Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!

Installed my turbonetics turbo kit for my tC on friday 12/12/08. Drove it around and kept the boost level min. Then i accidently floored it and hit around 5,500 rpm (somewhere around there and pretty close to redline) and white smoke started to come out of my exhaust like mad crazy! the car still runs normal, no strange noises, and turbo can still kick in. Every time i start my car white smoke comes out of the exhaust. Could this mean i blew my turbo seal? i heard that it is a common thing with the turbonetics kit. Or did i blow my head gasket? need help ASAP!

Here's a video i recorded of what is going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEscC...e=channel_page
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well from what I see its nothing more then normal start up fog from this time of year.

Cold weather = foggy exhaust.

Blue smoke is oil, would be the turbo seals and a head gasket is very simple to test for if you wanna make sure. I highly dought its either of those things tho.

Is the turbo brand new? Is it the water cooled version? U on the stock unichip tune?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya looks like just normal start up i mean think of how much more fuel is going through your exhaust now, and im assuming your untuned so your probably running rich...

Also burning oil is blue smoke, looks like you just have the TRD exhuast. when you upgrade expect to see more
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the night i drove it back home smoke was everywhere. I mean whoever was behind me couldnt see anything ahead. Got pulled over for having all the smoke. Luckly i had my friend driving behind me that night. Even when i start the car now, all the smoke comes out. Doesnt seem like anything normal to me. Going down my street makes the whole area look like there was a thick fog. From how bad it looks, seems like i could win a burnout contest without even trying

yeah the turbo is brand new. I actually got it for the 07-08 models from turbokits.com, mine which is an 08. Had to get a MAF adapter and they gave me the AEM F/IC (which i didnt use yet)
Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im actually untuned and using borla catback exhaust right now. The car was working fine for like the first hour or so driving it. Kept the boost level min. Then when i accidently hit redline (somewhere there) all the smoke started to come out.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i'm no expert.. but i'm gonna say the head gasket.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check you oil if it's milky head gasket...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

checked the oil & cap. No sign of anything being milky
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4
Had to get a MAF adapter and they gave me the AEM F/IC (which i didnt use yet)
So your not using any engine management?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yikes, I would not have started the car without engine management unless you had no other choice, and deff not got in boost without being tuned.

t-netics uses a a decent size turbo and at 8psi your untuned/stock engine is not gonna hold, if i were i would do a compression test and leakdown test. Im willing to bet you lost a cylinder.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
SL Member

If its your head gasket check your coolant levels because they should be low because its leaking into your oil ... It might coolant leaking on the turbo and creating a white smoke, at least that's what happened when I blew all the coolant hoses on my Saab.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
yikes, I would not have started the car without engine management unless you had no other choice, and deff not got in boost without being tuned.

t-netics uses a a decent size turbo and at 8psi your untuned/stock engine is not gonna hold, if i were i would do a compression test and leakdown test. Im willing to bet you lost a cylinder.
Either that or he was running so rich from the larger injectors that he washed out all the oil and blew the seals.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im actually untuned and using borla catback exhaust right now. The car was working fine for like the first hour or so driving it. Kept the boost level min. Then when i accidently hit redline (somewhere there) all the smoke started to come out.

If you took it to redline with no tune at all then that very well may be your problem. I wouldnt be surprised to hear you come back and say a couple of the rings are bad.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="yamaha16bw"]
If you took it to redline with no tune at all then that very well may be your problem. I wouldnt be surprised to hear you come back and say a couple of the rings are bad.

okay, so my friend and i just went to check out on my car. Coolant fluid is gone and i refilled it 2 days ago. There is no oil in or around the intercooler piping. But there was a small oil leak where the turbine housing is where the downpipe connects to. Oil shoots out of the exhaust when engine turns on and/or rev. Checked spark plugs, took them out one by one and coming out of the hole on the far left where we took the spark plug out was smoke. Just a small/light smoke. I'm thinking the head gasket is blown cause my coolant is gone orrrr a blown piston. but idk. what do those symptoms tell you?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="turbo_tC4"]
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw

okay, so my friend and i just went to check out on my car. Coolant fluid is gone and i refilled it 2 days ago. There is no oil in or around the intercooler piping. But there was a small oil leak where the turbine housing is where the downpipe connects to. Oil shoots out of the exhaust when engine turns on and/or rev. Checked spark plugs, took them out one by one and coming out of the hole on the far left where we took the spark plug out was smoke. Just a small/light smoke. I'm thinking the head gasket is blown cause my coolant is gone orrrr a blown piston. but idk. what do those symptoms tell you?
With the car running, pull out the dipstick and see if smoke comes out. That will tell you if it's the engine or the turbo that is smoking. Sounds to me like a blown ring.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="tcengel"]
With the car running, pull out the dipstick and see if smoke comes out. That will tell you if it's the engine or the turbo that is smoking. Sounds to me like a blown ring.
just did and oil shot out like crazyyy! no smoke or anything though
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

^^oil shot out like crazy? from the dip stick????
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
^^oil shot out like crazy? from the dip stick????

yeahhhH! shooting out like crazy, went all over my shirt!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ive never had that happen. but would a blown ring or head gasket cause that issue?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
if i were i would do a compression test and leakdown test. Im willing to bet you lost a cylinder.
x2

Quick Reply: white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!