Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING: 3" Turbo-Back & S-Back - IN STOCK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Default PTUNING: 3" Turbo-Back & S-Back - IN STOCK!

Per numerous PMs and email requests for special pre-order pricing, we have decided to offer the PTUNING 3" turbo-back and s-back at the following Special PRE-ORDER Pricing (Expires July 31, 200:

$75 OFF PTUNING 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust:
Please click link to redeem your $75 OFF:
http://www.ptuning.com/html/redeem_c...H1001EXP073108

Please click link to order turbo-back:
http://www.ptuning.com/html/search-r...ord=PTPEXH1001

$50 OFF PTUNING 3" S-Back Exhaust:
Please click link to redeem your $50 OFF:
http://www.ptuning.com/html/redeem_c...H1000EXP073108

Please click link to order s-back:
http://www.ptuning.com/html/search-r...ord=PTPEXH1000

* Exhausts will be available to ship within the next 3 weeks.
* Pre-orders will be shipped based on when it was received.
* Due to the increase in shipping cost, we can no longer offer free shipping. However, we are offering discounted shipping on the exhaust systems.

If you wish to order by phone, please call our Toll-Free Line: 1-877-788-6464
Thank you once again for your interest and support.

Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING
www.ptuning.com

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mmmm

lower the price

pleassssssssssse
Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will they be available for pickup?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

now you do a preorder....
Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I have the same question. I'll drive down there to get it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Customers are definitely welcome to pick-up the exhaust at our facility here in Virginia (once they are in stock). However, pre-order is still required to get the special pricing.

Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING
www.ptuning.com

Old 07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question - why is it called a turbo-back when it only goes to the downpipe? All other manufactures that make a "turbo-back" exhaust literally mean from the turbo's exhaust housing and back.

Not bashing or anything, just wondering. It's definitely a beautiful product.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tC_2NeR
mmmm

lower the price

pleassssssssssse
We really wish we could lower the price.
With raw material and everything else going up, we were lucky to still be able to keep the exhausts at the same price.

Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING
www.ptuning.com

Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Question - why is it called a turbo-back when it only goes to the downpipe? All other manufactures that make a "turbo-back" exhaust literally mean from the turbo's exhaust housing and back.

to do a true turbo back would be a lot more complicated since there are a bunch of different turbo kits offered for our tC's.

also, don't see the need since most of the current DP's on the kits are catless, and usually 2.5 or 3 already
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8

to do a true turbo back would be a lot more complicated since there are a bunch of different turbo kits offered for our tC's.

also, don't see the need since most of the current DP's on the kits are catless, and usually 2.5 or 3 already
lol I totally understand why they don't include the DP.. my question was why it's called a turbo-back instead of a down-pipe back.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my guess is the DP is part of the turbo, so turbo back makes sense
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure when the last time I purchased a turbo and it came with the DP from the same manufacturer...

But we're going off topic.

Bump for a sweet looking exhaust.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not sure when the last time I purchased a turbo and it came with the DP from the same manufacturer...

But we're going off topic.

Bump for a sweet looking exhaust.
if you are building a custom kit, then it won't come with a DP. but if you buy a Greddy, TT, Dezod (which also comes with s-pipe), T-netics, etc.... they all include the downpipe.

Sounds like you are one of the special few that build the kit piece by piece
Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 PM

lol I totally understand why they don't include the DP.. my question was why it's called a turbo-back instead of a down-pipe back.
Let's clear up some terminology here regarding exhaust systems for turbocharged car. In the industry, a cat-back exhaust system usually refers to an exhaust system after the cat (underneath the car). A turbo-back exhaust system usually refers to an exhaust system that includes both the cat-back exhaust and a downpipe which connects the cat-back exhaust system to the exhaust outlet of the turbo. A turbo-back does not necessarily means that the downpipe connects the cat-back directly to the outlet flange of the turbine housing.

Take for an example the mitsubishi evo 8&9. When you buy a turbo-back exhaust system for the evo, you're basically getting a cat-back with a downpipe that connects not directly to the turbine outlet flange, but instead to what's called an O2 housing. This O2 housing, as the name implies is a short casted section of exhaust that bolts to the turbine outlet flange. The word O2 housing is used because it houses the front O2 sensor.

So let's translate this to a Scion tc with a turbo kit. If you looked at the greddy turbo kit, for example, you will notice a short cast-iron exhaust housing section connected to the turbine outlet flange, this is what us turbo guys refer to as the O2 housing--Not downpipe. The s-pipe on the tc should have been called the downpipe in the first place-but since it's shaped like an s, someone decide to called it an s-pipe, but NA or Turbo, this pipe is referred to as the downpipe by the honda, nissan, mitubishi, subaru, and the rest of the car community.

To add to the confusion, toyota decides to make the rear cat part of the mid-section of the exhaust, so we really can't refer to our s-back exhaust as a cat-back, but instead called it an s-back. We would have rather called it downpipe back, because that's what it really is.

Since there are a variety of turbo kit configurations for the tc; some turbo are mounted high, requiring a longer o2 housing, some are mounted low, requiring a short O2 housing, the bottom line is as far as terminology is concern, our turbo-back is what most turbo community would refer to as a turbo-back, ie. downpipe+catback with either a cat or straight pipe in between.

When we release our turbo kit, it will include a 3" Downpipe/O2 connected directly to the turbine outlet flange. The O2 section, or what some are referring to as the downpipe is part of our downpipe, or should i say s-pipe. Confused?

If you use the word s-pipe when talking to anyone that doesn't own a scion, they're not going to have a clue what you're talking about, but if you used the word downpipe they will.

So maybe we should all take a step back and start fresh, using the word downpipe when referering to the s-pipe and use the word O2 housing when referring to the short section of exhaust bolted to the turbine outlet. This way the rest of the turbo world we'll understand what the heck we're talking about. Maybe we should have called it an O2 housing-back exhaust system which is exactly what you get when you buy a turbo-back exhaust for an evo.

If you're still confused, please let me know.

MrC

Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No this is a great explanation. I too was wondering why we have an "s-pipe". So basically our DP that comes with most turbo kits is more like the DSM's O2 pipe. That's a good way of thinking of it.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM

No this is a great explanation. I too was wondering why we have an "s-pipe". So basically our DP that comes with most turbo kits is more like the DSM's O2 pipe. That's a good way of thinking of it.
I'm glad someone understands. Here's another odd ball..ever try to take the measurements on a wheel. For example, if you have a 18x7 wheel, try measuring the outer diameter of the wheel, it's not 18" or try measuring the outer width of the wheel, it's not 7". It all depends on where you take the measurements.

Here's another one. If you bought a set of 89mm pistons, there's no diameter on the piston that is exactly 89mm either at the crown or at the bottom of the skirt. The clearance is built into the piston, but the 89mm refers to the final bore of the cylinder. Sometimes things don't always make sense but it does once someone explains it to you in lamens term.

Here's another big confusion for most people. When your bearing journal on your crank is scuffed and your machinist has to polished it down and what you end up with is a crank with a smaller journal. To make up the clearance for the smaller journal, you will need to get a thicker bearing. Now the question is do you buy an oversize bearing or an undersize bearing. Most people would say "Oversize". But in the engine building industry, no one really makes or uses an "oversize" bearing for an undersize crank. We'll does that mean you through away the crank? No. The word "undersize" in "undersize bearing" refers to the "undersize" crank diameter and not the thickness of the bearing being thinner or undersized. So now once you understand the context of how the word "undersize" is used regarding bearing, everything makes sense.

MrC

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol.. actually I'm glad you brought this up.

I learned this when I tore down a 1.9L Saturn DOHC motor. The crank was repolished and the journals were taken down just slightly. I was told to purchase undersized bearings but instead I used the stock ones since I wanted more of a clearance since the motor would be seeing lots of boost and hp. The motor was originally built for me but I had to go to college, so no money left for a project. The new owner of the block had around 400whp with that engine on a smallish T04B.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
I'm glad someone understands. Here's another odd ball..ever try to take the measurements on a wheel. For example, if you have a 18x7 wheel, try measuring the outter diameter of the wheel, it's not 18" or try measuring the outer with of the wheel, it's not 7". It all depends on where you take the measurements.

Here's another one. If you bought a set of 89mm pistons, there's no diameter on the piston that is exactly 89mm either at the crown or at the bottom of the skirt. The clearance is built into the piston, but the 89mm refers to the final bore of the cylinder. Sometimes things don't always make sense but it does once someone explains it to you in lamens term.

Here's another big confusion for most people. When your bearing journal on your crank is scuffed and your machinist has to polished it down and what you end up with is a crank with a smaller journal. To make up the clearance for the smaller journal, you will need to get a thicker bearing. Now the question is do you buy an oversize bearing or an undersize bearing. Most people would say "Oversize". But in the engine building industry, no one really makes or uses an "oversize" bearing for an undersize crank. We'll does that mean you through away the crank? No. The word "undersize" in "undersize bearing" refers to the "undersize" crank diameter and not the thickness of the bearing being thinner or undersized. So now once you understand the context of how the word "undersize" is used regarding bearing, everything makes sense.

MrC
MrC. why do people drive on parkway's, and park on driveways? and how come dog poop doesn't turn white anymore? also, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by brett561tc
MrC. why do people drive on parkway's, and park on driveways? and how come dog poop doesn't turn white anymore? also, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
I've always wonder about the parkway and driveway. But if you look it from the perspective of the drunk that came up with those words, it makes sense, he would pass out and stop on the parkway and drive straight through his garage door going up the driveway. Of course here in the DC metro we don't always drive on the parkway, sometime we drive on the beltway--don't ask me where the "belt" came from. You got me on the other two questions.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Does a bear crap in the woods???

Quick Reply: PTUNING: 3" Turbo-Back & S-Back - IN STOCK!