Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo's for nervous people?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedbox89
i like the ZPI more than the turbonetics.....however ive heard around that many people are blowing their engines with the zpi...and if you go with the stage 0 and u use the stock injectors it is possible that the engine will try to suck in more fuel than possible, untimately blowing the injectors and seizing youer motor which is never good. i no many people that have the turbonetics and are loving it. i'd go with the turbonetics its a much more laid back almost daily driver turbo set up where as the ZPI is practically just set up for dragging. think about it the ZPI is designed to have parts added on eventually making and monster which is wat you said you dint want. so i'd go with the turbonetics. that is what i plan to do once i get a hefty check in the mail from an accident a while back

Ok...wait...take a deep breathe. Now, here is what I need for you to do. Go do a search through all of the recent F/I PROBLEMS with turbo (not S/C'er) and tell me exactly how Many ZPI turbo kits you find where the motor blew up, injectors feed to much fuel making is seize.......If you can FIND 1, I will give you a $1 through PayPal. I'm pretty confident you won't though, because they aren't ZPI turbo kits.

Secondly, as for the ZPI kit practically just setup for dragging, just thought I would let you know that our Stage 1 is daily driven to and from work by my pregnant fiance. She works about 15 mins away from work, so when she gets home from a 30 min round trip, I take it out later at night and dish out some much needed pain where it needs to be dished. 9.5-10.2 PSI daily, Stock block engine, 93 octane pump gas.

PS....be careful not to play into rumors. ever played that little game in grade school where the teacher puts all the students in a circle, and tells the end student a story and have them pass the story around through the entire circle, and by the time it gets back around.....it's COMPLETELY different. That's what's going on with your post.

If I had to tell you EXACTLY my thoughts on the MOST reliable kits on the road today. It would be

ZPI
and
Turbonetics

But ZPI imo, is faster than the Tnetics setup because of it's spooling capability with the Big Evo III 16G. The ZPI kit is not DESIGNED to be turned into a Beast, therefore deaming it unuseable in daily driving (remember, I drive ours everyday). It's more UPGRADEABLE FRIENDLY if you really want to go that far to say that (really all the kits can be upgradeable friendly). You can have it customized when you order it. It's your call, but that doesn't mean it's Unstreetable.

......Are yall REALLY going to make me make a vid of me just driving around everyday. I can go to McDonalds and have my pregnant fiance driving while I video tape if you like...
Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Now if youve been reading these forums at all you should know what travis(rythm) is going to say...hahah

LOL....I fooled you this time though by my post above. I do really try to be UN-biased and basically tell it like it is. There is definitely a lot of SUGAR coating as I like to call it, that goes on in the F/I section. I tend to think I have a Larger than normal ability for Common Sense, and can smell through the BS.

But you know, some people just don't like to hear the truth.

PS....Sorry I was a little late getting to the thread..lol. We have been working some hours on getting a ZPI street/strip clutch into Rich's car (blownupmarine). His stock clutch had it's last breathe the other day, so he had to buy something to support his driving habits.

Guess he's been hanging around me to much...
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO! Great info. All I can picture though is your pregnant fiance with a fierce grin on her face MASHING the throttle and tearing up asphalt on the way to work. Getting out and going whew......what a drive what a drive!

My concern is about the engine problems obviousley. Based on what you have stated and the fact I drive an auto. Would you reccomend the ZPI stage 0? or what? How much would I be looking at?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ ha, you beat me to it travis. I think we all love seeing more videos. " um, ill have the number 2 " you crack e up man. and yes, speedbox89 needs to read up alittle more.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I will say it... I have to.... and please dont take offense.

If you dont know enough about the car to troubleshoot it and work on it yourself, then leave it alone or go with the TRD SC and hope warranty is nice to you if it breaks.

A common pitfall these days, thanks to crappy magazines and movies, is that people go out and pay to have a turbo kit installed (many of which are designed by others that probably dont understand enough.. not towards any particular shop.. but you have to be careful) and then post threads a month later saying "OH MY GOD, ITS BROKE AND I CANT FIX IT!".

Take some time to do your research, learn and know what can break and why before you start modding a car. You will be much happier in the end.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
LMAO! Great info. All I can picture though is your pregnant fiance with a fierce grin on her face MASHING the throttle and tearing up asphalt on the way to work. Getting out and going whew......what a drive what a drive!

My concern is about the engine problems obviousley. Based on what you have stated and the fact I drive an auto. Would you reccomend the ZPI stage 0? or what? How much would I be looking at?

I have seen some of the Auto guys (PeteyD, 318tC...and some others), push near 220-230whp without tranny problems. Anything above that, I would recommend getting a tranny cooler. From there you can pump out a little more for that extra UMPH..

With the Stage 0, one would expect roughly 230+whp on a M/T tC. Expect a little less with an auto..220whp or so. You can run it without management just fine. Without management, the car will run good and rich. Good and rich is nice for saftey and reliability, but good and rich also hurts gas mileage as well as not pumping out AS much HP as you could possibly with a leaner fuel trim. So, if you were to add the optional management with it, you can adjust the fuel to get better gas mileage as well and extracting a little more HP out of it.

The Stage 0 is designed to where if you find yourself getting use to the power it makes, and you want more.....It is designed to be easily upgraded to a Stage 1. Equipped with a tranny cooler, and some good fluids, you would be good to run at least 8 PSI on your auto.

A LOT of people say they won't ever upgrade. But I tend to find that to be more false than it is true. Boost is VERY addicting. You might say you won't touch anything now, but that's generally the thoughts when you haven't felt what it's like to have a turbo tC.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
^ ha, you beat me to it travis. I think we all love seeing more videos. " um, ill have the number 2 " you crack e up man. and yes, speedbox89 needs to read up alittle more.

No mustard, no pickles....
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I will say it... I have to.... and please dont take offense.

If you dont know enough about the car to troubleshoot it and work on it yourself, then leave it alone or go with the TRD SC and hope warranty is nice to you if it breaks.

A common pitfall these days, thanks to crappy magazines and movies, is that people go out and pay to have a turbo kit installed (many of which are designed by others that probably dont understand enough.. not towards any particular shop.. but you have to be careful) and then post threads a month later saying "OH MY GOD, ITS BROKE AND I CANT FIX IT!".

Take some time to do your research, learn and know what can break and why before you start modding a car. You will be much happier in the end.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Don't forget though. Due to Stealership shaddyness...it's almost worse of a gamble to go with the S/C'er over a turbo. See the thread about the guy who blew his motor and his S/C'er was completely stock (besides him having an exhaust). Stealership told him his oil was low, so they won't warranty him.

They will try EVERYTHING to get out of warranty work. It's a tough road. Since I live close to ZPI, I opted to do the performance shop mechanic route when it comes to our engine. Every other little stuff (like the gas door wouldn't lock because the cable broke), I take that to the dealer.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before doing anything I would find out what kind of local support you have to help along the way with installation, tuning, troubleshooting, etc. If you have a favorite shop in mind, find out what they like to work with and what they work with best in regards to tuning. Then pick a product that suits.
For me my best option at the time was the supercharger. My dealership has been incredibley nice but its still been a monsterous, absolute, incredible, over-the-top PITA.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Before doing anything I would find out what kind of local support you have to help along the way with installation, tuning, troubleshooting, etc. If you have a favorite shop in mind, find out what they like to work with and what they work with best in regards to tuning. Then pick a product that suits.
For me my best option at the time was the supercharger. My dealership has been incredibley nice but its still been a monsterous, absolute, incredible, over-the-top PITA.
Why would the factory warrantied SC be such a pita?

Putting a turbo on a non-factory turbo car is probably not the route to go for the "nervously inclined" folks...my .02

Also the a/t tranny is also not going to like the turbo for very long unless you invest in some transmission upgrades along the way.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
I think you're right. You should talk to the auto shop that is going to install your T/C. Get some info from them. Find out which Kit they like to deal with. you're going to need some local support one day.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i just installed my zpi stage 0 last weekend, and had a few minor problems, but i would have to say that the stage 0 is very reliable on stock internals, and spools very very quickly....it may not be as "pretty" as the t-netics, but it does pack a good bang for you buck, and ZPI combined with people on here can answer any of your questions....if your into something that is reliable , great power gain for the amount of boost (6 psi) and has basic maintenance, i would go for the zpi stage 0