Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AVH-P2300DVD Questions and install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Default AVH-P2300DVD Questions and install help

Looking very seriously at getting the Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD

I have a few questions, one is is there a write up on doing a double DIN unit on here, I have searched and can only find the single.

I have also read how to install decks similar to this but having to recess the deck to get the door to close. More info please!

I have a 2009 tC, hooking up the stock sub to this bad boy... help? Also there have been people mentioning having to install a relay? I do not understand why and what for. (I am a nuts and bolts guy, wires scare me lol)

With using the steering wheel hook up cable, what else is involved?

Doing the mod in order to have it play video while not in "park", there is a cable for this as well, but what is needed?

Thanks guys...
Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The steering wheel interface through PAC is fairly involved but not bad if you understand low voltage wiring and can use a meter. The parking brake bypass involves a normally closed momentary switch. The deck needs to see ground/open/ground on the green lead to enable video while in motion. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you just want to get it recessed to be able to close the cover, just drill holes on your stock mount brackets to make it sit back a little more. or you can get an aftermarket kit that makes it sit flush and eliminates the door cover.

For the steering wheel controls, get the one from Metra which would be easier to install since you don't know much about wires. the one from Metra programs everything for you and easier to install. the one from PAC requires you to install resistors, and if you don't know much about wires, you won't know much about resistors, I'm guessing.

If you want to use your stock sub, stick with your stock HU. converting that stock harness to work with an aftermarket HU is not worth it IMO. I would just get a new sub and run RCA with a remote wire.

As for the bypass, I'm sure there's a wiring method online somewhere about bypassing that unit.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

search youtube for the bypass.

everything else is self-explanatory. just follow the instructions.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Squall, I've only done 2 deck installs to this previously and they were just single DIN w. Ipod hook up (93' del Sol and 1997 Jetta)...nervous is all.

Eziekel- I have heard about the "Metra" wire set up, and ill be buying this as well. Also there is apparently another plug in play type of set up for the "in park" restriction. ALSO What is a remote wire used for, in regards to an aftermarket sub?

TealToaster-thank u much...
Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the remote wire turns on after the deck turns on to send a signal to an amp (if you install one) to tell it to turn on.

it's also useful in conjunction with a relay, to get that pulse you need for the bypass. don't waste your time or money buying a bypass module that just does the same thing... for less than $5 (which the relay might cost you at most...) you get the same effect.

deck installs are pretty much the same with regards to single or double din... when it comes to the wiring.. it's all matching colors to the wiring harnesses... the only difference is mounting it.. at which to get the door to close properly, you only need to drill some different holes to mount it a little further back.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are youtube videos of how to wire in the video bypass. That's how I did it with mine. You just use a normal relay that I had laying around.

Other then that make sure to get the toyota wire harness so you can splice into that instead of your stock harness. Colors are basically the same, just match them.

And like Squall was talking about mounting the radio a little further back. You may have to get it in there to test where you want it to sit and where to drill the new holes. That's if you want your radio door to close without the radio getting in the way which it might.

I installed the avh-4200dvd btw.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Using a relay for the bypass is far too much work. Trust me, I just removed an AVHP3100DVD before trade in that I installed, if I had seen this thread I would have yanked the micro momentary switch I used and threw it in the mail for ya...

Bypass is just as simple as this-

Mint green wire for parking brake wired into a NORMALLY CLOSED contact on the switch, and then straight to chassis ground. When you select DVD or other video aux you'll get the warning message, blah blah, blip the momentary switch once and it opens the contact as a pulse and then enables the video playback. Using a relay is overkill.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 AM
SL Member

for pioneer avh p 2300 dvd. you dont need to drill any hole just use factory bracket that is holding factory raidio. i have 07 tc and i have avh p 3200 dvd. it sits just right. alll u need is little kit so u can cover side of the dvd player. all you need to watch movie while driving is just toggle switch that will on and off. how to hook up single din or double din dvd player is same. because wires are same. its just bigger body compare to single din. having steering wheel control. just get a moudule. and look at the wire chart comming with it. tc have 2 harnesse one for regular radio wires and small sec. one for steering wheel control. just t tap the 2nd harness and hook it up that way.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

You guys are great, thank you much! Any other advise is greatly apperciated as well.

Tealtoster-That would have been great, what did you replace your Toaster on wheels for? (thats what my girlfriend calls them)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM

I am installing the same radio in my tC and having a problem with the radio cover closing, did you end up getting yours to work by drilling new holes? if so how far from the original holes did you drill?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

there are dimples in the bracket that were used for alignment. you'll need to drill them out to get it to sit correctly...

but also conveniently.. also a good location for where the new holes will be.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello Everyone!

Looks to be an old thread but it helped out on how I did my AVH-P2300dvd. It was already installed and had to get it wired to steering wheel for easy access when i bought my tC. So i have always wanted Navigation in it but could not afford to buy the parts needed. ($300.00) so I popped of the waterfall then the HVAC and followed the light green wires to my emergency brake. and I was surprised that after two years of owning it I never looked there. but the light green wires were connected except one of them so i took that one and connected it to a male terminal and the other was already on a female terminal plugged into a wiretap on the cars emergency brake wire... so i unpluggged it connected tested; and now I start the car plug them in and connect up my iphone and open a navigation app set address on iphone and glance at screen to see where I am going! thanks for the youtube video suggestions!