Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Is there anyone with a Roots type S/C??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I know plenty of Miata owners that LOVE theirs. If a maker has poor quality, that has nothing to do with the style. I know a miata running over 300 whp on his and loves every bit of it
Fully built internals I imagine with a roots on a Miata. There are plenty with turbos that make that power on a stock engine.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, if you think its "cool"..you do it! No ones gonna waste their time and money to do it....
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by howiedds
ok, if you think its "cool"..you do it! No ones gonna waste their time and money to do it....
cuz im a broke college student....i can bet my life someone will do it...its a scion..there is no never...thas just your opinion that its a waste..if your intentions are road courses then this supercharger would be an excellent option...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Our motors are small enough to not have to worry about lag. I sure as hell didn't feel any lag in the PTuning Time Attack tC when I was in it at Summit Point.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I know plenty of Miata owners that LOVE theirs. If a maker has poor quality, that has nothing to do with the style. I know a miata running over 300 whp on his and loves every bit of it
Fully built internals I imagine with a roots on a Miata. There are plenty with turbos that make that power on a stock engine.
Pfft, who needs turbo chargers or super chargers when you can have an LS1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SuQ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbE99O-rbLY&NR=1
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe

Well we're talking about something that's practical... lol. LS1 is nice, but you also have to rethink your suspension with all that added weight.

Fieros are good cars for LS1's too.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe

Well we're talking about something that's practical... lol. LS1 is nice, but you also have to rethink your suspension with all that added weight.

Fieros are good cars for LS1's too.
Apparently the car still maintained a 50/50 weight distribution. The LS1 is a VERY lightweight motor for its size. It only weighs in around 400lbs. Granted it really isn't very practical, considering an LS1 alone will cost you up to $10,000, but it's a great motor.

There was a swap done on an R34 for drifting, and compared to the RB26, the bigger LS1 weighed almost 100lbs less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdECAZjrvLE
Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's incredible if true...

So that means an LS1 would weigh as much as the stock Miata motor??
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

That's incredible if true...

So that means an LS1 would weigh as much as the stock Miata motor??
I believe it weighs a little bit more, but it's probably very close. Cast iron weighs a lot compared to aluminum.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...oject-pix.html

They talk about how the vehicle maintained roughly the same weight/weight distribution after the swap. I'm sure they removed a ton of other stuff from the engine bay, but what's the point in ABS if you're making a V8 Miata .
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

He finally blew the motor (this is a dedicated autox car) this season.. replaced it with another used motor out of a salvage yard.. The one he blew had over 125,000 miles when he first built up the sc to produce that power. I am not sure exactly how much building he did.. but I know he didnt fully build it. They are fairly strong motors believe it or not. Of course, this is not a daily driver .. it is trailored to autox events. It is not remotely street legal

And it is an incredible autox car... gutted, 1900 lbs, 10.5 " wide slicks, etc.. not much touches it in xp.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Plenty of people have looked at putting a small block in the tC I know if I had another tc sitting around, the extra money and space (and time) I would be tempted to do so.

But, in the tC, the best place for it would be in place of the back seat with a transaxle to drive the rear wheels. Tons of work and a lot of dough.. but one helluva car. Even if you just used a typical 350. Heavier.. but you can build a 350 fairly cheap and you can make more NA power than you would ever need in this car. A ZZ350 crate motor will push over 350 hp out of the box.. with a ton of room for wiggle :D That would be the little brother to the ZZ572 (600 - 700 hp NA) I would love to put in a larger car .... I just need to come across a winning lottery ticket and I am set on both projects...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Plenty of people have looked at putting a small block in the tC I know if I had another tc sitting around, the extra money and space (and time) I would be tempted to do so.

But, in the tC, the best place for it would be in place of the back seat with a transaxle to drive the rear wheels. Tons of work and a lot of dough.. but one helluva car. Even if you just used a typical 350. Heavier.. but you can build a 350 fairly cheap and you can make more NA power than you would ever need in this car. A ZZ350 crate motor will push over 350 hp out of the box.. with a ton of room for wiggle :D That would be the little brother to the ZZ572 (600 - 700 hp NA) I would love to put in a larger car .... I just need to come across a winning lottery ticket and I am set on both projects...
I've been severely contemplating it for a while. I have a gutted tC with no motor sitting in my driveway. The rightful owner has yet to pick it up, but I have no clue wtf is going on with it. I was contacted by another person about it, and they said they've already done the measurements to put a 350 in it.

If I had the money to throw at it, I'd put an LS1 into it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He finally blew the motor (this is a dedicated autox car) this season.. replaced it with another used motor out of a salvage yard.. The one he blew had over 125,000 miles when he first built up the sc to produce that power. I am not sure exactly how much building he did.. but I know he didnt fully build it. They are fairly strong motors believe it or not. Of course, this is not a daily driver .. it is trailored to autox events. It is not remotely street legal

And it is an incredible autox car... gutted, 1900 lbs, 10.5 " wide slicks, etc.. not much touches it in xp.
Jeebus... sounds like an amazing little car.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey anyone give it a go yet? lol im dyin to see a tC whine...not whistle like the weak trd supercharger....cmon somebody try it already!!!!!!