Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo's for nervous people?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Default Turbo's for nervous people?

LOL>

well its about that time.

I have to boost this damn car. Ive read so many threads...so many issue's...its all so confusing. I dont know which turbo kit to get, ive read all the sites, all the opinions but no one seems to have my idea's in mind, hence my questions.

I will never ever ever upgrade anything in my block or the head. My motor will stay 100% bone stock.

What kit should i go forth with? Im super big on safety, i will not be a happy camper if i blow this motor. I just want a super reliable complete turbo package that isnt going to make me regret purchasing it. Im not looking to be an 11 second car. But if our cars can handle 300hp all day everyday w/out a headache or worry then i want to sit around 275 and know i have a nice safety cushion. I want to stay nice and mild. Im not looking to race the new RS4. If i wanted a monster i would have purchased one. I might hit the track just once. I want a turbo kit that the entire car can comply w/. I dont want the added h.p. to blow my tranny, or have me in the shop on a weekly basis. Nor do i want to run on 100 octane fuel.

Can someone point me in the right direction....

cliffnotes:

I want turbo w/ no headache.
Will never add pistons rods etc.
Who do i buy?

Rythmnsmoke and other experianced SL members please chime in.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Id go with a ZPI stage 0 with the intercooler upgrade. Put some guages in the car for monitoring, and find a really good shop to tune an e-manage. youll be fine.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well it sounds like you want something thats going to be complete and easy 123 install/ operation + reliability... I completely understand you there. The best kit out there for that (from all ive seen and read) for that type of power and long life, I would say go with the Turbonetics kit. It will put you in the right power range and be reliable. One thing I would say to do with that kit is get the manifold coated. Other than that the kit is complete. Its not a track terror but its not a terror to your block or rotating assembly. Good luck with your project! I hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

see. thats what i was thinking. but upon comparing the stage 0 w/ the stage 1 the only difference is the emanage / bov / intercooler come w/ the stage 1.
so wouldnt that be basically a stage 1?

or am i missing something?

thanks for your post.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLIN-SCION
Ok well it sounds like you want something thats going to be complete and easy 123 install/ operation + reliability... I completely understand you there. The best kit out there for that (from all ive seen and read) for that type of power and long life, I would say go with the Turbonetics kit. It will put you in the right power range and be reliable. One thing I would say to do with that kit is get the manifold coated. Other than that the kit is complete. Its not a track terror but its not a terror to your block or rotating assembly. Good luck with your project! I hope this helps.
Dont forget how hes gonna have to try and find a shop to tune a uni-chip.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Papispico
see. thats what i was thinking. but upon comparing the stage 0 w/ the stage 1 the only difference is the emanage / bov / intercooler come w/ the stage 1.

thanks for your post.
No, you also are pushing more PSI and Bigger injectors.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Do you have the turbonetics kit?

could u link me to the thread thats uve been reading that mades u think its the best?
im trying to read anything and everything.

so whats the real difference between the turbonetics kit and the stage 1 zpi?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

thanks for your post.
How do you like your kit?

cant i just run the kit @ a lower PSI...

Stage 1 = 550 cc injectors...on stage 0 are we using stock injectors? what CC are those?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you have the turbonetics kit?

could u link me to the thread thats uve been reading that mades u think its the best?
im trying to read anything and everything.

so whats the real difference between the turbonetics kit and the stage 1 zpi?
Well, the turbonetics kit uses a diff. turbo, exhaust manifold, down pipe, lol. its a completly diff setup.

The MAIN diff is the Fuel Management.

ZPI offers the E-Manage, and Turbonetics uses the Uni-Chip. It is alot harder to find someone to tune the Uni-chip than it is to tune an E-Manage.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

See. there we go. ur response sets me up lovely for my question.

WHy did u choose ur ZPI set up opposed to the turbonetics considering its completly different? whats the difference in the turbo's...etc.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

thanks for your post.
How do you like your kit?

cant i just run the kit @ a lower PSI...

Stage 1 = 550 cc injectors...on stage 0 are we using stock injectors? what CC are those?
Yes, on the Stage 0, you are using stock injectors. Yoiu could run it at 7 PSI with the stage one no problem.

I havnt gotten my kit yet, my sig says 2/15/2007, soon enough though.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See. there we go. ur response sets me up lovely for my question.

WHy did u choose ur ZPI set up opposed to the turbonetics considering its completly different? whats the difference in the turbo's...etc.
The ZPI kit uses the Big 16g. Im not looking for lag, nor 450 WHP so its a pretty decent turbo for what im looking for.

Turbonetics uses a t3/t4. Although this is a very good tubo, i think its most efficiant for higher HP numbers, and has slight lag, and spools later than the ZPI kit.

You just have to do the research for urself thou, call ZPI, DEZOD, TURBONETICS, GREDDY. see what they say. Im just giving you my opinion, i was in your shoes last year.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The stock tune on the turbonetics kit is perfectly safe on the stock motor. I still have the stock on on my stock motor and its almost been a year.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I hit full boost around 3,200 RPM's. Its nice when driving around town cause you can stay off boost pretty easy. But if you need it full boost at 3,200.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

the dezod kit uses a Turbonetics Dezod Spec'd T3/T4 T.E.A. Turbo.

Can someone explain what the hell that is.

Is it the same turbo in the turbonetics kit?

How does the dezod kit compare to the turbonetics kit?

Yamaha u seem to be a die hard turbonetics fan...why opt for them all the time? show me the light...
Old 01-28-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching.....great info guys. I too am interested i a mild turbo but I purchased a 100,000 mile warranty and don't want to jack that up.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member

i like the ZPI more than the turbonetics.....however ive heard around that many people are blowing their engines with the zpi...and if you go with the stage 0 and u use the stock injectors it is possible that the engine will try to suck in more fuel than possible, untimately blowing the injectors and seizing youer motor which is never good. i no many people that have the turbonetics and are loving it. i'd go with the turbonetics its a much more laid back almost daily driver turbo set up where as the ZPI is practically just set up for dragging. think about it the ZPI is designed to have parts added on eventually making and monster which is wat you said you dint want. so i'd go with the turbonetics. that is what i plan to do once i get a hefty check in the mail from an accident a while back
Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

yea bro. i have the same thing. i LOVE my car to death. i just hate its so slow. and that trd s/c isnt really anything to rave about...

well im off to work now. Please keep the thread alive andrew1782, ill be back to post/ comment later 2night..

still waiting for rythmnsmoke to chime...
Old 01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm not a die hard Turbonetics fan. I am a fan dont get me wrong. I love my kit! I was just trying to say dont rule them out. The warrenty sold me on it. Thats something to think about. I mess up a turbo on my kit(which was totally my fault) I called them and had a brand new shiny turbo on my door step the very next day for free. Cant beat that!

Dezod's turbo is just a Turbonetics turbo built to Dezods standards. They are made at Turbonetics to dezod spec they want them shipped to them as far as I know.

Now if youve been reading these forums at all you should know what travis(rythm) is going to say...hahah
Old 01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Papispico,

You should also check out the Treadstone turbo kit. It appears to be a great set-up with everything you need incuding 550cc injectors and an intercooler. Comes set to run 7psi without engine management. Read up on need4speed's post. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=148924
He installed it himself and is loving it. From all i've read and gathered, this appears to be the best set-up for the buck for those of us who don't want to spend 5 g's right off the top. I'm no expert, just my opinion. Great info on this thread though. Keep it comin boosted bros!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo's for nervous people?