Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo tc, smoke n oil out valve cover breather filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's just you running rich if it's a dark exhaust.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i thought but even at idle it will do it sometimes.. to rich im assuming
Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's probably a small thing like blowby and if it is blowby than just buy an oil catch can. If it's the headgasket change your oil and look at it and if the oil is a little milky than your headgasket is done. Also you can do a compression test on your motor.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
ok so how about smoke randomly free flowing out of exhaust .. even when parked at some times.. i have a catless 2.5" dp and full 3" dp back exhaust (ptuning) with a muffler in the middle. the smoke isnt so much whitish as it is dark grey or greyish

Could be your oil seals in your turbocharger a buddy of mine had that happen to him not too long ago he was told since he ran full synthetic that he did not have to let the car cool down after boosting to shut the engine off i know i know he was stupid and didnt listen to me when i told him to get a Turbo Timer because he is impatient... but none the less he would boost it up his long ___ drive way and then shut it right off. No Cool down process at all. You have to let that turbo cool down to normal operating temp if not the seals will expand during heat and then constrict so tight when the car is just shut off immediately. But thats just a guess here dont quote me it's just my buddy's car was doing that exact thing when his turbo oil seals went
Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats probably what happened to me.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I'm not so sure about that.. the ringlands will be the first to go on our cars... They're too close to the top of the piston (because it was designed for NA).

Do a compression test and then a leakdown if you find you're losing compression.
QFT!... the rings on the stock pistons are placed extremely high on the piston which does not help in boosting high situations. usually the rings are the very fist thing to go or a bent rod.

leak down, and copression check first, then turn down the boost until you set up a proper vented system to eliminate crank pressure. this is something that the honda world is doing now which is adding extra vents in the VC and routing it to a catch can with a breather on top to fix the issues.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm running at 10PSI on my supercharger and recently installed the modifications to my supercharger intake. With those changes I put in the valve cover filter, removing the recirculator hose.

I now see a tiny bit of smoke coming out of my hood, from the hood vent that sits right above the valve cover. I don't see it all the time, usually after high RPM's or agressive acceleration. When I did take apart all the stock piping/hoses for the intake, I did notice a small build up of sticky/dirty oil on the inside of the pipe with the rebreather/valve cover hose.

I'm at 85k miles (45k of those have been supercharged)
Should I start with compression testing to see what to fix/upgrade/reinforce first?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

had this same problem and connected both breather valves to the catch can and just put a breather filter on the catch can. Stopped smoking but will every once and awhile after running it hard
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have smoke coming out of your valve cover breather hose or if smoke comes out of the dip stick tube, when dip stick is pulled out and car is idling, your rings and/or ringlands are shot in at least one cylinder. Do a compression test immediately and start saving for a rebuild. There should never be that much blowby and just installing a oil catch can will not solve your problems; you will still have bad rings. A 2az in good condition will not require a catch can because there should be little to no blow by whatsoever.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PAboostedtC5286
Could be your oil seals in your turbocharger a buddy of mine had that happen to him not too long ago he was told since he ran full synthetic that he did not have to let the car cool down after boosting to shut the engine off i know i know he was stupid and didnt listen to me when i told him to get a Turbo Timer because he is impatient... but none the less he would boost it up his long ___ drive way and then shut it right off. No Cool down process at all. You have to let that turbo cool down to normal operating temp if not the seals will expand during heat and then constrict so tight when the car is just shut off immediately. But thats just a guess here dont quote me it's just my buddy's car was doing that exact thing when his turbo oil seals went

As for a turbo timer, it really isn't needed. Yes, there is such thing as oil cooking the seals by letting hot, uncirculated oil sit in the center cartridge but a turbo timer does not do much to help this. If you moniter oil temp with a gauge when you cut the engine off and after the turbo timer has cut off, there is practically no difference in temperature, thus meaning no difference in helping or hurting a turbo'd car with or without a turbo timer. I think import tuner tested this in an old issue as well and proved same results. Any decent turbo shouldn't be affected by the temps we introduce them to in a mildly boosted tc. Oil temps should not get that high.

Last edited by jacob81; 11-05-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jacob81
If you have smoke coming out of your valve cover breather hose or if smoke comes out of the dip stick tube, when dip stick is pulled out and car is idling, your rings and/or ringlands are shot in at least one cylinder. Do a compression test immediately and start saving for a rebuild. There should never be that much blowby and just installing a oil catch can will not solve your problems; you will still have bad rings. A 2az in good condition will not require a catch can because there should be little to no blow by whatsoever.
I dont have smoke coming out of the dipstick and ive run a couple compression tests and everything checked out good... and I'm already saving for a built motor/rebuild ;-)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If your engine is smoking that bad and nothing is coming out the dipstick tube then I would believe you have valve seals going bad. Did you notice any smoke from the exhaust? Check your pvc valve also.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar issue and it ended up being multiple cracks on a ringland. Do a leak down test for good measure.