Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Supercharger Thermostat

hi quick question. would it affect the Supercharger if the Stock thermostat was used ?
and in what way if you guys have experienced any problems.
thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It wont immediatly affect anything. but in the long run it will add wear and tear becuase the car will run warmer.
the thermostat tells the fans when to turn on. the trd thermostat just turns them on 20 degrees colder to increase cooling. I want to say its a 140degree thermostat. Or is it 120??

I reccomend using it tho, heck even for a stock car it would be better.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uhmn ok ok
thanks NICK.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The temperature will be lowered like he said but that is inaccurate about the fans, I am not exactly sure on the tc but cars with electric fans have one of the two setups I am going to list. The 1st one the ecu controls the ground on the relay for the fan and when needed it will ground the relay to turn the fan on. The 2nd uses a sensor in the coolant and once the coolant reaches a certain temp depending on the sensor the contact inside is closed grounding the fan relay turning the fan on..
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thermostat still is the sensor used to decide when the fans need to go on... the TRD one is a lower temp one, and should definitely be used. I am just curious, why do you ask this? Just looking for a quick way to replace a broken one or something? I would think the prices would be about the same.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Buck
The thermostat still is the sensor used to decide when the fans need to go on... the TRD one is a lower temp one, and should definitely be used. I am just curious, why do you ask this? Just looking for a quick way to replace a broken one or something? I would think the prices would be about the same.
The thermostat is not a sensor in anyway. It is basically a temperature valve that opens at the set temp.

Check this link
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...vpqbkq2&tt=322
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look, we aren't going to get into the fact that, by it responding to a "change" in the system, that it is a sensor in every way. It is still reccomended to use it for your SC car, and it will still make it run cooler. Thanks for that link.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Buck
Look, we aren't going to get into the fact that, by it responding to a "change" in the system, that it is a sensor in every way. It is still reccomended to use it for your SC car, and it will still make it run cooler. Thanks for that link.
A sensor is a device which measures a physical quantity and converts it into a signal which can be read by an observer or by an instrument. In most cases this is done with the ECU or Gauges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thermostat included with the TRD supercharger is a 160 degree and the OEM is 180 degree.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
The thermostat included with the TRD supercharger is a 160 degree and the OEM is 180 degree.
wouldn't using the TRD thermostat be a nice add on to any turbo kit?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
Sure would, I acutally bought one a while back and have never installed it. I have a great reason to now.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Scott8
Sure would, I acutally bought one a while back and have never installed it. I have a great reason to now.
How much it run? did you just go to the dealer and get it???
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't remember I got it from trdsparks.com and I think it may have been 50. It was redicoulous whatever it was because I couldn't believe it. There might be a 160 thermostat out by stant now you might want to check would be cheaper.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i asked cause i just wanted to know. i bought a used TRD supercharger kit. and that has been missing so i want to know i could install it and buy on later on without problems .
or buy it and install at once.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL
i asked cause i just wanted to know. i bought a used TRD supercharger kit. and that has been missing so i want to know i could install it and buy on later on without problems .
or buy it and install at once.
I would do it all in one shot
Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The temperature will be lowered like he said but that is inaccurate about the fans, I am not exactly sure on the tc but cars with electric fans have one of the two setups I am going to list. The 1st one the ecu controls the ground on the relay for the fan and when needed it will ground the relay to turn the fan on. The 2nd uses a sensor in the coolant and once the coolant reaches a certain temp depending on the sensor the contact inside is closed grounding the fan relay turning the fan on..
Of course the thermostat doesnt DIRECTLY turn the fans on. But where do you think the ECU gets the temperature reading from????

The thermostat monitors the temperatures. When the temp goes above whatever the thermostat is, it sends a signal to the ECU or the fans, depending on what style setup our cars have. Once the temperature exceeds the thermostat the fans kick on.

So in all ways about it, the thermostat controls the fans.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Of course the thermostat doesnt DIRECTLY turn the fans on. But where do you think the ECU gets the temperature reading from????

The thermostat monitors the temperatures. When the temp goes above whatever the thermostat is, it sends a signal to the ECU or the fans, depending on what style setup our cars have. Once the temperature exceeds the thermostat the fans kick on.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h32.pdf
Please read it will do you some good!

Please tell me you don't do your own maintenance!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey kids quit fighting. We are here to help each oher in the forum.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I deffinetly did learn something there. thank you.

To your second statement. Come on now, because knowing exactly how a temperature sensor works has ANYTHING to do with knowing how to do maintenance on your vehicle. Get real for a second.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I deffinetly did learn something there. thank you.

To your second statement. Come on now, because knowing exactly how a temperature sensor works has ANYTHING to do with knowing how to do maintenance on your vehicle. Get real for a second.
I was trying to show you the diffrence but its hard to online because working with limited things online. A thermostat holds coolant in the engine until the temprature that the thermostat is rated for is reached and then opens (182 or 183 to be exact on the oem) allowing the coolant to pass through the radiator to cool. I am just stating that you should have at least basic understanding of how the diffrent systems on a vehicle works before trying to repair things that you don't understand.

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger Thermostat