Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo TC pics page-3

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo TC pics page-3

Yes I know, another turbo tc. Hi everyone. I visit this forum almost every day for the past 3 moths and have learned a great deal of information. Thanks to all of you, now I will soon be sharing some experience of my own. I have been working on building a tc for a some time or should I said (my mechanic has been working on it) anyway, basically is a custom GT35-R turbo with a front mount intercooler and a Haltech computer. This combination should work very well. Hope to be driving by next week.

Rick C.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow.
what kinda boost you gonna be running?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

**** looks nice brotha.. keep us up to date
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Starting at about 10psi and will take it from there...

Rick C.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock block?

and why are you using a MAF if you are using a haltech?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock pistons and roads, the tc has a very strong motor. It seams to hold around 400whp with stock internals using the correct air/fuel ratio.
Using the MAF to keep stock computer happy.

Rick C.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, first off. Let me help you out with something. It wont last long with anything over 300-320ish. It wont blow up instantly, but you are on a very short time table.

That turbo isn't even in its effcientcy range at 10psi, its a little big unless you plan on building the engine and running MUCH more boost.

What Haltech are you using that you plan on keeping the stock ecu with the drive-by-wire setup? Since haltech doesn't support it, that im aware of.

Charles
Old 12-09-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice to have you here. keep us informed.

~ I still say my s/c is larger! ehem size matters =)
Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dam man...those GT35 R's are good up to like 38-40 psi(correct me if Im wrong). Any reason why you are going w/ such a big turbo setup?? And do you plan on throwin a 50 shot to get yourself out of the hole?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, first off. Let me help you out with something. It wont last long with anything over 300-320ish. It wont blow up instantly, but you are on a very short time table.
Its possible, went it blows I will find out the weakest link and replace it.. hehe
That turbo isn't even in its effcientcy range at 10psi, its a little big unless you plan on building the engine and running MUCH more boost.
I never said I was going to run the car at 10psi of boost, I said I was going to start at 10psi and take it frm there. Have to start low and work your way up. This is the same turbo that Jason at “scion speed” use to create 400+ rwhp on his personal scion.
What Haltech are you using that you plan on keeping the stock ecu with the drive-by-wire setup? Since haltech doesn't support it, that im aware of.
Haltech does not support drive-by-wire, Im not 100% sure on the Haltech my mechanic is using.

This car is being built by Lance at Toyomoto in Miami FL. I think he know what he is doing.

I definitely will.

Rick C.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
dam man...those GT35 R's are good up to like 38-40 psi(correct me if Im wrong). Any reason why you are going w/ such a big turbo setup?? And do you plan on throwin a 50 shot to get yourself out of the hole?
Im sure that the engine will spool the turbo, however with such a low rpm range its not going to make full boost for very long. It really all depends on what hot side he is running.

Im still curious about this Haltech deal. Are you planning on running the F5? If so, where are you putting the additional injectors? Otherwise, there is only one Haltech standalone that is compatible with DBW and there would be no reason to use the MAF of the stock ECU at that point since its a complete stand alone. If you are using the F5, not really a good way to adjust things once you build much more then 10psi, if that.

Another issue that you are going to run into if you are using the F5, is that you are trying to blow through the MAF. You're going to max it out VERY quickly and will not have the ability to pull voltage from it since the F5 Haltech works completely indipendent from the stock ecu...

So whats the deal? Give me some details. Im curious.

Charles
Old 12-09-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcruz2525
Its possible, went it blows I will find out the weakest link and replace it.. hehe
I never said I was going to run the car at 10psi of boost, I said I was going to start at 10psi and take it frm there. Have to start low and work your way up. This is the same turbo that Jason at “scion speed” use to create 400+ rwhp on his personal scion.
Haltech does not support drive-by-wire, Im not 100% sure on the Haltech my mechanic is using.

This car is being built by Lance at Toyomoto in Miami FL. I think he know what he is doing.

I definitely will.

Rick C.
Its not that its "possible", its FACT. If you would like to see the weakest link, i have plenty of pics. You are not the first person to do this and you would be wise to learn about it from others that have and save yourself some money.

We wont even get started on Scion Speed. Yes their car made 400whp, it also blew up.

Charles

P.S. Im not trying to come across harsh, some things just get lost in translation on the web.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haltech actually has two units that will support the tC and the drive by wire system. You will retain the factory ECU for the day to day living and splice out the ignition and fuel wires along with the maf. The haltech has the ability to change the MAF single to a MAP once it learns the factory parameters. This in conjuction with the stock MAF you can tune off of a true speed density program.

We had a meeting with Haltech about this last weekend and it looks like this will become a great option for the tC once there are more of us out there looking to push the envelope.

If you run into any issues with the Haltech give us a call or you may want to try David Shoemaker he is a technical advisor at Haltech we have been working with him on the tC platform.

We also agree with you that the stock block will handle those power levels especially on a correct tune. The haltech will offer you a greater range of options. You can use the stock MAF as an air intake sensor but you will max out the readings making it a blow through.

Looks good though keep us posted.

-ZPIracing
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

The only 2 I am aware of are the E8X and F10X.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the offer ZPIracing, Im glad you agree with me. We are also working with Haltech on this project and will soon have it together. It’s good to know we are on the same page here and will continue to unleash the potentials of this great engine. Haltech is a great product we just need to adapt it to the scion.

Will keep you guys posted of any potential problems, concerns and progress, I have a feeling this combination is going to work well with the scion tc.

Rick C.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should just replace the pistons right now. Since you'll be pulling a lot of stuff out anyways..
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice keep us updated.
Dyno that beast.
see what number it pulls out.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im curious to know of ANY stock block turbo tc's that have maintained anywhere close to 400 whp for any period of time. In fact, Scion Speed is the only stock block car that I know of that made over 400 wheel and it was blatantly smoking in the video on the dyno. Not to mention that they clearly said they were rebuilding the block in the modified mag article.

Other then that I don't personally know of any cars that have made anywhere near that amount of power and lasted more then say, 3K miles.

Anyone?

Charles
Old 12-11-2005, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TurbCustomz, I appreciate your concern.
The blatantly smoking in the video like you mention from Scion Speed was probably the coolant coming from the exhaust. Running high boost in the tc will actually lift up the heads from the block allowing coolant to flow in the pistons. Not a good thing but that is how we all learn. That is why Scion Speed along with other companies including my self has changed the head studs on the tc.

Bottom line, if Scion Speed, ZPI racing and other have accomplish to get 400hp or close to it with a stock block and only a piggyback ECU, imagine what the potentials will be with a complete fuel management system like the Haltech, AEM or a Motec if you can afford one..hehe

Rick C.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the stock internals of a toyota are builted to last.
most or all the internal parts are forged.

basing my info off supra owners that i've previously talked too. the 2jz engine can handle up to 500hp maybe even 600. and our engines are able to handle up to 350 hp on stock internals. i tink thats FACT!

mayb our engine might be built with the same quality. who knows but ZPI and SS have shown us that there turbo cars have pushed a lot of PSI and have took a great beating.

BTW
GT35-R turbo
thats a monster of a turbo... im expecting 15psi as teh norm... 400whp to be easy... haltech compy, nice stuff.

Quick Reply: Turbo TC pics page-3