Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Questions on different turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 AM

Default Questions on different turbo kits

Hey guys, I have been looking at some turbo kits for my 07 auto...I have been looking at Dezod S1, Ptuning, and Descendant...all of them complete kits.

My 1st question is that on Descendant, it comes with 750cc injector size that are plug-n-play but on Dezod if you click on 725cc injector size, it says its NOT plug-n-play. Why is that?

2nd question is between the three, what one is more recommend or best proven? I figure there all very similar.

3rd question is on Dezod, you can either have either a Off Road Special-catless & recirculated dump or a Catted Downpipe w/ recirculate dump tube. Is there much of a sound difference between the two since ones catless and the other one catted or is one preferred over another for some reason other than if you happen to live in a state which requires cat? and are the over brands catted or catless?

4th question would be that I have noticed Ptuning's air filter goes in the fender just like a CAI and Descendant and Dezod filters sit in the engine bay like a SRI. Since I already have a Injen CAI, could I use the lower part of the intake that goes in the fender on the Dezod or Descendant? or does that not really matter since the air gets sucked through an intercooler?

5th question is when I was doing research on a CAI...on the 07 they did something a little different with the mass air flow sensor and only select CAI wouldn't set of the CEL...the reason why I got Injen CAI...but does any of these three set off CEL?

6th question is none of these kits come with a boost gauge. So is it really necessary to have one?

I don't plan on boosting on anything over 8psi.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will answer everything but the injector question. Descendant is well known for their turbo kits for tCs and there are a lot of those out there. Catless downpipe basically means that you would make a lot of pops from the exhaust since there are no cats to prevent them. If you get the catted downpipe then the sound wouldn't be as loud as non catted. For the intake I think you should be fine since it is an aftermarket product. The MAF is completely different in size from 07-10. It shouldn't set off the CEL. Kits are meant to give you the extra power you want but they don't want to be responsible for any wrong numbers if hooked up from them. That is for you to do on your own if you want to know exactly how much you are pushing so you don't go overboard and blow the motor.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1.plug and play means,no cutting or splicing,take out stock,put in new ones...

2...its all in the tune..there are great kits...

3...answered above..

4..youll prob not be able to use your current intake system..

5...05-06 maf are different then 07-above.....yes certain intakes thats not tuned for the car will set of cel...get what you pay for

6...yes,its good to have a boost gauge,esp with tunning the car,same as with a afr gauge,to main things,you should have
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmeays08
but on Dezod if you click on 725cc injector size, it says its NOT plug-n-play. Why is that?
All of the injector options we offer with our kits are Plug-n-play.

3rd question is on Dezod, you can either have either a Off Road Special-catless & recirculated dump or a Catted Downpipe w/ recirculate dump tube. Is there much of a sound difference between the two since ones catless and the other one catted or is one preferred over another for some reason other than if you happen to live in a state which requires cat? and are the over brands catted or catless?
The catted downpipe is a touch more quiet because the cat acts like a muffler of sorts. We are the only ones that offer a catted downpipe.....

Dezod filters sit in the engine bay like a SRI. Since I already have a Injen CAI, could I use the lower part of the intake that goes in the fender on the Dezod? or does that not really matter since the air gets sucked through an intercooler?
You could probably adapt it if you wanted too, but I doubt you would see that much difference in power as a whole unless you where seeing IATs of 30+ degrees less than the engine bay IAT temps.

6th question is none of these kits come with a boost gauge. So is it really necessary to have one?
None of the kits include a boost gauge, however if it closes the deal, I will make it happen. A boost gauge is nice piece of instrumentation that offers an idea as to what's happening and can save your engine in the event of some component failure offering more boost etc. It's a piece of diagnostic instrumentation.