Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetics concerns.... Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Turbonetics concerns.... Any ideas??

Hey all. First off the kit is great so far but something started happening lately. Now I did hook up a boost controller but not sure if this might be contributing to it but when I hit boost and in full throttle, the car siezes and feels like it hits a brick wall. I lose all power and it stutters but never stalls. Kinda scary but it also makes a fluttering sound from the exhaust. Now I am running with no diverter valve(all atmosphered) but I don't think that can be it being that I barely am in boost when this happens. I checked all lines and clamps. Surprise, no boost leaks and everything seems fine. Oil pressure and EGT's are spot on and no check engine light either. I am getting it tuned Wednesday but wanna know if you guys have any ideas what might be wrong. Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are venting the BOV to atmosphere that is most likely the cause. The tune on the Unichip was not tuned for an atmospheric vent. That definitely has to be tuned for even more so when the BOV is after the MAF as it is on this car...
Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bill gates rich when you shift.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Is the pre-tuned unichip rich anyways?? Cause even at full throttle my Wideband is pig-rich?? Been venting for sometime and now its doing this. Weird but I'll put the diverter back on for now and see whats up
Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
Is the pre-tuned unichip rich anyways?? Cause even at full throttle my Wideband is pig-rich?? Been venting for sometime and now its doing this. Weird but I'll put the diverter back on for now and see whats up
Yes the out of box Unichip tune is PIG rich to make sure the car is 110% safe under boost. Turbonetics ALWAYS releases kits with a VERY conservative tune...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any word on what it was?

Do you have a CEL?

My CEL is on only due to the fact i no longer have any CATS on my car so i'm used to the light being on but i didn't check the codes for a while and when they checked the codes i was throwing a code that had to due with my MAF sensor. It just so happened it was a little dirty and reading wrong so it would seize like that around third gear around 5800rpm. After the cleaned it and erased the code i no longer had that problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

i tried dumping to atmosphere too. At first things were fine and the sound is so much better then not dumping to atmosphere. I'd say about 5 miles later down the road, it experienced the symtoms you said, the symptoms of a too rich car.... i hooked it back up let it idle for a minute and things were back to normal. Weird how it didnt do this earlier
Old 07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea the Unichip is already rich from Tnetics.. Dumping to atmosphere just makes it even worse..
Old 07-01-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I have no CELs on the car at all. As for being atmospheric it runs damn rich but it sounds so awesome We'll see this Monday. Dyno and turn boost up to 10psi. I'll post pics and hopefully vids