Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Tuning F/IC - Crank / Start Cylcle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tuning F/IC - Crank / Start Cylcle?

This is just a annoyance of mine... since i went turbo my crank times are like 3-4 seconds and then fires / idles very nicely. Is there something wrong on my map during crank? Too much / too little fuel?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

so idle is fine and drives fine righ? it just takes longer to actually turn over? is fuel system still stock? (ex...injectors, fuel pump) If so try turning the key to the on position for about 3-5 secs then start the car. That pretty much lets the car prime for bit allowing the fuel pump to send more fuel to the motor.

My friend had that same issue when he upgraded to the walbro 255 and this is what he does and it starts up right after.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock fuel pump, 550cc injectors - Ill try letting it prime, never thought of that.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

usually a lean mixture while cranking causes extended cranking, try adding some fuel on the low rpm/load area, but ignition plays a part on that too.. but check your plugs if theyre fouled.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tried adding fuel but it ended up screwing up my idle ;/

Plugs are about a year old, prob time to get some new ones...
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

try adding fuel below 600 rpm, or check if you are not pulling timing on those area... did it just start doing that or it has been like that since you installed your kit.. fic doesnt have much control on startup so pretty much its more on just playing with your basemap unless its a hardware issue
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have this issue too with F/IC.

New plugs, Walbro 255, 630cc Motron, idles fine and drives fine.. but the crank takes forever. Kind of embarassing too.

I should also add that when I plug in the Unichip it doesn't do this.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

My car takes long to start sometimes too. To my understanding, it takes the range of fuel trim boxes from KOEO to idle and averages them out, then uses that average fuel trim to start the car. I haven't found the right trim, but I'm ranging from -64% to -48% throughout the idle/KOEO position (550cc INJ). I have noticed that it seems to take the longest to start just after filling up the car.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't notice a change regarding fill-ups. I don't notice a change with regards to temperature either. There's been a big change in temp down here.. from 70's to 50's in the morning and not a difference. Each time takes long. Very embarrassing.

I wonder if anyone's messed with the injector response time? What's everyone else's set to?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
My car takes long to start sometimes too. To my understanding, it takes the range of fuel trim boxes from KOEO to idle and averages them out, then uses that average fuel trim to start the car. I haven't found the right trim, but I'm ranging from -64% to -48% throughout the idle/KOEO position (550cc INJ). I have noticed that it seems to take the longest to start just after filling up the car.
koeo?

key on engine on?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I don't notice a change regarding fill-ups. I don't notice a change with regards to temperature either. There's been a big change in temp down here.. from 70's to 50's in the morning and not a difference. Each time takes long. Very embarrassing.

I wonder if anyone's messed with the injector response time? What's everyone else's set to?
When I had the hydra set to open loop at idle. There was definitely a chance in afrs in regards to when the fuel tank was full and empty.

I believe due to our returnless fuel system, and the pressure in the system when the tank is low, blah blah blah.

Cranking is annoying right now, due to the start up fuel/spark I have right now.

I have played around with the injector response time. Its seems to deal with the voltage changes better now. Than with the stock hydra injector latency that was on mine originally.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines hit or miss, probobly once a day out of 10 starts do i get a long crank time (5+ seconds) I have tried adding fuel and taking fuel, cant pick it out since its not consistant.

My idle fuel trims are 0 and i also have my entire column under 400 rpms set at 0.... Just hit me that my o2 map might be putting too much fuel at 0 psi <400rpms ... since thats where it sits under crank... hmmm
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by enjoithis
Mines hit or miss, probobly once a day out of 10 starts do i get a long crank time (5+ seconds) I have tried adding fuel and taking fuel, cant pick it out since its not consistant.

My idle fuel trims are 0 and i also have my entire column under 400 rpms set at 0.... Just hit me that my o2 map might be putting too much fuel at 0 psi <400rpms ... since thats where it sits under crank... hmmm
My Timing map is 0 for 0-14.7PSIA and -35 in my fuel map at idle speeds with MAF at 2.1v

I have 630cc injectors with Walbro 255 intank
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I have noticed that it seems to take the longest to start just after filling up the car.
That is EVAP/Purge related, which is not controlled by the FIC.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder

When I had the hydra set to open loop at idle. There was definitely a chance in afrs in regards to when the fuel tank was full and empty.

I believe due to our returnless fuel system, and the pressure in the system when the tank is low, blah blah blah.

Cranking is annoying right now, due to the start up fuel/spark I have right now.

I have played around with the injector response time. Its seems to deal with the voltage changes better now. Than with the stock hydra injector latency that was on mine originally.
Play with initial crank advance, VVT-i, your ignition maps. These will all effect how the standalone cranks. Plus with the piggybacked cam and crank signals like Hydra, it takes a while for the cam and crank signals to sync up and then the Hydra to see them sync up.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
koeo?

key on engine on?
KOEO = Key On Engine Off. KOER = Key On Engine Running.

Sorry, might be a Ford thing...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Play with initial crank advance, VVT-i, your ignition maps. These will all effect how the standalone cranks. Plus with the piggybacked cam and crank signals like Hydra, it takes a while for the cam and crank signals to sync up and then the Hydra to see them sync up.
How about some F/IC advice, Paul?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
How about some F/IC advice, Paul?
No real advice other than playing with the main fuel maps, watch you clamping of the MAF below 1 BAR, injector response time and that is about it.