Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Vacuum Hose Question

Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Vacuum Hose Question

I have searched and cant seem to absorb how exactly to connect my vacuum hoses

I have the Turbonetics Kit. As dezod's installation pdf states (or atleast to my understanding) is to connect hose from wastegate to turbo. Then cut vacuum hose from the Throttle Body and add a T. Then a hose from the T to the Blow off Valve. Does this sounds correct?

Where would I connect my Boost Gauge? I have an AEM FIC, does that need a vacuum line connection too?

Im sooo confused about this. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a vacuum block and connect the FIC and boost gauge to that. Vacuum block can go either on the brake booster line or the throttle body line (in which case you could also do the BOV from the vac block).
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes you want the waste gate to be hooked directly to the turbo housing or anywhere on the ported side (before throttle body). All other accessories should be T-d in off of the brake boost line (intake manifold side). The brake boost line is a big line that can support all other accessories. Like ^ mentioned, get a vacuum manifold/block. That way it will keep everything organized and you can run all accessories off of the vacuum block. And yes, you will need to have a vacuum line run to the FIC, as that will be your MAP reference. it should look like this: (dont mind the circle on the right, thats the EVAP line, dont tap into that one, T into the line on the Left thats circled. Then run a line the vacuum block, and hook up all of your accessories)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*PS not my picture*
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DeAnzaJig
Yes you want the waste gate to be hooked directly to the turbo housing or anywhere on the ported side (before throttle body). All other accessories should be T-d in off of the brake boost line (intake manifold side). The brake boost line is a big line that can support all other accessories. Like ^ mentioned, get a vacuum manifold/block. That way it will keep everything organized and you can run all accessories off of the vacuum block. And yes, you will need to have a vacuum line run to the FIC, as that will be your MAP reference. it should look like this: (dont mind the circle on the right, thats the EVAP line, dont tap into that one, T into the line on the Left thats circled. Then run a line the vacuum block, and hook up all of your accessories)

Wouldnt i need to connect the FIC on a line by itself? Or does that matter?

You said the left circles is where i connect a vacuum block but what is that thing in the middle that says turbo toyotas?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is the vacuum block, made by turbo toyotas. think of it as like an outlet splitter/power strip, but for vacuum lines. (best analogy i can think of). and just run the FIC line to the block. The brake boost line is a big enough line to support multiple accessories. but you dont want to run the waste gate off the block just as a fail safe, along with the fact that its 1 line going to 1 actuator, so its more precise. in fact, i dont ever run a vacuum line to the wastegate on any setups of mine, i just run on spring pressure and double or add springs to the wg if i up boost. i only use a vacuum line/boost controller if i absolutely need to. i just dont trust them so willingly. like those people that go on ebay and buy $10 boost controllers.....that scares the hell out of me.

But this is how its set up: "T" in a line off of the brake booster line and run it to the vacuum block (the big port of the block on the side). then run all your accessories to the vacuum block and zip tie them. then plug the holes you dont end up using with threaded plugs, and also plug the opposite side of the block that you are not using. In the picture both sides are being used, not sure why, but you dont need to run both sides, just one.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:35 AM

that is the vacuum block, made by turbo toyotas. think of it as like an outlet splitter/power strip, but for vacuum lines. (best analogy i can think of). and just run the FIC line to the block. The brake boost line is a big enough line to support multiple accessories. but you dont want to run the waste gate off the block just as a fail safe, along with the fact that its 1 line going to 1 actuator, so its more precise. in fact, i dont ever run a vacuum line to the wastegate on any setups of mine, i just run on spring pressure and double or add springs to the wg if i up boost. i only use a vacuum line/boost controller if i absolutely need to. i just dont trust them so willingly. like those people that go on ebay and buy $10 boost controllers.....that scares the hell out of me.

But this is how its set up: "T" in a line off of the brake booster line and run it to the vacuum block (the big port of the block on the side). then run all your accessories to the vacuum block and zip tie them. then plug the holes you dont end up using with threaded plugs, and also plug the opposite side of the block that you are not using. In the picture both sides are being used, not sure why, but you dont need to run both sides, just one.
Would a vac block with a 1/8 NPT Port work? Meaning, all the ports are 1/8 including where the brake booster goes. The Brake Booster Line looks real big compared to the little hoses that go to the fic and bov and boost gauge.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go with a 1/4 NPT to feed the block, just so the FIC gets a good reading. Most vacuum blocks are tapped at 1/4 or 3/8 NPT for the main feed anyway. And you can use fuel line as vacuum line instead to make it bigger, most auto part stores dont really carry anything bigger that 5/16 vacuum line. I always just use fuel line. its a little more expensive, but it can withstand a lot more heat and pressure
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 PM

I would go with a 1/4 NPT to feed the block, just so the FIC gets a good reading. Most vacuum blocks are tapped at 1/4 or 3/8 NPT for the main feed anyway. And you can use fuel line as vacuum line instead to make it bigger, most auto part stores dont really carry anything bigger that 5/16 vacuum line. I always just use fuel line. its a little more expensive, but it can withstand a lot more heat and pressure
So 1/4 npt to feed the brake booster line.

Let me explain step by step to see if im understanding correctly.

I Tap into the Brake booster with a T. A large T. Then connect a fuel line to that T to the vacuum block with a 1/4 npt port. Plug the other side of the block. Then connect bov, fic, and boost gauge to that?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeap exactly!