Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo tc, smoke n oil out valve cover breather filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 AM

Default turbo tc, smoke n oil out valve cover breather filter

I have a 07 tc turbo charged, never ran more than 9lbs boost. I started my car sat. 2 run 2 the mall and I noticed a little bit of smoke creaping out the hood, not a problem the night before. When I popped my hood I found that my valve cover breather filter was saturated with oil. I then pulled all my plugs thinking the worst that I fried a piston but there was no oil on the plugs ( I was told you usually will have oil on the plug of the affected cylinder ). I then checked my oil lines for clogges, nothing. I put everything back and started the car. I was getting great oil pressure but still had some smoke coming out the filter ( nothing major just a little, and no exhaust smoke ). Next I took the ride out for a spin, without pushing it to hard I got in to it and didn't feel any power loss, another thing I was told to look for but it wasn't a problem. I'm lost I have no idea what may be the prob. other than a head gasket but I see no oil seaping out the block. Does any one have a guess or an answer for me
Old 08-25-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ur getting blowby
Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and its most lilkely ur piston rings
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All cars have blow by. That is why the valve cover breather is routed back into the intake stock so that the exhaust gasses go back into the engine and through the CAT/exhaust before leaving the car. This is normal to have a little smoke come out of the valve cover breather. Also some oil vapor leaves through the valve cover breather and that is why it is saturated with oil. If you leave just a filter on there eventually your engine bay will be covered with oil and grease. This is why everyone runs a catch can to catch that oil vapor.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oil catch tank
Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeh a little smoke nd oil is normal but he stated thet he noticed it coming out of the hood,...and for u to notice that then theres quite a bit of smoke....ive never noticed any smoke on mine nd my filter has little oil....but some motors are more loose then others so it either could be normal or u need piston rings......do a compression test and take it from there
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

before you do just a catch can i would recommend some things...coming from someone who blew the motor caused by blow by BTW that oil that recirculates into the motor causes carbon deposits but more importantly detination

run a air compressor air water seperator between the valvecover and intake manifold,(available at harbor freight) and get a catchcan and open it up and fill it with metal sqeegee pads used for cleaning dishes, this will filter the oil out of the air

this should be done to all turbo Tc IMO cheap insurace, BTW when getting a catchcan, just get a cheap one on ebay, they look good and do the job, dont spend 100+ dollars for a greddy or something cause it may be the same thing ( i bought mine from ZPI for 70 and i found it on ebay for under 20 shipped, i wasen't to happy)
so save yourself the cash

air oil seperator $10
ebay catchcan $20
metal sqeegees $5-8
fittings and hoses $20-200 depending on how nice you go

ill post some pics of my setup in a few weeks, when my motor is completed, welded -10 AN fittings on valve cover and intake, and a hidden catchcan
Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any baffled catch can will work.

Not all baffled catch cans are expensive..
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Any baffled catch can will work.

Not all baffled catch cans are expensive..
+1
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just sold my k2motor one off of ebay for 22
Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Try to do some compression and leak down test too, it wouldnt hurt.. and no Cels?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 AM

yeah its way too much oil and smoke to be blow by, I am hoping its a head gasket or a valve not seating right. Stopping by my shop 2morrow (absolute pro performance) see whats up. Hope not rings, ain't got money to rebuild right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
All cars have blow by. That is why the valve cover breather is routed back into the intake stock so that the exhaust gasses go back into the engine and through the CAT/exhaust before leaving the car. This is normal to have a little smoke come out of the valve cover breather. Also some oil vapor leaves through the valve cover breather and that is why it is saturated with oil. If you leave just a filter on there eventually your engine bay will be covered with oil and grease. This is why everyone runs a catch can to catch that oil vapor.
Cars should have no blow by. Crank-case ventilation should be created by vacume only. The purpose of the pvc hose routing it to flow air through the valvetrain assembly for cooling/ ventilation. If Toyotas were meant to have blow-by im sure Toyota engineers would have put factory oil-catch cans in place. If you have oil residue in the intake , throttle body, or manifold then the motor is not in perfect condition. Oil catch cans are a band-aide. If you noticed the design of the factory valvecover it has specific baffles to prevent oil from traveling through the hoses. If it makes it past that, there is blow-by. Boosting a car increases the chance for blow-by because of the increased cylinder pressures and on a motor that isn't in good condition it becomes more appartent. That's when an oil catch can comes into play. No exhaust gases should be coming through the breather hoses! Only thing traveling through the hoses should be the SMELL of oil, ever so slight burn-off.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 AM

Had motor tested BLOWN RING compression #s were cylinder 1-175 2-112 3-182 4-190. Leak down test #2 was at 70% blow by. Can you say forged internals. Just picked up new block, got it 4 a steal on ebay now just gotta work mad overtime to get my parts together. Gonna do it right forged pistons, rods, gaskets, and while its out might as well put new injectors and maybe turbotoyotas 3" down pipe and equal lenght manifold. 300 dail;y driven horsepower is the goal with maybe high 3's on boost cooler. Thanks for the ideas, gotta look at this as a good sign, good reason 2 finally build a monster motor. Might take a couple of months but pics of the build will come..........................
Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 AM

before you go out and get a set of forged internals.... Try to find out why it happend. Blown ring lands are caused by runing to much boost and not enough fuel (running lean)

I just had one at the shop here with the same problem. After checking codes and seeing the dates, it looked to me that the ECU saw a rich condition at open loop (WOT) and corrected... it may have corrected to much and ran the car lean at the wrong time. The car also might have been over boosted. The day this happend the air temps did creap into the upper 90's.

I have had stock block TC's in the 275hp range on the road for 2 years now with relitivly no issues... So you need to track down WHY it happend... as I have had Supras that have forged internals blow rignlands as well.

Just looking out for ya!!

Tim
Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 PM

I ran lean 4 a while, fuel pump couldn't keep up with injectors. A 255lph pump seemed 2 fix the problem a/f meter at least showed correction. Along with the build fuel upgrade will most likley be needed. I performed the first build with limited exp. Only prob occured was the lean a/f. I was fooled by the "COMPLETE KIT" b-s. Kit claimed no piggyback or ems needed. Ran car 4 6 months with out piggyback then had apxi neo installed with street tune. Damage was probly done in those months before tune. This time its gonna be a shop build and tune @ absolute pro performance in finksburg md.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
Cars should have no blow by. Crank-case ventilation should be created by vacume only. The purpose of the pvc hose routing it to flow air through the valvetrain assembly for cooling/ ventilation. If Toyotas were meant to have blow-by im sure Toyota engineers would have put factory oil-catch cans in place. If you have oil residue in the intake , throttle body, or manifold then the motor is not in perfect condition. Oil catch cans are a band-aide. If you noticed the design of the factory valvecover it has specific baffles to prevent oil from traveling through the hoses. If it makes it past that, there is blow-by. Boosting a car increases the chance for blow-by because of the increased cylinder pressures and on a motor that isn't in good condition it becomes more appartent. That's when an oil catch can comes into play. No exhaust gases should be coming through the breather hoses! Only thing traveling through the hoses should be the SMELL of oil, ever so slight burn-off.
the tc has some awesome ringlands and shouldn't have blowby.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not so sure about that.. the ringlands will be the first to go on our cars... They're too close to the top of the piston (because it was designed for NA).

Do a compression test and then a leakdown if you find you're losing compression.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

he's about to blow his motor....stop now while you're ahead and fix your problem
Old 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so how about smoke randomly free flowing out of exhaust .. even when parked at some times.. i have a catless 2.5" dp and full 3" dp back exhaust (ptuning) with a muffler in the middle. the smoke isnt so much whitish as it is dark grey or greyish

Quick Reply: turbo tc, smoke n oil out valve cover breather filter