Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default turbo kit

hey everyone im new to the site. i just want to know if a turbo kit on a tc will be good for a daily driven car. i want to put a turbo kit but i drive my car a lot. so i need some input from you turbo guys. thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome to ScionLife where some are nice and others are jerks. it's ok to have but it wastes too much gas, and there is always gonna be a problem with it so basically do you want to put up with oil leaks every now and then and messed up turbo's and tuning over and over? if so you can safely run on 5-6psi so it won't be pushed too much around.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 AM
SL Member

If installed & tuned properly, you should have no issues at all out of a turbo kit. Periodically you need to check for boost leaks at the IC couplers (a boost leak tester is a necessity for anyone with a boosted car), but other than that it should be fine.
It'll burn more gas, but really only if you get on it. If you drive it normally you shouldn't see much to any difference in mileage.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my '07 (n/a) gets 300-320 to a tank.
my '05 (greddy turbo) gets 230-250 when gunnin it and 290 or so when im not gunnin it...
so there is not a humungus difference in the milage...

other than that, there should be no problem with the turbo if installed properly...
(if u are on the east coast... the def. place to do it is Ptuning. check out their website ptuning.com)

all u gotta do is regularly check in ur engine bay like huafist said...

if u r not runnin a crazy turbo setup like a GT35R or sum, the turbo kit is 100% reliable. the greddy kit is a great way to start.
if u tune it right its fast enough to take an M3 (trust me i did... no bs) with 8.5psi.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so there wouldnt be any problems with the engine if i was just boostin 5lbs? and what kit would be the most reliable? what size turbo as well would be good?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problems with boostin 5psi. but i recommend boostin around 8psi... cuz 5 psi is not enough power...

go to ptuning.com and look for tC forced induction, info on the greddy kit is available there... the greddy kit is most reliable- i believe it comes with a 18G turbo
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 AM

mind if i share this post with ya?
i don't want to post another b/c we got something in common
please help with these questions in perspective of boosting greddy kit from ptunning with 8psi like most people would suggest for daily driving tc.

1. anyone here with greddy kit from ptuning.com ??
2. how's the drivability as far as instant boost or boost lag
3. how's downshift from 5th gear while cruising (65mph) to, say, 3rd for chasing or fleeing as far as question 2 is concern. don't deny, we do this all the time upon arrival of the "rival"
4. i'm in mile high city of colorado, diff. altitude...can anyone show me where/who to get my car tuned
5. has anyone in colorado boosted and then drive down to sea level...denser air at sea level does give more hp but does that mean it will be running leaner?
6. as far as question 5 is concerned, do we need a re-tune if we moved to sea level area?

feel free to correct me with anything
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I daily drive my Turbo Toyotas kit...I get about 20-22 MPG, and I'm not even properly tuned yet. Also, I've had my kit on for about 9 months with no major issues.

It's worth it if done right...it's all about the tune.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcassault07
please help with these questions in perspective of boosting greddy kit from ptunning with 8psi like most people would suggest for daily driving tc.

3. how's downshift from 5th gear while cruising (65mph) to, say, 3rd for chasing or fleeing as far as question 2 is concern. don't deny, we do this all the time upon arrival of the "rival"
4. i'm in mile high city of colorado, diff. altitude...can anyone show me where/who to get my car tuned
5. has anyone in colorado boosted and then drive down to sea level...denser air at sea level does give more hp but does that mean it will be running leaner?
6. as far as question 5 is concerned, do we need a re-tune if we moved to sea level area?
1) I have a greddy kit... got it put on and tuned from ptuning.
2) Drivability is excellent... virtually no boost lag.
3) peak tq is at 3300 rpm, and peak hp at 5800 rpm. so if u downshift... its a GO GETTA!!! again from a 40mph roll... u'll be quick enough to walk an M3. i kept up with a 500hp SRT 8 Charger... and walked an M3
4) dont know anyone in Colorado... sorry. but if u r willin to take the drive, i highly recommend drivin to ptuning. call them first to mke an appt.
5) im not sure... if u need to retune it...
Old 03-23-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...hit up garabaldy on these boards.
He's up in Colorado and had someone get him a good tune. Don't remember who it was, though.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
no problems with boostin 5psi. but i recommend boostin around 8psi... cuz 5 psi is not enough power...

go to ptuning.com and look for tC forced induction, info on the greddy kit is available there... the greddy kit is most reliable- i believe it comes with a 18G turbo
false false false

the greddy kit IS NOT THE MOST RELIABLE, with the internal wastegate many peoples gate have failed and i can tell you have not been here long as this happened some time ago. ptuning is a very reputable shop and they do good business with scions.

i recommend going with a dezod s1 kit. little more expensive than the greddy but it comes with EVERYTHING and the dezod kit is proven. there are very few engines blown on the dezod kit when compared to a greddy kit.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcassault07

1. see post above
2. the 18g is very fast spooling but see post above
3. don't street race
4. you need to get an AEM fi/c rather than the greddy emanage as the AEM tunes with absolute pressure not gauge pressure so your altitude does not matter.
5. see #4.
6. see #4.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

talk to me im in co i live in arvada the place that grabaldy and one of my friends jhonny goes is tc performance i have a friend with a gredy kit up here 8 pounds 3inch exhaust did 280 to the wheels here in about 2 months when i go boosted i will be going to tc for he is the man lets face it his every day driven car is a 400whp honda element and for the turbo kit how much you looking to spend i would go with turbo toyotas
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt recommend the greddy kit, they have popped a few engines due to the internal gate sticking, turbo toyotas and turbonetics both make a good kit. I just installed a turbonetics kit on my buddies car last weekend and it went smooth and the car makes good power. Its also a very complete kit.