Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

4-Point Harness and Roll Bar: Mount to floor or bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 4-Point Harness and Roll Bar: Mount to floor or bar?

So I'm going to finally get a roll bar this summer so I can run my harnesses to their full potential and I was curious on one thing... after looking at pictures of harnesses on lots of other cars, with bars, I'm not sure what the actual correct mounting procedure is... are you still supposed to mount the belts to the floor (back or below the seats) and run them over the bar or actually mount them to the bar? If the latter... how do I take belts that have stiched-bolt-in points and mount them just to the bar?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

it might be a little different but here is how i ran mine. i ran the harnesses through the slots in the bar and then bolted them down to the floor using the existing holes.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found this info on a civic forum.

Harnesses have their own drawbacks. First are roll-over concerns. You should NEVER, EVER use any 4, 5, or 6-point harness in your vehicle without a roll bar. In the event of a rollover a multi-point harness will hold your body upright as the roof collapses on your head. At a minimum you should use a good 4-point roll-cage to help prevent this from happening. The stock 3-point harness, however, does not suffer from this problem. During a rollover accident it will allow your body to move downards with the roof in most cases, helping to prevent crippling neck and spinal injuries.

Secondly multi-point harnesses must be installed correctly in order to be effective. The shoulder harnesses should be attached no lower than six-inches below the shoulder line, and should be at no more than a 45-degree angle from the top of the shoulder to the mounting point. Ideally the belt should be mounted evenly with the top of the shoulder line. Additionally you want some length of seat-belt material between you and the mounting point for adjustability and proper effectiveness. Too much material though can cause other problems.

There are two reasons for these stipulations. First, seatbelts by design are intended to stretch in an impact. This allows your body to slow down gradually in a collision. Too much material between the mounting point can cause an excessive amount of slack after they stretch, allowing your body to escape from the belts. When belts are mounted to the rear seat area of the vehicle, the large amount of material between the mount point and the driver can suffer from this problem. This could allow the body to come into contact with interior parts of the car, like the steering wheel or dash board, or even dislodge completely from the belt.

Secondly by making sure the belts are even with or slightly below the shoulder line ensures proper effectiveness. If the belts are mounted too low they can cause spinal compression injuries in a frontal crash. As the body moves forward the belts pull downward on the shoulders, compressing the spine. This can cause compression fractures in the vertebrae, herniated disks, or even break the spine.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG, I never knew they were so damaging if not mounted/used correctly! Guess I never thought about it...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

racing belts can be very dangerous if not used correctly. So can a roll cage. A roll cage leaves ALOT of exposed metal piping in the cabin of the car. If someone isnt wearing a seatbelt or if there is any kind of play in the seatbelts and your head hits that metal piping, YOU ARE DONE FOR!!!! Raoll cages are meant to be used in a car with a HELMET on. For daily driving purposes a roll cage can be more danger than protection.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
racing belts can be very dangerous if not used correctly. So can a roll cage. A roll cage leaves ALOT of exposed metal piping in the cabin of the car. If someone isnt wearing a seatbelt or if there is any kind of play in the seatbelts and your head hits that metal piping, YOU ARE DONE FOR!!!! Raoll cages are meant to be used in a car with a HELMET on. For daily driving purposes a roll cage can be more danger than protection.
Thanks for bringing that up 'cause I've been meaning to ask... how dangerous is simply a rollBAR, not a rollCAGE? The pics of the Autopower roll bars show that the pipes at the top lean back away from the driver... maybe it's just the pics but it seems like it would be safe... well, safe enough for me anyway.

Am I being dumb about it or is a rollbar a safe-enough solution? Or should I just find someone to custom-fab a harness bar?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The bar behind the seats would be fine for the front passangers. But imagine those in the rear. Sit in the back and lean your head/body forward. Now iamgine rear ending someone and the rear passangers coming forward and hitting that bar!!!!

I know its probably something to not worry to badly about. And if you wear a seat belt ALL of the time, you probably would be ok. But most injuries in an accident is from striking objects in the car. Windshield, steering wheel, dash. And that is soft stuff!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

pretty much the reason why i dont carry passengers in the back of my car till i can get some kind of padding put on the bar.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thats a god idea. And if you have the $$$ you could do a really cool padded suede with nice stitching and it would look awesome!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i think whut im gon do is just mount the harnesses to the stock rear bolts for shows but use the stock 3 point belts for daily driving...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DON'T MOUNT IN THE THIN THING.

that completely is utilizing the wrong parts of the bar.

wrap them around the bar like you're supposed to, OR MOUNT them to the rear seat. the thing the harness bar does is provides the harness to mount above the hole not below so it does not compress the spine