Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

pressure on the motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default pressure on the motor

anyone know how much boost a stock tc motor can hold.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ONE BAJILIAN GRAMS of Bozzzt prezzurr...

Seriously do a search little guy. I've seen stock motors go on 6lbs and others hold on over ten daily...

and you are asking a relative question.
"How much can it hold you ask?.." the question is how long can it be held... heck if you have new replacement you can give me for my car , I'll show you my motor can hold 40PSI no problem... it'd be only for a split second... then something will go KABOOM... so don't bother going over 6-10LBs on a daily basis using a stock block.

Edit: after looking at your profile.. your using a tnetics kit?... if so the Unichip on that system is running at I believe 6.5LB's of boost. I would not turn it up more than that. I've blown my Motor's bearings on just the stock map. becarefull if you plan on changing the settings of that system. I hear that many people have had trouble when modifing their Tnetics kit.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember someone was running 16 pounds on the stock motor with a tight tune and actually a relatively large turbo (if I remember correctly).

I think the turbonetics kit is running like 8.5 PSI, personally I wouldn't go any higher than 10 PSI. And don't buy a TurboXS boost controller, mine was set to 10PSI and hit 22PSI lol....
Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion
I remember someone was running 16 pounds on the stock motor with a tight tune and actually a relatively large turbo (if I remember correctly).

I think the turbonetics kit is running like 8.5 PSI, personally I wouldn't go any higher than 10 PSI. And don't buy a TurboXS boost controller, mine was set to 10PSI and hit 22PSI lol....
22 psi.

I know Jeff was running 16lbs on his automatic for a while and it held. It all depends on the tune, and how much you beat on it, but it could blow at any time.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This was immediately after it was installed, checked over by the tuner and put on the dyno. The valve just completely opened even though it was turned closed. instant 22PSI, instant bent rods lol. built motor though now Weird thing was that the boost controller never held boost even after the motor was built; we tried it again and it spiked 3 or 4 pounds at least every time.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This was immediately after it was installed, checked over by the tuner and put on the dyno. The valve just completely opened even though it was turned closed. instant 22PSI, instant bent rods lol. built motor though now Weird thing was that the boost controller never held boost even after the motor was built; we tried it again and it spiked 3 or 4 pounds at least every time.
Wow. That is a huge spike! Manual or Electronic?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual. It was garbage basically.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well at least your built now!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the valve completely opened then the boost would drop. Boost will rise the more you close the boost controller. A boost controller works by hiding the boost that the wastegate can see.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had no idea how it worked honestly because I never got to use it besides following the direction and hooking it up. I just know that I did it right, and my tuner verified it. and it sucked. lol
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on octane, tuning and setup. First of all PSI means nothing. Two different turbos can make same power at two completely different boost pressures. Powerwise you going to hit your 93 octane limit at around 360 WHP or so. Without the availabilty of camshafts, that is pretty much how much dynamic compression our motors can take on 93 octane without detonation. Now add in high octane fuel and you can probably hit high 400's buut darn risky. I usually keep them limited to around 430 WHP on a stock motor and do not recommend people run it that high for extended periods of time. I use ONLY VP race fuels myself. Their Streetblaze 103 works great for a low cost high octane fuel that is cat friendly (in the unlikely case you still have it on the car). Otherwise I use Q16 or C16