MAP.
STICKY!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This just in: Hehe. Just talked to AEM tech support about the FIC unit and they said it doesn't sound like the FIC unit is bad since its able to communicate with the ECU. The harness is good if the bypass harness is in and the car starts without CEL. The ECU just doesnt like the noise its getting from the FIC (which can be fixed with resistors) Gonna try different size resistors later on today. Or even the same ones, maybe the ones I have are bad. Is there a polarity on the resistors that needs to be faced a certain way for install?

Woops on the calibration hehe. its flashed to Z104 and ive tried Z107 as well. bout to leave work grab some resistors and try that mod again. I'm learning Paul lol sorry.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This just in: Hehe. Just talked to AEM tech support about the FIC unit and they said it doesn't sound like the FIC unit is bad since its able to communicate with the ECU
From experience, I don't totally agree here. If the resistor values where incorrect, the PNP harness with the bypass would STILL trigger the CEL. Think about it.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From experience, I don't totally agree here. If the resistor values where incorrect, the PNP harness with the bypass would STILL trigger the CEL. Think about it.
How bout I take the resistors out put the bypass in and see if get the CEL??
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If no CEL with no resistors and bypass is in then the resistors would be bad right?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Yup thats how im feeling lol
Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

How bout I take the resistors out put the bypass in and see if get the CEL??
That might be an interesting experiment. Take the resistors out of the PNP, pop in bypass and report back.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bypass in. Resistors out. Starts right up No CEL no code.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Bypass in. Resistors out. Starts right up No CEL no code.
Do you know what tells us?

That means resistance is not the issue. Why? Because regardless of resistance stock or 2.2K it's same result with the wiring as is and no CEL. Again, this means all is well with the resistance values for the factory ECU to run and see the signal properly. The problem is most definitely the FIC's altering output of that signal. Because the FIC intercepts the crank to control timing, it has an input which we know is right because the factory ECU likes what it sees regardless. The FIC in the mix is garbing the signal output to the ECU which triggers the CEL.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know what tells us?

That means resistance is not the issue. Why? Because regardless of resistance stock or 2.2K it's same result with the wiring as is and no CEL. Again, this means all is well with the resistance values for the factory ECU to run and see the signal properly. The problem is most definitely the FIC's altering output of that signal. Because the FIC intercepts the crank to control timing, it has an input which we know is right because the factory ECU likes what it sees regardless. The FIC in the mix is garbing the signal output to the ECU which triggers the CEL.
Looks like your gonna have an order in your inbox soon for a fic and boomslang harness. I dont trust either pieces.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Well, check one more thing for me. Make sure your resistor is installed right. One leg of it needs to go to the orange/blk and the other leg of that resistor needs to go to the yellow/white stripe.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup orange/black to white/yellow on 22 pin connector. Yellow/black to blue/black on 24 pin connector. This is the right setup right?

Last edited by Jonny5ive; 04-02-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Yup orange/black to white/yellow on 22 pin connector. Yellow/black to blue/black on 24 pin connector. This is the right setup right?

Orange/black to yellow white on the 22 pin is correct. So is the one for the cam you said on the 24.

Quick Reply: Prep'd turbo install problem