Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy crap, i havn't seen a response about the return line yet!

dude, before you go crazy and get all scared and stuff, let us see the kit, a picture of everything, expecially the return line

lost cyl, head gasket, all that crap would have other signs than just oil comming out the exhaust

your turbo seals or your return line is at fault, sometimes hte turbos aren't clocked properly and the returnline kinks, or bends the wrong way, causing oil not to flow properly and as pressure builds, the oil shoots out the seals and into the exhaust, effectively burning and causing white smoke.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen

dude, before you go crazy and get all scared and stuff, let us see the kit, a picture of everything, expecially the return line

lost cyl, head gasket, all that crap would have other signs than just oil comming out the exhaust

your turbo seals or your return line is at fault, sometimes hte turbos aren't clocked properly and the returnline kinks, or bends the wrong way, causing oil not to flow properly and as pressure builds, the oil shoots out the seals and into the exhaust, effectively burning and causing white smoke.

alright, i'll check the return line in a sec. One day i saw a small leak of oil coming out of the turbo on the side where the downpipe connects to. Is that a sign of a blown seal? Also, is that why oil shoots out of the exhaust?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Please drain your oil and tell us if it's frothy - if it is, that means coolant is mixing with oil, so you probably have a broken head gasket.

I drained the oil out to see, it seems normal. just a couple bubbles, does that mean anything? i dont know much about this...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

What color is the smoke?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc4Eva
What color is the smoke?
White
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill bet you anything you THINK it's white, but it's actually grey or blueish white.

it's very hard to tell the difference. frothy is like a rootbeer float frothy, not a couple bubbles. you're fine, there's either a blown seal or a kinked line. no biggy.

car isn't going to blow up
Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
ill bet you anything you THINK it's white, but it's actually grey or blueish white.

it's very hard to tell the difference. frothy is like a rootbeer float frothy, not a couple bubbles. you're fine, there's either a blown seal or a kinked line. no biggy.

car isn't going to blow up

i bet its a blown turbo. i remember it taking me a while to boost (maybe around 4,500rpm) that was after i had smoke. and i saw some videos of blown turbos on youtube, seems like the kind of smoke i have is like those. If its a blown turbo, i can ship it back to turbonetics and have it replaced cause of the warrenty. =D
Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yea - when i blew my ring I had a ton of smoke comming out. It would start then stop ....car wouldnt stay running toward the end .... My compression test came out horrible so it was pretty easy to tell the engine was blown.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen

it's because you didn't read all the post lol
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Racersky
Originally Posted by aen

it's because you didn't read all the post lol
pshhh, probably. i moderate not readerate.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
Originally Posted by thendawg
Wether the seals on the turbo are bad or not - if you have a serious case of blowby it will cause oil to go through the seals rather than drain back into the pan
that is also true, however in my case my massive blow by was caused from a cracked ring, making my turbo not drain oil and push the seals out. at first we thought i shot the turbo too but it ended up being ok once we got the rest of everything fixed.
Haha just finished tearing down my motor today - mine ended up being a ring land - it was in about a hundred diff pieces - lucky part is cylinder wall seemsperfect so im hoping for a good hone and hopefully able to keep within factory spec and keep running 88.5 bore :D makes things alot easier
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanna see pics of the setup.