Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Truth about S/C vs T/C..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
Lag
This is perhaps the biggest advantage that the supercharger enjoys over the tubo. Because a turbocharger is driven by exhaust gasses, the turbocharger's turbine must first spool up before it even begins to turn the compressor's impeller. This results in lag time which is the time needed for the turbine to reach its full throttle from an intermediate rotational speed state. During this lag time, the turbocharger is creating little to no boost, which means little to no power gains during this time. RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.
Well, little correction here needed.
Both t/c and s/c are dependent on RPMs, t/c cause at higher rpms there are more exhaust gases hence more power to the turbine, s/c cause it is being moved by the crankshaft which is rotating faster at higher rpms i.e. more power to the fan...
Good turbo applications (small turbos, bi-turbos, sequential turbos) suffer very little from lag since they efficiently operate even at 1.5-2k rpms... Also, the entire SCCA rally world runs on turbos and when you are in the 90% turn sliding there is no way you could afford any lag when you need all the power to the wheels you can get...

Turbo is both science and art, like any advanced tuning of the engine, therefore only few automakers in the world attempt turbos on a passenger car, only few SAAB, AUDI, VOLVO, MITSU are really succesfull...
Keep that in mind...
Old 01-16-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
topic cleaned up.....
Thank you
Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Stefan TC
topic cleaned up.....
Thank you
no prob...
Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Lets not forget the most important fact. The SC won't void the warranty (well an SC from TRD). A TC will unless TRD decides to release one (cough, not a chance, cough)
Old 01-22-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
Lets not forget the most important fact. The SC won't void the warranty (well an SC from TRD). A TC will unless TRD decides to release one (cough, not a chance, cough)

And that's what exactly sells me on s/c vs t/c.
I do not want to get an aftermarket unit that will blow my engine and leave me with $$$$ for engine overhaul or replacement. If TRD came out with a t/c. Why not?
Otherwise, forget it. We all know how costly engine repairs are...
Old 01-22-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default sc vs. tc

I thought sc's were better for low rpm horsepower gain (really good for off the line acceleration) and tc's were good for high rpm horsepower gain (really good at higher speeds. When did the rules change?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: sc vs. tc

Originally Posted by StAthAttAN kID05
I thought sc's were better for low rpm horsepower gain (really good for off the line acceleration) and tc's were good for high rpm horsepower gain (really good at higher speeds. When did the rules change?
Those were never the rules. Performance of both systems is dependent on design.
From the racing perspective (SCCA rally) TURBO is the king. (heard of SUPRA?)
low pressure S/C seems to be a charging systems of choice for car makers, possibly because of it's simpler design. SC is actually half of the turbo, fan with no turbine.
Because USUALLY low-pressure by design s/c setups USUALLY lack costly intercoolers etc etc.... They are cheaper and less complex so naturally more attractive for car makers trying to make a quick buck....
Old 01-31-2005, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my head hurts... But i think i learned something.... ?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="Stefan TC
SC is actually half of the turbo, fan with no turbine.
Because USUALLY low-pressure by design s/c setups USUALLY lack costly intercoolers etc etc.... They are cheaper and less complex so naturally more attractive for car makers trying to make a quick buck....[/quote]

a little expansion... there are different types of superchargers. the one that you described above is a centrifugal style and indeed uses a compressor half much like a turbos.
but there are other style superchargers. the Roots style and Vane style...
the roots style is what TRD uses. you can not see any resemblance to a turbo with that set up...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=dgHotLava]
Originally Posted by "Stefan TC
SC is actually half of the turbo, fan with no turbine.
Because USUALLY low-pressure by design s/c setups USUALLY lack costly intercoolers etc etc.... They are cheaper and less complex so naturally more attractive for car makers trying to make a quick buck....[/quote

a little expansion... there are different types of superchargers. the one that you described above is a centrifugal style and indeed uses a compressor half much like a turbos.
but there are other style superchargers. the Roots style and Vane style...
the roots style is what TRD uses. you can not see any resemblance to a turbo with that set up...
Functionaly, you are still talking about a compressor compressing intake air. The difference between s/c and t/c is the source of energy to compress intake air. With a S/c this energy comes from the engine's output which makes it "half the turbo" - no turbine. Also, for a variety of reason you do not see that many s/c cars on the rally circuit (where HP and torque REALLY counts), only t/c...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

but i've never seen a turbo'ed top fuel (funny) car either....
turbos can't make that kind of power...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but i've never seen a turbo'ed top fuel (funny) car either....
turbos can't make that kind of power...
Honestly I do not care much for this "sport" and do not consider these contraptions cars... The engine made specifically for 15 seconds runs after which it needs an overhaul... Where is the fun? What does it have to do with driving skills?
The fun is making a 90 degress turn on a gravel doing 100mph, this is the adrenaline rush I am talking about...... SCCA, rally racing, this is where you can see turbocharged four-cylinder cars pulling 700HP... And no s/c there....
Old 02-05-2005, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Question

-Do we know yet what type of S/C it will be, Positive Displacement or Centrifugal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't TRD gone w/ Positive Displacement S/C in the past?

Quick Facts

-S/C
Advantages: Instant power, no lag because it is directly attached to your crankshaft.
Disadvantages: Parasitic power loss to system (less peak power) - again because it is using power to make power (attached to your crankshaft
Applications: Recommended for low RPM, high torque applications (V8s).

-T/C
Advantages: Greater peak power (at a noticable RPM, no one drives at 8,000 RPMs)
Disadvantages: Lag in power delivery (uses wasted energy, or heat off of your exhaust rather than being attached to you crank therefore heat has to build before you will feel noticable power), long-term durability & cold-start emissions.
Applications: Recommended for high RPM applications (i.e. I4s)

Generally speaking, the problem we are seeing here is the thata the tC does not fall into the usual 4 banger, 2dr sports coupe catagory. Civics, GTI's etc usually offer a lower displacement engine (1.6L,1.8L) etc. where as our tC is at a nice 2.4L. Because of this we have more low end torgue, a civic no torque to speak of but some nice high end HP. Hence the lower (1.6L,1.8L) being 'peaky'. The tC has some nicer low end torgue thanks to the 2.4L - this along w/ engine durability is why TRD has probably chosen to go the T/C route. Lets hope the TRD engineers can push more air and give some better HP results for our money.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SdClassicBlack
Question

-Do we know yet what type of S/C it will be, Positive Displacement or Centrifugal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't TRD gone w/ Positive Displacement S/C in the past?

Quick Facts

-S/C
Advantages: Instant power, no lag because it is directly attached to your crankshaft.
Disadvantages: Parasitic power loss to system (less peak power) - again because it is using power to make power (attached to your crankshaft
Applications: Recommended for low RPM, high torque applications (V8s).

-T/C
Advantages: Greater peak power (at a noticable RPM, no one drives at 8,000 RPMs)
Disadvantages: Lag in power delivery (uses wasted energy, or heat off of your exhaust rather than being attached to you crank therefore heat has to build before you will feel noticable power), long-term durability & cold-start emissions.
Applications: Recommended for high RPM applications (i.e. I4s)
Little correction:
1) t/c lives of exhaust gas pressure, not heat. Exhaust gasses could be extremely cold and turbo would still functon.....
2) Contemporary turbo designes have very little or no lag as turbos produce boost at as little 1500 rpms...almost at engine idle, so continuosly....

Originally Posted by SdClassicBlack
Generally speaking, the problem we are seeing here is the thata the tC does not fall into the usual 4 banger, 2dr sports coupe catagory. Civics, GTI's etc usually offer a lower displacement engine (1.6L,1.8L) etc. where as our tC is at a nice 2.4L. Because of this we have more low end torgue, a civic no torque to speak of but some nice high end HP. Hence the lower (1.6L,1.8L) being 'peaky'. The tC has some nicer low end torgue thanks to the 2.4L - this along w/ engine durability is why TRD has probably chosen to go the T/C route. Lets hope the TRD engineers can push more air and give some better HP results for our money.

Just my 2 cents!
[
Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

T/C's that boost at low RPM have shorter lifespans
T/C's are good for rally and similar about it.
S/C's are great for street and road course racing.
S/C's are great for daily drivers
S/C's are more efficient and easier on the wallet.

Hmm I think an S/C is a better option for a tC.

Turbos will be seen because no one is educated on the S/C enough. Turbos are "cool"... well, the BOV is "cool"

We've raced turbo'd cars, had turbo'd cars and found the Superchargers prevailed. S/C beat a T/C in some of our events and "tests".

And again ... a supercharger will last LOOOONGER than a Turbo system.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jotech moved the rev limiter back to 9000 rpm's for there turbo... on the stock set up a s/c will have extended life
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

T/C's that boost at low RPM have shorter lifespans
T/C's are good for rally and similar about it.
S/C's are great for street and road course racing.
S/C's are great for daily drivers
S/C's are more efficient and easier on the wallet.
Urban legens again;
My turbo on SAAB 9000 AERO (made by Mitsu) lasted over 200K miles. I ma not aware of any longevity problems of tubos. Chekc with Garrett and Mitsu (largest turbo makers in the world) maybe they heard about it?
TURBO beat Supechargers becaause they are MORE efficient. SUpechargers canibalize the engine's output. TURBO is THE most efficient way of increasing engine's output. Both in automobiles, trucks, marine and aviation.
Originaly this technology was designed for aviation where angine's weight was a critical factor.........

Hmm I think an S/C is a better option for a tC.

Turbos will be seen because no one is educated on the S/C enough. Turbos are "cool"... well, the BOV is "cool"

We've raced turbo'd cars, had turbo'd cars and found the Superchargers prevailed. S/C beat a T/C in some of our events and "tests".

And again ... a supercharger will last LOOOONGER than a Turbo system.

And what exactly did you race? Audi S4 (turbo), BMW Alpina (turbo) Mitsu EVO (turbo)???
There are NO sport cars equipped with superchargers... AMG S55 would not stand a chance in a rally. So wouldn't any Bentley....
The whole SCCA scene in the US and Europe has been dominated by turbocharged cars for years... What street racing? Can you supercharged car beat race-ready Mitsu EVO? How about those Mitsus that are being used in SCCA and have over 700HP of output? What are you talking about??????
Old 02-06-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again you have input your own brand of info.
I said, turbo's are great for rally.
We've taken vehicles that had no turbo ... added Turbo and put them against their own brand with a S/C S/C prevailed.
We're talking about ADDING a turbo or sc.
It's best to Ignore all your factory installed turbo'd mentions. They are MOOT in this discussion.

Add a turbo or sc to a tc
The S/C is a better option for an informed consumer.

Your comment regarding a Bentley in a Rally is beyond humorous. Thanks for that laugh.

And remember, the tC is not a sports car
Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again you have input your own brand of info.
I said, turbo's are great for rally.
And what are they not great for? What is 500HP not good for?

We've taken vehicles that had no turbo ... added Turbo and put them against their own brand with a S/C S/C prevailed.
Care to elaborate what vehicles? What did you add turbo and sc to?
I am yet to see a supercharger that gives a 2.3L engine 700HP...
I have seen turbos that do that..........

We're talking about ADDING a turbo or sc.
It's best to Ignore all your factory installed turbo'd mentions. They are MOOT in this discussion.
So say it. Say s/c is better for Tc than a turbo because it is OEM.
Do not make general statements like "turbos are better for rally and s/c for street racing" cause they are simply NOT true. Race Mitsu Evo against any of your supercharged cars.... and let me know the result....

Add a turbo or sc to a tc
The S/C is a better option for an informed consumer.
Yes it is. Mainly becasue it is OEM and Toyota knows the engine's limits better than anybody....

Your comment regarding a Bentley in a Rally is beyond humorous. Thanks for that laugh.
Well, do you know any other examples of turbocharged cars?
I laughed when I read yours about "turbos being good for rallies and superchargers for street" Talk to any S4 and Evo owner: they will laugh at you too....

Or better yet watch any SCCA rally and tell me that 500HP will not work on the street))
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

S4 hahah we killed one with a S/C through angeles crest.
Also killed it with a NA
Both MINI COOPERS
Poor audi had no chance.

500hp is useless on the street in a vehicle like a tC

Why is it such a battle for you to understand the realistic application?
Why do you continue?

A SC, twin screw or roots, is more pratical for cars such as the Scion .

Truth be had... best performance mod you could ever do to a vehicle such as the tC is suspension work.

It's got adequate power for it's class
It just needs suspension tuning.
More than 300hp on a tC is silly.
Anything over would be fine for 1/4 mile sprints.

And get off the Mitsu, that's invalid in this discussion.

Quick Reply: Truth about S/C vs T/C..