Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TurboToyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

id rather have 10k in quality aftermarket parts and look/drive/handle amazing then spend 5k in sht aftermarket parts just to TRY to make it look like there are quality parts on it when it looks/drives/handles like the sht parts that are on it
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dave2610
agreed been on here long enough to see it go bad many times. if im gonna do it im gonna do it right
Agreed, but by doing it right? Isn't spending $3-4k on a TT or Dezod kit and then getting a proper tune 95% (if not more) of a $6k PTuning kit? That's a large price difference. There are ways of 'doing it right' for not a complete crapload of money, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see your point
Old 11-06-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Twilight2ner
agreed been on here long enough to see it go bad many times. if im gonna do it im gonna do it right
Agreed, but by doing it right? Isn't spending $3-4k on a TT or Dezod kit and then getting a proper tune 95% (if not more) of a $6k PTuning kit? That's a large price difference. There are ways of 'doing it right' for not a complete crapload of money, wouldn't you agree?
to a certain extent.

i dont think you'll get a TT or Dezod kit and a proper tune for 3-4k if you want it all done right then you'll end up paying a little more.

but if the PTuning kit coems out to be more reliable and more powerful then wouldnt that be better?

i am NOT saying that TT or Dezod does not make a quality kit by any means at all, i love both kits equally and have ALWAYS been a HUGE supporter of Dezod

but wouldnt you say that you have a better chance of getting something that will yeild you better results if the quality and price is a littler higher?

take wheels for example.

Volk vs Konig? its a no brainer
Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^And that is the problem with ScionLife. Always crying about getting the good stuff, but don't want the good stuff price. Not going to happen. So, they make all these demands to change this, change that....and in the end...never buy.
The demands/never buying thing is one thing. But how many people actually can spend thousands on a car after buying a $13-14k (used) or $17k (new)? Honestly, if I had the cash to spend out of my wallet to buy all these high-priced things to put on my econobox, I would have probably bought a $25-30k car from the start. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and will mod it with as high-quality parts as I can afford, but $5-6k on a turbo kit? That's worth a third of the car lol.

That's what I'm talking about. You can't afford to play with the Big boys, don't start hounding the Aftermarket to give you the good stuff. And it's not even the big $ items I'm talking about. I'm talking things small like Fuel line setup. My friend/club member, and small business owner put out a product, and he got bumbarded with, Can you make it in this color?.....Ok, done...Can you now put engravings on it?....Ok, Done....Well, can you make it work with stock stuff?...Don't know why...but Ok, Done....Well, you know, if it had such and such, I would have bought it. All these crazy request and when it gets done, they STILL don't buy.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
^^And that is the problem with ScionLife. Always crying about getting the good stuff, but don't want the good stuff price. Not going to happen. So, they make all these demands to change this, change that....and in the end...never buy.
The demands/never buying thing is one thing. But how many people actually can spend thousands on a car after buying a $13-14k (used) or $17k (new)? Honestly, if I had the cash to spend out of my wallet to buy all these high-priced things to put on my econobox, I would have probably bought a $25-30k car from the start. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and will mod it with as high-quality parts as I can afford, but $5-6k on a turbo kit? That's worth a third of the car lol.
I bought a tC so I can dump some money into it, to make it decimate cars that are $25-30k.

And THAT is why it's so MUCH more fun.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

When did Ptuning give a price for their Kit? Your getting ahead of yourself. At the same time, you are in a sense saying PTuning is > than Dezod or TT simply by stating their pricing will be greater due to having better quality parts.

What a great compliment, but your getting ahead of yourself.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

agreed travis

i wish scion people where more like subaru people lol. they PAY for the quality stuff... (minus the guys who buy rotas lmaooo)
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.. i spent well over 5 grand on my s1 kit + tune + gauges + exhaust... not including install..
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

you like it?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Correct, when it's all said and done, ALL of the turbo kits are going to be in the ball park of $5-$8k to do it right. I think if I were to tally up what I have put in the motor alone (various clutches, tranny, turbo, piping, gauges...etc). I would estimate in the $8-$10k ball park. That's just the motor, not suspension, dress up items, Carbon fiber. I still got a long ways to go.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spent 5K just on the kit from TT ordered back on 2 May and was promised a 6 week turn around, I am in Iraq working and the little time I have in the US is very valuable to me this will be my second trip home in Jan and I need it to be there because after that I won't be back in the US for at least 8 months. This has turned out to be a very crappy deal. I have communicated only throu email, text, and leaving voice mails I have never talked to him on the phone nor has he returned any calls.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^^ Correct, when it's all said and done, ALL of the turbo kits are going to be in the ball park of $5-$8k to do it right. I think if I were to tally up what I have put in the motor alone (various clutches, tranny, turbo, piping, gauges...etc). I would estimate in the $8-$10k ball park. That's just the motor, not suspension, dress up items, Carbon fiber. I still got a long ways to go.
After adding up everything, my parts list comes to about $8,500. So you're dead on.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When did Ptuning give a price for their Kit? Your getting ahead of yourself. At the same time, you are in a sense saying PTuning is > than Dezod or TT simply by stating their pricing will be greater due to having better quality parts.

I'm not really getting ahead of myself as I could give two craps about it ha. I guess I gave the impression that I did by posting in this thread. ;)

Look, I agree that buying crap parts is dumb. I also agree that you want to put the most quality parts that you can afford on your car is the way to go. I was simply stating that there are ways to get your car to a certain level in a quality and respectable manner for less money than others.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Damn it Nick, another 8 months! Guess you're building that Surplus, and drooling over the New Zealand Chicas, so I can't blame ya. THIS is why TT does not get my vote, because my boy is over seas doing his thing, and can't come home to enjoy the time he has because he can't roll around boosted with me and the rest of the crew.

But to the fan boys, I don't have a legit reason, I'm just being a hater.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not really getting ahead of myself as I could give two craps about it ha. I guess I gave the impression that I did by posting in this thread. ;)

Look, I agree that buying crap parts is dumb. I also agree that you want to put the most quality parts that you can afford on your car is the way to go. I was simply stating that there are ways to get your car to a certain level in a quality and respectable manner for less money than others.

And therefore...finding yourself at the back of the line with the little ones. That's all I'm saying.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i dont think that if you use a lot of low quality parts will ever get your car to a respectable level, i think that if you use crap parts your car will look like crap. it makes sense, and its agrivating to hear people calling tC owners (not necessarily in this thread but in general) the new civic owners.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My name's Matt btw. Haha since everyone seems to know each other in this thread I'll at least introduce myself.

And to total mine so far (I've searched high and low on eBay, the classifieds, etc for these prices):

$3000 - Dezod S1 (w/ boost/wideband/oil pressure gauges)
$375 - Competition Clutch Stg. II
$450 - Tune by Ptuning (quoted, hoping to keep it around that)

I'm not done acquiring parts, but that stuff alone will net me what, 250-260whp fairly reliably? Add the exhaust and possibly another tranny upgrade or 2 (LSD possibly? Flywheel?) and I'm still coming in under $6k (I can install everything but the LSD confidently myself).
Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ dang u got an s1 with gauges for 3k.. thats really good..
Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
i dont think that if you use a lot of low quality parts will ever get your car to a respectable level, i think that if you use crap parts your car will look like crap. it makes sense, and its agrivating to hear people calling tC owners (not necessarily in this thread but in general) the new civic owners.
Where did I state that I'd use lower quality parts to bring my car to a respectable level? No where did I state that lol.

Quick Reply: TurboToyotas?