Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

So... when you are done installing all of your hardware...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So... when you are done installing all of your hardware...

...and it's time to turn the car on (turbo kit... lets say dezod for now)

you prefill the oil filter, pop that on, fill up the engine with a little bit more oil than factory specs, put the oil line into a bucket and crank the engine untill oil spews out, then screw it onto the turbo's inline, crank once more, then start the engine?

also wipe down the header with alcohol so you dont get heat marks or anything...

are there any other prep proceduers before turning on the engine? and once you turn on the engine after everything has been done properly, can you run the car for 40 miles or so without any dyno tune?

also, lets say you have a wideband afr gauge running too... what numbers should you be reading on it while in idle, accelerating, cruising?

i'll be buying the dezod kit for the 07 auto when it comes out and i really want to make sure i can get this thing ready to drive it to a shop 40 miles away to get it tuned!

thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Let it idle for a few minutes after the first initial crank. Then steadily raise then lower RPMS. Anytime out of boost, say idle or cruising, the stock ecm will still have control of everything and expect AFR to be in the mid 14's and maybe even a little higher at idle. Under boost at WOT (partial throttle is not tunable with emanage) you will wanna be around 11's. Maybe a slightly higher/lower depending on your climate. The stock tune/map from whats been said about the dezod kit is that its good. Very rich, but how rich exactly i have no clue. You should be fine. I'm stuck with the stock map until i get a clutch installed which will be done 1 week after i order the kit.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, 14's?!

isn't that a little dangerous? i mean, i will be running 2 step colder plugs and 91 octane fuel, but still... that kind of scares me...

so theoretically if i was never to go into WOT, the stock ecm is doing the "tuning" ? so even if I get a dyno tune, at partial throttle it is always the same...

this means if i drive to the dyno shop 40 miles away without flooring it, my ride back will be the same if i dont floor it?!

that's a little hard to belive

thank you for your response though, i appriciate it!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

/\/\ That is correct to the best of my knowledge. That's why DEZOD is developing a new EMS for their T.E.A. kits. Eliminate the stock use from everything but drive by wire i believe.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mike6789k
WOW, 14's?! isn't that a little dangerous?
Not N/A. 14's are Stoich. Where theoreticaly all fuel atoms are burned in combustion. Most econo cars run like this to optimize fuel consumption.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so theoretically if i was never to go into WOT, the stock ecm is doing the "tuning" ? so even if I get a dyno tune, at partial throttle it is always the same...

this means if i drive to the dyno shop 40 miles away without flooring it, my ride back will be the same if i dont floor it?!

that's a little hard to belive
True, and think about it... In partial throttle you're still going to be pulling vaccum. Not gonna build any boost until mid-full throttle. And even at mid-throttle how much boost will you likely build? 2-3lbs? Maybe 4 if you're lucky? The TRD supercharger runs mid 14's AFR, high 13's WOT
Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the oil line for the turbo bit... You can actually connect everything, and just unplug your spark plug wires. Turn the engine over for about 10-12 seconds and then you're fine to turn the car over after reconnecting the wires.

The fuel thing being at 14.7 is fine. By Tuesday night, I should have some great news for everyone about phase 1 of our multi phase EMS development we've been doing. The best part is that is a dual EMS setup so existing Dezod and other FI customers can still take advantage of our partial throttle control.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohh ok, so its alright to be in the 14's even in partial throttle because there isnt much boost anyway and the stock MAF can handle that?

and also, will the tuner know what to do? will they be confused when they cant tune non wot?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

/\/\ depends on how much your tuner knows about emanage
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

ohh ok, so its alright to be in the 14's even in partial throttle because there isnt much boost anyway and the stock MAF can handle that?

and also, will the tuner know what to do? will they be confused when they cant tune non wot?
Yes, it is alright... the ECU responds to boost well and when out of it in partial throttle, it will be fine in the 14s... just like it was before the turbo was there, and how it ran in partial throttle without a turbo there... and no boost

And any tuner familiar with Toyota's ECU will know all the problems with the stock ECU and partial throttle tuning...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, so here is a question for you then... what if you are ALMOST at WOT, but not quite there... so you are almost building up to max boost, how does the ecu handle that?

once i slap on my kit, this really means that i can drive anywhere without flooring it then, right? woww, i still find this hard to belive!!!

so what happens if i floor my car? should i see afrs drop to 10-12 if its tuned properly?

what is all this talk about greddy's base map sucking and causing problems above 4000 rpms and such... if you arent flooring it, but are above 4000 rpms, what does the map have to do with anything?

THANKS !!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have seen both of the Greddy Base maps, they run awfully rich that is all. The Ultimate tune is a little more agressive then the Blue tune. As I have compared them.

I really dont know why it has such a bad rep, every companies base map is gonna "suck".

But to answer your question, if all things are hooked up right, your AFRs should be very rich with the base map.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zer0, but to clear things up, it will only be very rich when I floor it, right?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talked to you on AIM, hope that helped.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Talked to you on AIM, hope that helped.
yep, you are the man zer0