Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Retrofitting supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM

Default Retrofitting supercharger

Hi, my name is mark and im from the UK. Been looking at the scion superchargers on ebay as im researching on how to best supercharge my Mistubishi FTO.

Seems a very good candidate for my needs, the shaft is a big help as in my engine bay its pretty tight on the left hand side.

Here's a few pics of my car at the moment, got a wide arch kit on its way then a full respray in Alfa Romeo limited edition light blue to silver flip. -

The info I need at the moment is the standard crank pulley size and the overall dimensions of the supercharger and shaft if possible.

Thanks for any help,

Mark..
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant help ya.. ive honestly never seen that car before, but it looks awesome. Good luck man
Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 PM

They were never offically sold over here in the UK (apart from a couple of rally art editions) they are mostly Jap imports.

Putting out about 200 bhp at the moment so want a little extra performance and going the supercharger route is easier than than turbo as its a V6 the pipework can be a bit fiddly and room is tight.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrong section, but damn! nice find... i remember playing around with those in Gran Turismo
Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

FTO...nice. Seen those before. Definitely rare to come across one though.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...i don't know the exact measurements of the supercharger, but it looks like fitting it in there would be very tight, just trying to use my imagination to squeeze it in that engine bay. and it would require alot of custom mounting to make it fit.

if you insist on supercharging, i think you would be better off with a twin-screw. the tc uses a centrifugal supercharger mainly because there isn't enough room between the intake manifold and the firewall to fit on in there. but it looks like you have enough room with your engine further up to fit a twin screw supercharger in there.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can't believe you haven't seen one before, haven't you played gran turismo before?

also, this is semi correct forum for this thread, it is about using a forced induction part for the tc for his FTO. and while technically it is for a different car, he is really asking for the measurements of the supercharger itself, which is a valid scion tc forced induction question.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WANT THAT CAR.

HOW ,MUCH?! lol

i really do want one of those tho....
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FTO

i was playing with this car in one of the videogames... cant remember.. it was like almost 10 years ago
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM

There may not be enough room in the upper part of the engine bay but it may be possible to mount it at the rear underneath.

There are few guys doing turbo, supercharger and engine transplants at the moment on the fto owners club so I thought i'd try something different.

I need the standard crank pulley size to calculate the new drive pulley size as FTO's dont like much more than 6 psi on standard internals as the engine is high compression as standard.

Can always change the supercharger pulley in the future if I ever get around to fitting forged internals.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

it was in Tokyo extreme racer zero.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I don't think you'll be too satisfied with the tC's supercharger. It'll be a lot of work for extra power only at redline. You'll get full boost at the early part of your powerband with pretty much any other form of forced induction.

Normally I like different just to be different but this would come at a pretty big sacrifice.

I would personally go with a twin screws type supercharger.

But if you wanna go with a stealth type setup that'd be pretty cool. I mean, if that's what you mean by placing it 'underneath.' I hope someone gets the measurements for the supercharger for you. Please keep us up to date with whatever you choose to do.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

paddle shifting ftw!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved Tokyo extreme racer zero!....but the ones they came out with after that one was blaaaaah
Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The 9.5 pulley is 65mm. Im assuming the stock one is about 75mm. What else did you need a measurement of?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Honestly, I don't think you'll be too satisfied with the tC's supercharger. It'll be a lot of work for extra power only at redline. You'll get full boost at the early part of your powerband with pretty much any other form of forced induction.

Normally I like different just to be different but this would come at a pretty big sacrifice.
well, that is one of the benefits of centrifugal superchargers, little to no boost at lower rpms means your avg mpg is virtually uneffected at lower speeds, and you don't have to be over sensitive with the gas pedal to avoid excessive wheel spin at lower rpms. despite running 9.5 psi, i still get the same overal mileage out of every tank since before i went supercharged.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, and if it helps, the trd supercharger is just a vortech v5 f-trim supercharger. probably better to just order that and fabricate the rest since the trd kit would come with alot of stuff that you will and won't need like serpentine belt, only 4 spark plugs and bigger injectors when you need 6 of each,

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=13

and here are the measurements of the supercharger

8.93" Wide, 9.72" Tall (not including bracket), 5.82" Deep (not including input shaft)
Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

thanks for all the info guys,

Few more questions -

1) does the supercharger require an oil feed or is it self contained.

2) does it have an integrated bypass valve or do you need an external one?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of head unit is that???
Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jct
what kind of head unit is that???
An alpine double din - 3 disc in dash cd changer, mini disk player, radio and alpine 6 disc shuttle under arm rest. Does more than ill ever learn to use

spotted a scion charger on ebay I like the look of so I think ill get some bids in and see how it goes.

Ill have to do some maths to work out what size crank pulley to get made up to drive the charger at 6 psi now

Quick Reply: Retrofitting supercharger