Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger/Intake combo...inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Supercharger/Intake combo...inquiry

Did a search, couldn't find anything...Anybody ever make an intake that doesn't conflict with the TRD supercharger yet? Getting ready to purchase both, intake 1st, but gunna hold off if all aftermarket intakes still get in the way of the supercharger...Thanks in advance for yer help.

TRD has a "Coming soon" logo on their CAI, that's all I could find. . .

Drive a tC, '06...by the way
Old 11-24-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the TRD intake is available already

but if you want to mate it with the supercharger you will have to modify it to fit, cut before the MAF adapter.

just make sure you have a wideband to monitor any changes from before and after
Old 11-24-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't wanna sound n00bish. Mass Air Flow Sensor right? Yea, need that... Since I'm getting the supercharger dealership installed, would they also do the modification for the intake? ...actually, I think I'll just call and ask them tomorrow.

Edit: Wideband? Is that something to monitor the air/fuel ratio? I've heard of problems with the ratio when modifying an intake for the tc to fit with the supercharger
Old 11-24-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

was just reading up on it....would i need the air/fuel ratio gauge itself to monitor it, or i saw there are just 'standalone' wideband controllers w/oxygen sensor...would that do the job of making sure the ratio was kept within the tc's specs?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it has already been proven in past posts that taking a normal aftermarket intake and using it w/ the s/c made the car lean out too much. I will have a custom made one and it will be dyno tested within the next few months so we shall be able to get factual results about how much power can be made with my setup. It seems like the typical power is 8-16whp depending on the setup - we shall see what I get. I won't be installing my setup till after the air fuel gets installed so thats why its going to be a few months wait. If it was the summer time ide already have all this done.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by KraXxuS
was just reading up on it....would i need the air/fuel ratio gauge itself to monitor it, or i saw there are just 'standalone' wideband controllers w/oxygen sensor...would that do the job of making sure the ratio was kept within the tc's specs?
thats what they are saying - the air/fuel is a wideband gauge. The wideband will cost you prob $100-250 more then the narrowband gauge but will give you the real #'s digitally and not just a round about air/fuel reading (via a color readout).
Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just make sure the dealership calls TRD and gets the proper specs on how to install it. I'm on my second one, and they were walked through it with Bob at TRD and it actually runs much quieter and nicer than the first one, so maybe it is better. Who knows. After tomorrow I may not even have the car anymore.

What dealership is installing it in Pittsburgh?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was Davis Toyota/Scion on McKnight Road...They moved up the street to North Hills Toyota Scion...so yea, them. You're on your second what? Intake? or supercharger. Are you in pittsburgh area also?

so i should just suck it up and get the gauge itself, it'll be cool to monitor that myself anyway. I saw that other post about the AEM 6-1 Wideband...sounds perfect for what i need it for
Old 11-24-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Second Supercharger. I live in Edgewood and had it installed at Bob Massie Toyota both times.

Get the wideband. Won't hurt.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I know where that is! We'll race when I get all my shiz. =P Just wrecked my tC... in the shop right now waiting for Kaminari front bumper, k2 motor halo projector headlights and a carbon fiber hood...decided to go with those instead of replacing the stuff with OEM parts. then comes my loan to pay off credit cards and hopefully get the charger/intake/wideband if all goes as planned...then again i never planned on wrecking my car =\

Live out in Robinson Township myself...Thanks for all yer help, appreciate it
Old 11-24-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By making the car lean out too much, are you referring to the air/fuel being too lean? as apposed to rich? Possibly shorten engine life, even tho fuel economy increases?

Do they make any type of air/fuel ratio controller to....literally control the ratio instead of just monitoring it as is?
Old 11-25-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you race me, you will be racing a WRX. I got a great deal on one yesterday at a black friday sale, so the tC is now on their lot in Doylestown waiting to be sold again.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
If you race me, you will be racing a WRX. I got a great deal on one yesterday at a black friday sale, so the tC is now on their lot in Doylestown waiting to be sold again.

no kidding - you didnt wait long. good luck - im sure you will have a blast w/ that car. I dont like the style but fun wise ....its gonna be crazy
Old 11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by KraXxuS
By making the car lean out too much, are you referring to the air/fuel being too lean? as apposed to rich? Possibly shorten engine life, even tho fuel economy increases?

Do they make any type of air/fuel ratio controller to....literally control the ratio instead of just monitoring it as is?
Without fuel management, you can lean out and blow the motor (Rods, pistons, etc). If you have fuel management, you can properly tune the engine with the CAI... and fix that messed up TRD ECU remap.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no kidding - you didnt wait long. good luck - im sure you will have a blast w/ that car. I dont like the style but fun wise ....its gonna be crazy
I have had two check engine lights, a bad supercharger and many issues with the roof rattling all to hell. So I figure it is time to trade up before the car looses any more trade-in value.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
I have had two check engine lights, a bad supercharger and many issues with the roof rattling all to hell. So I figure it is time to trade up before the car looses any more trade-in value.
I do agree
Old 11-25-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD Will probably void your warranty if you go in with an intake, just a warning because I was lucky enough to make it out with my warranty. They replaced my second S/C but said if I came back with as much as an intake they would void the warranty.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well they looked at the catch can closely, but Bob said that there is no way the catch can caused the bearing to go bad, so they said it was fine to have a catch can.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about using the TRD drop in air filter in the air box instead of a CAI? Anybody try that? Any advantages over the stock filter?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want the TRD Supercharger with CAI, you better go with HKS intake... you would get the CAI benefits with the TRD Supercharger... and you dont have to modify or cut anything

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger/Intake combo...inquiry