Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2008 tC factory Pioneer subwoofer info

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default 2008 tC factory Pioneer subwoofer info

Hello all. As you can see I've been a member here for quite a while. I did search existing threads before posting this one. I just recently sold my 2006 tC and bought a brand new 2008 tC. My new 08 tC came equipted with the premium pioneer head unit and also has the factory Pioneer subwoofer that is now (for 200 mounted under the rear trunk floor by the spare tire. I have searched the web and my local Toyota dealership.... I can't seem to find anyone / place that can give me specifics on this new sub. If anyone here can shed some light on the new unit that would be greatly appreciated. It actually sounds pretty good for stock Pioneer and the best part is that you can lay the back sets down for larger items without it being a pain in the a$$.

Thanks for everyone's input in advance
Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since you didn't actually ask a question...not quite sure what sort of answer your expecting.

it's a 6" subwoofer that is located under the hatch floor. it sounds aweful and too boomy because it's too much mid-bass and no low end. elemental designs makes a drop-in 10" subwoofer/enclosure that a lot of people use, that is a direct replacement for the entire unit. I personally have pulled the factory subwoofer, built an amp rack that is under the false floor and a large ported subwoofer in the hatch.

i noticed you said that you've been a member for a while. check out these other two threads that were listed right under your thread. they should give plenty of info.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221879
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=231352
Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Yes I did ask a question. I asked if there were specifics as to what type of sub it was. The threads you mentioned I did look at prior to posting. They kind of went back and forth of what they thought it was. I posted to see if anyone actually knew the true specifics. thanks for the info. I agree, it's okay but definatly to much mid bass. Especially stepping down from custom 1800 Watt Pioneer system with amps and 12" subs. I took it out of my 06 tC before I sold it... so I'm thinking its going in the 08.
Only thing that sucks is giving up all the trunk space and making it a pain in the a$$ to get to the spare.

thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took mine out when I got the ED Stealth setup and just for kicks I took the stock 6" sub out of the enclosure to see what it was and it's just a single voice coil paper cone sub w/ no writing on it anywhere. I believe the sub is 35 watts (woot woot).

As for giving up trunk space.....get the Elemental Designs Stealth Box.......check out my setup:

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^ cool we should meet up sometime..i wanna hear the quality
Old 07-31-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I have the same setup but I am using the ED NINe.5 amp to power my comps and the sub.........the sub is good sounding but you have to pad the floor board a bit to keep the speaker face from hitting it.......

I am running mine at about 275w to the sub.......it maxes out at 350 but would not go that high for normal usage unless my crossover points were perfect........

I have spent 4 months now tuning my amp to the right levels for the components and the sub to work together........my D3 has been the biggest problem........it has EQ issues and so hyou almost have to shut all of it off and use the amp 100% for crossover points......

I am fairly deaf so tuning it has been a big pain......tonight I got the sub to hit hard on hip hop that my wife listens to and metal/alternative that I listen to with no distortion for either of us.......it now goes to 35 on the head unit with zero distortion and is loud as heck......

the SQ 10 is a good filler speaker for a stereo but not really good if you want to make a lot of bass.......but not bad for a daily driver and I have the whole trunk short of the amp bolted to the floor.......the whole floor......LOL

I can now hear the stereo at about 50 feet away in the aprtment and it is very clear......and I am sure my neighbors hate me now after a week of tuning at all volumes..
Old 08-02-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump for the stock sub. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? I have a project in mind that I need to know which line is which for the sub. There are black, blue, purple, yellow, orange, white and pink lines on it. Anyone one know which are the signal lines, or how I can determine that myself?

Also, does anyone know the resistance of the sub?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're thinking of just tapping your line output converter into those signal wires, it won't work very well because a line output converter is made to go from high level outputs and convert into low level outputs for an amp but those are already low level.

IDK what the impedance of the sub is..I will meter it next time I remember
Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my plan:

-I used a .wav file that had exact frequency of tones in it to determine a range of frequencies that the sub could play with good quality. I decided it should only play in the range of 40-110Hz.

-Now I am going to design a simple bandpass filter to only allow those frequencies through.

You think that's feasible? I haven't worked the math on what the values should be on the filter, but I just had a class on filter design last semester, it shouldn't be too tough. I guess the only thing I hadn't thought about was if it was ok to do this on a low level signal line.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have never heard of anyone doing this w/ the stock sub....seeing that the stock sub has a little amp mounted on the factory sub box and that no highs get through to the sub...there must be a low-pass filter built into the amp. So you'd be filtering a signal which was going to be filtered again inside the amp. You might end up doing more harm than good.

I don't think the problem is w/ the frequency range w/ the stock sub as much as it is w/ the power handling (or lack thereof). I'd say just replace the whole setup. The ED Stealth setup is great for overall sound quality w/o attracting unwanted attention.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, more highs get through to the sub than I want. On my test track, I had frequencies up to 200Hz that the sub played... That's much higher than any sub should really play. With an ideal set-up, you'd probably have it cutoff at 80Hz!

As far as I can tell, filtering a signal that's going to be filtered again shouldn't cause any real issues. It will just make the LP filter in the amp useless, but since I don't like the job it's doing anyways, that's a good thing.

And yes, I know nobody has done this with the stock sub, but I'm hoping I can get some decent SQ out of it by doing this for people who don't need a ton of bass.

Eventually I do want to go to the ED Stealth box, but I don't have $400 to drop on the box/sub + amp right now, next spring I'll probably get to it, but for now I gotta make do with the stock setup.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True..your filter would be more narrow than the one in the amp so the amp's filter wouldn't do anything. I mean if you can pull off the job cheap, by all means try it! I'm definitely curious.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

after a little bit of use..... I've come to the conclusion that the stock sub is the biggest piece of **** that toyota has ever produced. I dont want to give up my trunk space, but I've got the custom 12 setup w/ my 1000W amp I had in my 06 tC. I'll have to kick some ideas around b/c that stock POS has to go. Damn.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by wazzu_coug
it sounds aweful and too boomy because it's too much mid-bass and no low end.
Have you ever got it tuned? I had a friend tune mine and after changing the settings it seems to be fine (not perfect) but it's not "boomy" any more. I have a setting for rock and a setting for one for rap.

I like it but it's got to go for a better showpiece.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

etsnet.....
Is that a setting that you can access from the head unit? I have the upgraded Scion Pioneer head unit, the one just below the NAV. I didnt know if it was just that I was used to having full custom control over my 12" Pioneer sub and tuned in the 1000W Pioneer amp...and I went to hearing the factory 6.5" deal or if the stock was really crappy. To me it just sounds like a constent "hum" of base with to much treble in it.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
etsnet.....
Is that a setting that you can access from the head unit? I have the upgraded Scion Pioneer head unit, the one just below the NAV. I didnt know if it was just that I was used to having full custom control over my 12" Pioneer sub and tuned in the 1000W Pioneer amp...and I went to hearing the factory 6.5" deal or if the stock was really crappy. To me it just sounds like a constent "hum" of base with to much treble in it.
Yeah it was all in the head unit. I have the same Premium one right below the navi too. For one, if you turn the power off and and hold menu it will bring up a "hidden" menu (not really cuz I believe it says in the book). In that menu it allows you to turn on sub control.

Another thing is you have to turn off that stupid sound adjusting or audio level thin (it's crap and kills any settings).

Now you may have been used to your more powerful system but for a 6" stock sub it's not really bad at all as long as you get it tuned in good. I think the stock sounds better then most people 8" or 10" subs that I hear (most not all).
Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

hmmm interesting.... I dont remember seeing to access it that way in the book. so maybe it is "hidden"... b/c without doing that the menu shows you the sub but wont let you mess with the settings. And the peeps at the toyota dealer that I got it from couldnt find their own butts with 2 hands and a flashlight! I'll try that.... does the power just need to go from completely off to the accessory position? or fully on while holding down the menu button? thanks man!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

While the car is on or in accessory just turn the power to the HU off in the top right. Then hold the menu button down until a menu pops up. It also allows you to change the color from orange to blue, allows you to turn on/off ipod control, and a few other things.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If I remember I'll right down my setting and post them up for you.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

^ Cool man I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 2008 tC factory Pioneer subwoofer info