Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo problems** please help...!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default turbo problems** please help...!

this question is not actually about a scion but it's so i can help out a buddy. my freind just baught an srt-4 from a dodge dealership and it's been acting weird. it was running good the first day he got it but then it started acting up. the dealership had just put a brand new engine into it, right before he bought it.
well this the problem we've been having. when he punches it it will blow off prematurely and then spool back up before he shifts. and it feels like there's not very much power. his boost gauge is reading fine numbers. when he's cruising it's fine, but it's when he gets on the throttle that it starts sputtering. i was thinking he might have a boost leak, but then again i have no turbo expperience. any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The problem is you let your friend buy a NEON. lol

J/k. It sounds like the AFR isn't set correctly and the engine is running too rich. You might also want to check the BOV to see if the spring in it is still good and working properly. Checking for leaks in the whole system wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
The problem is you let your friend buy a NEON. lol
J/k

SADISTIC_TC Tell your freind to check his plugs... See if they are fouled or if they are not gapped properly... It could be a boost leak, SRT4's are notorious for them (so he needs to buy a boost leak checker $30).. As for the blowing off prematurely.. Is it a full BOV sound/release or just a leaking sound?.. It could be his vac lines are hooked to the factory seloniods wrong and casue the BOV to go off early.. or it could be the BOV leaking boost so as not to surge the turbo.. If he isnt on the SRTforums yet, now maybe a good time for him to join and do some research on the problems he is having.. Lots of people on there have the same problems daily, with different reasons the car is doing what it is doing.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

proshopxb, thanks for the advice. the premature blow off i was talking about is a full blow off. it actually feels like i was shifting. it will blow off and then spool back up. when it blows off it looses power then comes right back. we already took it back to the dealer and they said they would figure it out for us. i'm thinking that the dealership did'nt tighten or put everything back together properly when they installed the engine.