Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

wrapping my minfold and downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default wrapping my minfold and downpipe

I have heard that wrapping my manifold and downpipe is bad for them, but have seen no data to prove this, I want to wrap mine and put a blanket on my turbo, because I have heard that you can pick up almost 10 hp by doing this and dramaticly reduce underhood temps which has bee a major concern for me. Anyone have any input on this subject?????
Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not recommend wrapping the manifold, as the heat that the wrap holds in can make the manifold easier to crack (if its stainless steel that is). However, I would wrap the downpipe and hot-side of the turbo.

I have put a turbo bag/shield on mine, but have not wrapped the downpipe.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jsg93085
I would not recommend wrapping the manifold, as the heat that the wrap holds in can make the manifold easier to crack (if its stainless steel that is). However, I would wrap the downpipe and hot-side of the turbo.

the way I understand it is that when you wrap the mani,turbo, and down pipe with heat wrap, it actually forces 90% of the heat that is normaly radiated from them further down the exhaust system, as it is not trapped and radiating from the turbo assembly, but I am assuming the actual exiting exhaust gas from the muffler would be much hotter then the current temps
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Troys_tc

the way I understand it is that when you wrap the mani,turbo, and down pipe with heat wrap, it actually forces 90% of the heat that is normaly radiated from them further down the exhaust system, as it is not trapped and radiating from the turbo assembly, but I am assuming the actual exiting exhaust gas from the muffler would be much hotter then the current temps

Wrapping the manifold decreases the life of it. Dezod even does not recommend wrapping their manifolds. You will make it fail sooner than later. And yes it will force the turbine to become hotter and spin a little faster. So, you both are right. But 10hp is not going to register on the butt-dyno, so why take the risk.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my downpipe wrapped, and I have the PTP blanket on my turbo.

It made an incredible difference in temperatures under the hood.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I'm curious, why does the blanket and heating up the turbine side make the turbo spin faster? I would think this would lead to more heat soak to the compressor side and make the intake charge hotter.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

x2.

I'm curious as well.

Another thought, I wonder how much hotter the oil gets (and/or the coolant, if its a water cooled turbo) when it passes through the turbo, thats spinning a gazzilion times faster than the engine.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
I'm curious, why does the blanket and heating up the turbine side make the turbo spin faster? I would think this would lead to more heat soak to the compressor side and make the intake charge hotter.
The turbine itself not only operates of of the exhaust gas flow, but also the heat the exhaust gases produce, perhaps as much as so than the flow from the exhaust gases. The hotter it gets, the faster it spins.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The turbine section of a turbocharger is a heat engine in itself. It converts the heat energy from the exhaust to power, which then drives the compressor, compressing ambient air and delivering it to the air intake manifold of the engine at higher pressure, resulting in a greater mass of air entering each cylinder. In some instances, compressed air is routed through an intercooler before introduction to the intake manifold. Because a turbocharger is a heat engine, and is converting otherwise wasted exhaust heat to power, it compresses the inlet air to the engine more efficiently than a supercharger.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

good response ^^
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't so much concerned from the performance aspect (i.e. trying to get more HP or something to that affect) as I was just trying to keep under hood temps and radiant heat soak away from the radiator.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heat is essentially kinetic energy so the hotter the exhaust is, the more energy it has, the more energy it transfers, the faster it transfers energy, the faster the turbine spins.

If you think in terms of energy, it's really simple: more energy means faster turbine.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So basicaly the more heat that goes thru the turbo, the more it can make, and faster it will spool? Also why is it ok to ceramic coat at turbo manifold, but its not ok to wrap a manifold, when it basicaly does the same thing
Old 02-24-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the coating is very thin compared to wrap and doesn't hold the heat in as well as the wrap would. I have heard of ceramic coating the inside of pipes. this is sometimes done if a customer wants to have the nice shinny chrome on the outside but wants to keep some of the heat down. I think i even seen it done on American Choppers. this may be a great idea i think because it will insulate the heat more from the metal and thus should allow someone to wrap the mani to even further the insulating effect without consequence....this is just a theory though
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, my manifold was jet hot coated inside and out. i might pick up some of that heat wrap and wrap the downpipe and s-pipe (i'll leave a gap for the logo that todd is putting on them now).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, my manifold was jet hot coated inside and out. i might pick up some of that heat wrap and wrap the downpipe and s-pipe (i'll leave a gap for the logo that todd is putting on them now).
nice, i wonder how much lower your surface temps will be because of the interior coating........
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we shall see... still needs to get tuned...