Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Raising the Rev Limit with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Raising the Rev Limit with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate

This only works with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate (not e-Manage Blue). To this date (07/28/200 the AEM FIC does not have this capability.

This mod will work wonders in cars other than the Scion tC and it will work perfectly too on N/A or turbocharged engines.

The Ultimate, as a piggy-back, is receiving an I/J Input pulse from the stock ECU all the time while the engine is running and under the rev limit. The Ultimate then looks at the Fuel Maps (I/J Adjustment and Airflow Adjustment Maps)
and then either trims or adds to the original pulse duration and finally sends it to the Injectors. The Stock ECU controls the Rev Limit by cutting the fuel supplied to the engine once it reaches it to prevent the engine from reving any higher.
The Ignition Output is still there and firing the coils when needed. Ignition duties are still controlled by the Ignition Adjustment Map so you don’t need to modify anything ignition related to make this work.

I have done this on the Scion tC up to 6,600rpm’s for close to a year with no problems on a bone stock turbo engine pushing +350hp. I also used it on a fully built engine and
raised it to 7,600rpm’s to +500hp and worked fine too. Nonetheless I can not guarantee it working nor I am responsible for any damage you may cause your engine/wallet while trying it.

What the Ultimate does is take charge of the whole Injection Pulse once you reach the stock rev limit and completely supplies it’s own Injection Pulse to the Injectors according
to the Rev Limit Cut Setting (RLCS). After the stock rev limit is reached the only map controlling fuel supply to the engine will be RLCS; not the Airflow Adjustment Map or I/J Adjustment Maps.

For the example below I used I/J Output Duration but it may as well be used with I/J Output Duty Cycle.
The process of raising the rev limit is simple but time consuming and you better do it right because your engine relies on it.
This is a guide to make it work but you need to prepare your engine so that it can work correctly at a higher rev limit.
1-Before beginning the process of raising the rev limit you first need to fully tune your engine up to the stock rev limit. This whole raising the rev limit process is definitely not designed to be done before you tune the engine.
2-Make completely sure you followed the first step.
3-After the engine is tuned you need to make some datalogs of WOT passes beginning with the lower boost level possible with your wastegate and continue up until the desired max boost level going to be used.
The datalogs need to be made on 3rd or 4th gear if possible and you need to take the car up to the stock rev limit. At least you need to log Engine Speed, Throttle Position, GReddy Pressure sensor and I/J Output Duration.
This is an example of the datalog:

4-Take note of the I/J Output Duration just before Stock Rev Limit (6,300 rpm’s in this example) at as many load points (boost levels) as possible using all the datalogs needed.
5-Open the RLCS window and begin by changing the scale on top so that the top left is below Stock rev limit (6,200 rpm’s for us) and top right is going to be the Ultimate New Rev limit (say 6,600rpm’s).
It should look something like this but on the top right will be your new rev limit instead of my 7,550rpm’s. The left white column will be filled with the numbers you got from the datalogs made earlier.

6-Go ahead and calculate the right white column taking into account what the behavior of the engine you think will be at the new rev limit. Here you need to take your time and put a number higher
than what you think it should be so that the engine runs richer than expected. You can then lower the number until you are comfortable with the engine’s AFR while over the stock rev limit.
7-Take some more time and gather new datalogs while at WOT and check them so that there are no strange spikes or anything out of order and correct as necessary.
8-Make sure you have a safe AFR at WOT and go ahead and call your friends to show them your new mod!
9- Thank me for the help and make sure to give me credit if /when you copy or re-post this info.

Enjoy
Mecanica Pito
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-11-2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good post and I wanted to add something the tuner that tuned the ultimate I had raised my rev limiter even though I told him not to. I went to the drag strip doing a burn out and watching my rpm's after getting around 6600 I would back out of the throttle and get back into it (still doing the burnout), then I lined up to run my emanage triggered a fault. Due to me having rev passed the OEM rev limiter and going to the Greddy set limit once I backed off of the throttle and the OEM ECU saw I was above its limiter it cut the fuel and my Ultimate couldn't do anything to add more fuel because the stock ecu had cut it at this point, the car started running like crap, I needed to turn it off and restart it to reset the fault in the Emanage.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stupid fuel cut

note: only the 07-08 model tc's have fuel cut

05-06 rev bounce

i found that out at the track lol.

16.39 run on turbo tc!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice post. my tuner asked me if i wanted to raise my rev a bit as well but i chose not to take the risk. good to hear you've been running 6600 no problem though.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will that also raise your top speed a little?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
stupid fuel cut

05-06 rev bounce

Same. I'm getting pretty good at dancing right around 6k rpm in 2nd gear, but god help me if I stray over the line; the resultant swearing is of epic proportions.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
stupid fuel cut

05-06 rev bounce

16.39 run on turbo tc!
Yeah...I was wondering about this as well.
What year of tC did you raise the limiter on?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Originally Posted by aen
stupid fuel cut
05-06 rev bounce
16.39 run on turbo tc!
I did it to a 2006 tC!
I don't get what rev bounce is????

Pito
Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

man i have an o8
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mecanica_Pito
Originally Posted by aen
stupid fuel cut
05-06 rev bounce
16.39 run on turbo tc!
I did it to a 2006 tC!
I don't get what rev bounce is????

Pito
Instead of the car bouncing off the rev limiter like the 05-06 Tc does, once the 07-08 Tc hits the rev limiter it automatically drops the RPM to somewhere around 5K then it will let you continue on the gas
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...on a regular 05-06 tc, if you keep gassing it, it will "bounce" on the rev limiter
on the 07-08 tc, when you hit the rev limiter, it actually cuts fuel so your RPMs drop way down to 5K or so.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...on a regular 05-06 tc, if you keep gassing it, it will "bounce" on the rev limiter
on the 07-08 tc, when you hit the rev limiter, it actually cuts fuel so your RPMs drop way down to 5K or so.
OK. I get it now!
It will still override the stock rev limit on 2007-08 tC's but don't know how it will behave after a gear change, etc. and it may still drop to 5,000rpm's

Pito
Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Glad I have an 06...hehe. I plan to rev out to 6800rpm.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^Glad I have an 06...hehe. I plan to rev out to 6800rpm.
Is that on the Hydra?

I am now reving SCIONGT35R's car only to 8,200rpm's
We no longer envy sport bikes reving up when the exhaust cutout is open!!!!

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My fellow boriqua - what do you think is the limit for a stock motor/valve train? I'm wanting to push to 6,800 atleast as rhythm has mentioned.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

wow this is interesting. Damn 07 differences. Blah
Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

good info here, you gotta love higher revs!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
My fellow boriqua - what do you think is the limit for a stock motor/valve train? I'm wanting to push to 6,800 atleast as rhythm has mentioned.
As mentioned before we have reved to 6,600rpm's for close to a year while it was pushing 350HP without problems. It was even over reved by mishifts several times without problems. I think the stock valvetrain can handle more than 6,600rpm's but not sure up to what level.
I heard somewhere here on the forum that it supposedly reaches 7,100 but I have not tested it.

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

damm, this info sounds awesome

so to all those using FIcs, do you think that aem will eventually add this as a feature

+1 for the emanage
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you cant really get passed 6600 full throttle, the rev limiter will kick in and your stuck bouncing the rev limiter... if your a good driver you should be able to pop the clutch just before 6500 and it will dip into 6700 rpms and once u engage you should be back at 4500 to 5k rpms steady

on my stock VT setup i use to tap 6600 all the time and did not have an issue how ever i did over rev once and bent a valve... which led me to just go big and swap out for a new VT from ferrea which i should now be able to pop to 7800 to 8k rpms easy. but for something like that your going to want a full titanium VT wil dual valve springs to handle to abuse..

also for those wanting to rev a tad higher.. on a top end run 135+ you wont be able to push it much past it as by 135 mph your roughly going to be at 6500 rpms and once you over rev 6600 your check engine light will pop on and your car WILL drop down to about 5k or 6k rpms.... at that point you've basically maxed out the transmission almost and you'd need to adjust the final drive and 4th and 5th gear to be able to rev more and still be able to have a higher top speed.. trust me on these things as ive done a few top end races and have lost due to the limiter at 135ish while maxing out the tranny

this is something im taking care of now with a new tranny ive built, new final drive and new 4th and 5th gears... should be able to top 150 now =) i just havent let the cat out the bag yet

Quick Reply: Raising the Rev Limit with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate