Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Why did Scion quit offering the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-over
First off the normal s/c driver was in the 14.7-15.4 area in the 1/4.
More on the 15.0 mark. Seen I/e/h/p pull the same numbers. So I'm not smoking anything. And I owned a s/c. So I know that if I was lucky I was at 180-185 whp. A tc with the 4 bolt ons could take the s/c. Not saying it happens often. But it does happen.

And yeah it doesn't matter if you have a experianced tech install it of not. They had there flaws. The shaft not being balanced right, the airbox clips breaking.

So yeah. It has to do with the install but in this products case. It doesn't.

When you have the master tech tell you it garbage. It's garbage.
ha...haha...but what about a s/c with i/h/e/p and running at 9.5psi....putting down 230whp and runnig in the 14.20 and beatting high 13sec. from a roll on the streets....ha...lol...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

And tell me how long that supercharger last with the 9.5 pulley on the car.
Nice to make 230. But it doesn't last long.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine lasted over a year and a half with no problems until i swapped it for a turbo. i even drag raced and autocrossed with it. drove 900 miles from md to florida in one day, then 18 hours straight on the way back home. car never gave me a single problem with the supercharger.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You only had it on the car for a year. Lol

get me one person that has had it on a car for 4-5 years and 80000 miles.

If I had to guess the life average of thecharger. 36,000 miles.

You'll never. NEVER. See you over 100,000 miles on a charger. Maybe on the car. But not on a charger. And for that kind of money.($3800)
ITS NOT WORTH IT
that's why Toyota killed the project. Was costing them more money to maintain the warrenty than it was making them money.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-over
And tell me how long that supercharger last with the 9.5 pulley on the car.
Nice to make 230. But it doesn't last long.
well i've had to rebuild the s/c but i was running the stock 7psi pulley and that lasted 14,000 miles and now with me doing the rebuild and adding a grease fitting and the new shaft from gompka. with the 9.5psi im at 25,000 miles and counting. the lack of not being able to add grease is where trd f'ed up. and a toyota tech that didn't know what he was doing. my install from the dealer sucked took a full 2 days and i had to reshim the pulley just so it wouldn't shred my belt.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota pulled the plug on the SC because of tougher emission regulations. Toyota discontinue the SC for the 1zz, 1mz, and the 2az. They also pulled the plug on the 2zz and all of their turbo vehicles because of emission as well. Toyota could make another SC for the tc or another turbocharged vehicle, but in the end, they have to please their bigger guys.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
lol, tc's with intake exhaust and headers beating supercharged tC's. dude, what are you smoking? i drag raced several tc's with those mods and even with a crappy launch, i reeled in every one and beat them.

the supercharger wasn't a bad piece of hardware. it was was mainly due to installation errors by inexperienced toyota techs. then poorly maintained by owner's. also, a lot of them bought theirs second hand too, and then posted problems they ran into.

i bought brand new, had an experienced toyota tech install it, and i always take good care of my tC. no problems with the supercharger.
x2, really with i/e/h/p... i dont think so.
and i had 3 years and almost 50k on mine before i replaced the shaft bearings and added the grease fitting. yes it was a poor design, all of the bearings need to be lubricated in some way and even then they were never rated to handle a 65mm pulley. but even with a perfect product its only as good as your install and the toyota techs never got the traning they needed

Last edited by CLT-tc; 03-09-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All these ridiculous reasons for why the s/c was discontinued. I would say because 1 it sucked and 2 there wasn't that much demand for it. How many people that you know are have an s/c? Not many. The s/c can be a great deal now, if you buy used, upgrade it, and do the grease fitting. And all4thegame, the nst pulley never "melted" any bearings. Reason why the bearings gave out is because of lack of lubrication, they seize or wear down. That is why the grease fitting helps so much, also didn't help that the stock bearings aren't even rated high enough on rpm to work well with the 7psi pulley.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be lots of reasons as to why they stopped, lack of interest, high failure rate, warrenty issues.

-glad to say im happy to own one....at least i don't think its broke just yet
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

harrr harrrrrr s/c is a waste of money... 3k? u can get the p tuning kit for 4k.. and put down 100x more power .. and if u want just over 200hp u can just get a 75 shot for 500 or cheaper...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

None of the TRD superchargers have ever been offered for any extended length of time. Its all about demand. I think the 1MZ-FE roots blower was the longest lived or most prolifically produced TRD SC because they were standard on all trim levels of the Previa in 95-97.

I'm happy to have mine too. As far as it being a waste of money ... I got it from Sparks for $1800 shipped and installed locally for $400. Reliably boosted and tuned for under $2600 ... beat it.
If I want more, I'll take precautionary measures and re-tune on a piggy back with a smaller pulley. Until then, I'm happy with 7lbs.

Last edited by BLUEMEANIE; 03-10-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
SL Member

The fact is no one has definitive proof as to why TRD discontinued the supercharger and too be honest... Who cares? The charger was out for little over 3 years and If ya wanted one and didn't buy it from fall 05 to spring 09 then its your loss. Someone might have used one somewhere for ya.

Listen if u paid 3k or more for the supercharger and its installation then i feel bad for you. The 05-06's were $1900 for monthes at TRD Sparks and installation only took me and my brother in-law 8 hours. The instructions were idiot proof.

And to back what Street said... Sure the i/h/e/p na tC can do 14.7-15.0 but then ur maxed out. With the SC (like any type of forced induction) u can continue modding and modding away with pulleys, injectors, tune, meth. U cant tell
me icenines 311 whp beast didnt run 13s. And if the pulley side bearings give ya trouble swap em out for some ceramic ones. Its not very hard. < (thats what she said.)
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well I guess if people waited over 2 years to buy the SC at all.. then bought it on a huge sale ($1800) because that model was on the way out... then that comparison would be valid.

Again, only the final sell out of the 05-06 unit was $1800 on sale. Up until then, it was always $3000 or so.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wasnt the supercharger designed/built by vortech? did their shaft-driven models for other vehicles have as much problems?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
wasnt the supercharger designed/built by vortech? did their shaft-driven models for other vehicles have as much problems?
On the early 05-06 models only the V5 blower itself was built by vortech. The pulley housings and shaft were designed by TRD. Then once TRD realized they f**ked up, when bearings wore out and shafts started warping, I believe they handed full reign over to vortech to make a redesign from the blower to the pulley. I got one of those rare redesigns (with the machine finished tapered shaft housing and triangular bolt pressure plates) after my first one blew. It has Votech inspection stamps on the pulley side bearing housing unlike my first one. 8000 miles of hard redline driving and no problems. As for the 07-09s... dont have a clue.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I bought my tC in May of 2005, had the supercharger installed in November 2005. I was running the 9.5psi pulley for less than 2 years before going to 12 psi. It's been about a year on 12psi and my ODO read about 95k miles.

I had the bearings and seals replaced when Kikcaffine released his kit. Didn't replace them because anything was really wrong, just wanted to replace the bearings before anything bad happened. I did have an issue with the Timken seal that was used for the input shaft.

I had the shaft replaced when the Timken seal replaced and it turned out that the stock shaft looked brand new.

Only other issue I had was with the belt after going to the 9.5psi pulley. The pulley wasn't shimmed properly so the belt started to shred and eventually popped off.

As far as TRD not offering the supercharger anymore, it's all speculation.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is like fighting about why they discontinued the Celica, who really cares that much.

And I'm pretty sure there is a very successful race team running a TRD supercharger. . .
Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
This thread is like fighting about why they discontinued the Celica, who really cares that much.

And I'm pretty sure there is a very successful race team running a TRD supercharger. . .
Exactly
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
SL Member

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...em.php?gik=402

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...em.php?gik=387
Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^I'm a big Dan Gardner fan and his tC, but once again he had that installed by TRD, not a dealership, they took special care on his, so no wonder he's had great success with his, unlike the rest of us , but anyways...I'm done with this thread, sorry to the original person who started this thread, just wanted to make sure you knew the good things(its 50 state legal, but I think thats the only good thing about it, since the majority of units only tend to last less then 10K miles) and the bad things(too many to list, don't have the time to do it....), once again I'll say good luck and I hope it goes well for you.

Oh....and I was referring to my post some where else, don't want to keep repeating the same over and over again so you read here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=182829&page=2

Last edited by gwtc; 03-15-2010 at 02:22 AM.