Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

anyone running a laptop in their tC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default anyone running a laptop in their tC?

hey, i tried searching but couldn't find what i was looking for. I'll be getting a laptop for college and was thinking of hooking it up with GPS and putting it in my tC from time to time. i'm probably getting one of those laptops that convert into a tablet PC (the screen rotates and folds down on top of the keyboard... it's a touchscreen). if that happens, it will take up less space than a regular laptop. basically, i'm looking for mounting ideas. has anyone mounted a laptop in their tC? if you have, share your experience... pics are nice, too. thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't tried to mount one, but you can probably buy a toshiba tablet pc, b/c they come in 12 inch, which would be small and light enough to use in car. But i'm curious, how do you hook up a laptop to GPS for navigation? do you need a wireless network card, and use internet programs, or do you actually buy a GPS antenna and have software that can run with it? I have a laptop and wouldn't mind having GPS on it, though i have a megellan roadmate 800, but my sister doesn't know her way around town (she just moved back down here) so she keeps it in her car
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dis____onfiya
I haven't tried to mount one, but you can probably buy a toshiba tablet pc, b/c they come in 12 inch, which would be small and light enough to use in car. But i'm curious, how do you hook up a laptop to GPS for navigation? do you need a wireless network card, and use internet programs, or do you actually buy a GPS antenna and have software that can run with it? I have a laptop and wouldn't mind having GPS on it, though i have a megellan roadmate 800, but my sister doesn't know her way around town (she just moved back down here) so she keeps it in her car
You can just buy the software (like Microsoft Maps & Streets) and then get a separate GPS unit.

They come in different flavors... USB, Bluetooth, etc. It's actually not that expensive, and makes a lot of sense if you already have a laptop.

Pros:
* HUGE screen
* Fully-featured software
* Potential for internet access
* Cheaper if you already are using a laptop for other reasons (I think the actual GPS unit can be had for under $200).
* Removable so it can be easily removed when you're out of the car, and also when you decide to trade-in/sell your car

I'm sure there are other pros.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, I was gonna say Streets and Trips, comes with it's own gps locator and the software. For mounting, I donno what to tell you, a mount would be quite intrusive for a large piece like a laptop, but would come in handy.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cant tell ya exactly where to go and find them but I have seen mounts for labtops that fasten to your pasenger seat and can be removed at anytime. This would be good so you dont have to hard mount anything (Permanant) into your tC!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a car pc currently and am using the GM 210 usb gps dongle. its performed great for more than a year in all types of weather conditions. you can find that on ebay cheap
I would suggest that you use IGuidance for your gps software, rather than MS street and trips. I have used both and microsoft straight up sucks.
here is a link to iguidance http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance3.html

but if you want something more fancy, go with streetdeck. but this is for someone planning on running a carpc. not just something occasion

http://www.streetdeck.com/features.php
Old 07-14-2007, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mounting Solutions
http://www.galls.com/category2.html?...talog&cat=2692
Old 07-14-2007, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been thinking of doing the same thing with a spare laptop. I have found Microsoft streets & tips that includes the antenna for $100. I don't have a mounting solution yet but this is for big trips anyway so just sitting on the passenger seat will do for now.
We used that setup to go to Tulsa for a Scikotics convention and it got us there just fine.