Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

additional rear speakers (tweeters), possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default additional rear speakers (tweeters), possible?

i dont know too much about car audio so id like to ask you guys. i got 2 tweeters that were previously stocked on a cadillac, i was thinkin if its possible to hook up those in the rear side panals near my speakers or customly install them at the top of rear side panal above the window?

but the thing is that, im still running a stock cdplayer and i replaced my rear speakers with Polk DB650 (2 way speakers!). also the cadillac tweeters does not have a built-in capacitor so its just a fat magnet (ive tested these before, and they are loud).

what could happen if i did install these tweeters with what i got now? and how would install these? what parts do i might need to hook it up? please help! thank you!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The top rear side panel install has been done and looks VERY good when done right. I'm not sure about the tweeter itself though... but you could certainly mount them there.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thats what i wanna do, i was wondering how i could make a clean cut and fit one of those round plastic hole and just put mesh over it....

im mainly worried about what i need to wire them.... do i gotta split the wires or something?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you wont need to split the wires if you get a component system,,, the wires will rundirectly from the crossover to each dedicated component
Old 06-07-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not really an ICE person... but my guess is you'd need a crossover and wire it from your existing rear speaker.

I don't do audio though.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

component system? your talkin about a pair of tweeters and a pair of woofers? i dont wanna replace my polks.... or are you saying i should buy a crossover?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well you have the polks in already... they are components with crossovers... just connect the two pair of tweeters together (polk and caddy) from the crossover OR you can get a crossover with an outlet for an added set
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rear speakers are completely unnecessary. You will get better SQ and staging by having your speakers all up front with only a sub in the rear.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oops did i say i had polks 2 component speakers? my bad! i meant i have 2way speakers!!!! i replaced the rears because stock rear woofers sounds horrible! with the polk db650, the sound is much clearer but i lost some of the good bass i had before.....
Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

then just get a crossover with outputs for a speaker and tweeter. Take the stock speaker wires and put them into the crossver then from the crossver go to the speaker and the tweeter. Sounds easy.

To cut a hole in the rear panel use a hole saw to cut through the plastic, but tape the plastic so that it won't fray and look all bad and stuff.

That should get you to where you wanna go.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not too familiar with crossovers.... isn each output is set up for certain speakers though? like one output for tweeters and one for woofers????

and what crossover should i buy?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

all of that I am not positive about, sorry. The only thing I really know about is the wiring part.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes... on a crossover you will find 6 terminals or 3 pair of positive and negative... first pair is for the signal input from the head unit then the woofer output then the tweeter output... brand wise it is like everything else in car audio...stick to a name brand and you will get what you pay for
Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

here you go, i would think it would be just like comps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-2-way...QQcmdZViewItem

you could run the wires from the HU to this xover, then from the speaker to the xover, then from the tweet to the xover. But dont quote me on that if it works? i know there's pics for this to make it look and sound easier.

Where "Mandos" when you need him?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rear tweeters

I know I'm going to get bashed on this. But just run the wires off the two rear speakers to the two tweeters. To do it properly all you really need is a resister of the positive lead on the tweeters to block the low feq. If you can find a knowledgable person at Radio Shack he can hook you up. I'm using some resisters I've taken off a pair of old home speakers. Lots of cheap small home speakers just use a resisiter to the tweeter and not a crossover. I picked a pair up at a local thrift store for 5 bucks.

Good luck, jjp
Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, I'm the first for this thread but,

DONT DO IT!!!!!

mailny because cadillac's have "premium" OEM stereos that are often multi-speakers per channel which means funny ohm loads for each speaker... Hooking up stock speakers from one car into another with a different HU = a pain in the ___ to do CORRECTLY.... If I were you, I'd just leave it as is... don't do cheap modification, you'll thank yourself later... If you're really wanting tweeters in the back, replace the fronts with an aftermarket component system and amp first, then replace the rears with equal products/power as the front...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rear tweeters

Originally Posted by jjp735i
I know I'm going to get bashed on this. But just run the wires off the two rear speakers to the two tweeters. To do it properly all you really need is a resister of the positive lead on the tweeters to block the low feq. If you can find a knowledgable person at Radio Shack he can hook you up. I'm using some resisters I've taken off a pair of old home speakers. Lots of cheap small home speakers just use a resisiter to the tweeter and not a crossover. I picked a pair up at a local thrift store for 5 bucks.

Good luck, jjp
Sorry to inform you that your post is incorrect.

Resistors do NOT block the low bass from tweeters. That's the job of a capacitor, and he'll need the correct value, based on the specs of the tweeter. What a resistor will do is prevent some of the power getting to the tweeter, as a portion of it will be converted to heat in the resistor instead. How much is dependent upon the power rating and impedance of the resistor used, and how it interacts with the load of the tweeter. Additionally, I wouldn't suggest that anyone trust a radio shack sales person to know anything about how resistors or capacitors apply to audio systems.

Also, a single capacitor makes for a poor tweeter "crossover" (actually it acts as a simple, first order high pass filter), because when you use if to filter at the desired frequency, there will still be too much lower frequency passed to the tweeter, due to the shallow 6dB/Oct rolloff. It's much better to add an inductor (capacitor in series on the hot lead, then inductor paralelled positive to negative) of appropriate value to create a 2nd order filter with 12dB/Oct attenuation.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about doing it but using a good set of components on the front and rear.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow too many advices, idk what path to take... buy a pair of crossovers (or dual crossovers) makes the job alot easier.

i do understand about the capacitors and these cadillac speaker do not have one built-in, though the magnet is fat. i tried these tweeters on my friends aftermarket head unit and these things are loud to the point where if it gets too loud itll start sounding distorted. but i got stock head unit so it wouldnt be pushing that much power, will it?

im trying to find a simple hook up on these tweeters, im mainly worried about customly cutting crap...

so i should just buy crossovers, thats it? do i need a capcitor too (im not sure if i need it because i am running stock)?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

well the loudest tweeters isnt always the best! i still would say get the xovers but then we have some better knowledge ppl here on audio that would say no?

I would also say no with the splicing and such.

here's a good section to put your tweets if you plan on it anyways?
This is fron SL member "rickcsech", clean setup.

but then you have to think about the peeps in the back and busting their ear drums!

Quick Reply: additional rear speakers (tweeters), possible?