Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

additional rear speakers (tweeters), possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
well the loudest tweeters isnt always the best! i still would say get the xovers but then we have some better knowledge ppl here on audio that would say no?

I would also say no with the splicing and such.

here's a good section to put your tweets if you plan on it anyways?
This is fron SL member "rickcsech", clean setup.

but then you have to think about the peeps in the back and busting their ear drums!
That's where it's at. I might have to bite on that style.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rear tweeters

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Originally Posted by jjp735i
I know I'm going to get bashed on this. But just run the wires off the two rear speakers to the two tweeters. To do it properly all you really need is a resister of the positive lead on the tweeters to block the low feq. If you can find a knowledgable person at Radio Shack he can hook you up. I'm using some resisters I've taken off a pair of old home speakers. Lots of cheap small home speakers just use a resisiter to the tweeter and not a crossover. I picked a pair up at a local thrift store for 5 bucks.

Good luck, jjp
Sorry to inform you that your post is incorrect.

Resistors do NOT block the low bass from tweeters. That's the job of a capacitor, and he'll need the correct value, based on the specs of the tweeter. What a resistor will do is prevent some of the power getting to the tweeter, as a portion of it will be converted to heat in the resistor instead. How much is dependent upon the power rating and impedance of the resistor used, and how it interacts with the load of the tweeter. Additionally, I wouldn't suggest that anyone trust a radio shack sales person to know anything about how resistors or capacitors apply to audio systems.

Also, a single capacitor makes for a poor tweeter "crossover" (actually it acts as a simple, first order high pass filter), because when you use if to filter at the desired frequency, there will still be too much lower frequency passed to the tweeter, due to the shallow 6dB/Oct rolloff. It's much better to add an inductor (capacitor in series on the hot lead, then inductor paralelled positive to negative) of appropriate value to create a 2nd order filter with 12dB/Oct attenuation.
I stand corrected. capacitor is correct. Used the wrong word. Though I do agree with you nodsetse, speaker manufactures have been using capacitors in speakers for years with no problem. A good crossover will always sound better, but the right capacitor will produce correct results.

jjp
Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still say don't do it at all... if you are mind set on having tweeters in the rear, then put matching components up front and in the back with equal amped power going to them...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im also with the DO NOT DO IT! crowd. Plus you mentioned that with the new speakers in the rear you lost alot of bass. well then why would you put tweeters in???

If you want more bass, spend $300 on www.elementaldesigns.com ,get a affordable sub and amp and wiring kit and line out converter. then get a cheap sub box, wire it allll up then remove most of the bass from your interior speakers adjust the sub to sound balanced to the interiors and then you will get a decent loud system with a full sound.

but the cadillac tweeters in a scion is a bit, well, ummm idk
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm definitely agreeing with the "don't do it" vote on this. Even though I'm against rear fill in general (there's enough rear fill when only using front speakers, due to the ambience provided by the highly reflective environment and small enclosed listening space), I'm definitely against using mismatched tweeters (as these most surely would be) anywhere. Also, I'd bet those caddy tweeters aren't worth $1 each, and their sound quality (or lack thereof) certainly wouldn't be worth creating custom mods to your tC for.

Regarding pre-made passive crossovers for the tweeters, odds are great you'll be wasting money if you don't know the specs of the tweeter (resonant frequency, power handling capacity & impedance, at a minimum), because you won't be able to ensure the crossover is appropriate, whether or not it will function as intended. A crossover should really be designed for each specific speaker, using something generic that's designed for a broad range of transducers isn't the way to acheive decent sound.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well ofcourse i would lose alot of bass out of the DB650's, i was trying to add clarity.. i'd care less about bass... but im gonna add a sub later on.... maybe a powered sub, with all the rattles i got in my car, i just want a nice clean bass (not loud)....

im still thinkin about hookin these tweeters up... later on ill buy a sub and buy those bass filters to filter out the bass on on my DB650's
Old 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and I still say don't do it... those tweets are going to be lower quality than almost all aftermarket tweeters would be.... you'd probably be better off going to wal-mart and getting some RoadMaster tweeters or something of that nature...
Old 06-09-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
well ofcourse i would lose alot of bass out of the DB650's, i was trying to add clarity.. i'd care less about bass... but im gonna add a sub later on.... maybe a powered sub, with all the rattles i got in my car, i just want a nice clean bass (not loud)....

im still thinkin about hookin these tweeters up... later on ill buy a sub and buy those bass filters to filter out the bass on on my DB650's
Well whatever floats your boat, but its not going to sound good.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

goddam just bringin my hopes down! oh well im having second thoughts of buying the components instead.... i take forever to decide hahaha....
Old 06-13-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

just do it right and go with comps!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

I'm definitly stealing where that tweeter is placed once I get mine, Thats a great idea.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Paradizzle
I'm definitly stealing where that tweeter is placed once I get mine, Thats a great idea.
I agree that location looks nice, but it may not be the best place for optimal sound. It would take some experimentation with placement, measurement & listening to determine the best position for sound quality. Not saying don't do it, just that there's something to consider beyond appearance.