Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/)
-   -   Best Subwoofers (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/best-subwoofers-36872/)

sciontific2005 10-14-2005 02:08 AM

Best Subwoofers

hey guys, starting to think about my stereo now.

Just wodering what you all think is are the best subs out there. I dont want crappy speakers this time around i already made that mistake once.HA

also, maybe some pics of your systems so i dont set mine up like everyone elses. :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

jallamas 10-14-2005 02:13 AM

You want sound quality (SQ) or do you want SPL (thump)

sciontific2005 10-14-2005 02:17 AM

a little of both but mostly THUMP.

jallamas 10-14-2005 02:22 AM

JL, Kicker, IDQ, I could go on and on, wait you will get tons of responses!

John

shawn30 10-14-2005 03:02 AM

JL W7..best sub on the market you can get it in 13 1/2''. 12'' or 10'' only down side is weight..a 13inch W7 is over 75 lbs i think. This sub is insane to say the least.

Alpine Type-X is prolly the second..they make them in 12's and 10's

and JL W6 is prolly the 3rd best out there

You can get the JL's in selaed or ported boxes but i suggest a sealed box because of the size of the ported ones. If your gettin a sub of this quality in a hatch back your only gonna need one or you could very easily have to much bass. Make sure if you get a sub of this quality that you can an amp that power it fully or else you'll be wasting money on the sub.
if you listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop get a 12 and cause a lot of the bass is artificial and it will hit much harder

WWXElDiablo 10-14-2005 03:05 AM

I saw a Sub called the jackhammer it was a 22 inch sub that weighed over 350 pounds. It was just insane. But i wouldnt put it in a tC because it would mess with the horsepower to weight ratio way too much.

Dyltone 10-14-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by WWXElDiablo
I saw a Sub called the jackhammer it was a 22 inch sub that weighed over 350 pounds. It was just insane. But i wouldnt put it in a tC because it would mess with the horsepower to weight ratio way too much.

Wasn't that on "Pimp My Ride"? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, my vote goes with any of the JL W7 Series... I have the 10 W7 and when someone is in my car, they think I have 2 12's. I open the trunk up and they are shocked it's only a single 10.

Good luck.

aarontrini85 10-14-2005 12:37 PM

the jackhammer is a pos it takes to long to flex so its not relay good for spl or for sq its more just to show off

but depending on how mutch you have to spend and what you want

jl w6 is almost as good as the w7 and is a decent amount cheaper

also a sound stream tarantula is cheap as hell and we have a 10" out hitting a 12" kicker solo x so you know they can hit

if you want more recomendations i can make a huge list if you want

but more importantly why has this not been moved yet??? come on mods get with the program lol or ummmm :lalala: make me a mod and ill move it :lalala:

06tCguy 10-14-2005 12:42 PM

why isn't this in ICE?

aarontrini85 10-14-2005 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 06tCguy
why isn't this in ICE?

hey i said that first :P

ikhonlord 10-14-2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by aarontrini85

Originally Posted by 06tCguy
why isn't this in ICE?

hey i said that first :P

Remember..you can always hit that little "Warning" button on the top right corner of your post and let us know! :wink:

Thanks!

jallamas 10-14-2005 01:02 PM

:come: REMEMBER, the mods are watching!!!! :silly:

nswafford 10-14-2005 01:56 PM

I just did some audio work on my xB and I am a complete noob.
Here are my specs.

Alpine CDA-9853
Diamond Audio D3400.4
Stock door speakers.

250watt bazooka amp that I bought on ebay for $21.
10" dual voice coil bazooka tube in back.

Sounds awesome. I keep the sub setting on 5 of 15 and get PLENTY of thump. I was going to change my stock speakers but they sound really good. They were just underpowered.

Again I am just a noob but I spent about $600 and have a great sounding car.

jallamas 10-14-2005 03:00 PM

:bow: cool!^^^^^^

rolstc 10-14-2005 03:39 PM

i got 2 12" p3 RF subs with 1 6001bp mono amp. And im really happy.

Serialk1llr 10-14-2005 04:15 PM

I'll be rocking a JL 12w3v2 D$ in my tC, pushed by a 350wRMS at 4ohm Kicker amp (wanted the JL 500/1 mono, but alas, couldn't find a steal). Should be more than enough to rock the base and have fun. Not competition fun, but loud enough for most people.

R2D2 10-14-2005 04:31 PM

JL i would say a probably one of the top ones for subs, however I think for the most bang for the buck, I myself would go with Kicker Solo Baric...
Now the question is whats the best amp to power these subs? :ponder:

lil_will 10-14-2005 04:45 PM

Right now Im running with the Resonant Engineering XXX. This is by far the best sub I have ever heard (and yes I have heard the 13W7). Just remember that whatever you decide on pay attention to your install. You can make a crappy sub sound awesome with the right install and you can make a great woofer sound like crap with the wrong install!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/525314/3

Kremtok 10-14-2005 05:02 PM

After listening to a few setups at some stereo shops, I decided on a single 10" Boston G5 powered by a JL 500/1. My goal was superb accuracy with an overall effect of 'felt not heard.'

yellot00tr 10-14-2005 05:17 PM

i just put in a diamond audio d6 10". the thing sounds great. it's 500w rms and 1000w peak. my amp is pushing about 460w rms. the thing sounds sweet-i'm getting ready to add 2 more of them into the trunk where the spare tire is.

djehouse 10-14-2005 05:50 PM

For Subs I like my Rockford P2 12's, haven't had a single issue and they sound great for the money(Made in Grand Rapids MI!!!). The rest of the system: Alpine CDA 9855 w/Sirius-Soundstream xta 600.5-Boston Acoustics Pro60's in front-no rears at all right now.

swartzy999 10-14-2005 06:04 PM

rockford all the way... do the P-3 12'' or the T-2 12''..two of em.... with the 1000 watt rockford amp..i use two but thats up to u..
-i won in a sound off with all rockford sh#t and blew j/l, kicker, hi-fonic etc.. out of the water...
---good luck and i hope u have a few bux to spend

shawn30 10-14-2005 06:09 PM

anyone hear know the alpine type x sounds? i've heard great things about the sub but never actually heard the sub. I'm looking to run and audiobahn amp with about 1000 RMS and a 1 farad cap.

SFScionGuy 10-14-2005 06:09 PM

alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of ____. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you ____ at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their ___. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.

Big_Vdub 10-14-2005 06:17 PM

Hey I just put a system in my xb. i used all Diamond Audio speakers and amps. It is very loud and very clear

MTcX 10-14-2005 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by SFScionGuy
alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of poop. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you poop at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their butt. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.

I wouldn't talk about something you don't completely know about. The Jackhammer wasn't designed for everybody......so if you have to finance your house to get it then it probably wasn't meant for you. I have put the FAS for the sub into BassBox pro and it performs awesome, it can be used for SQ AND SPL in the same enclosure. The MTX 9500 WILL beat the JL W7, if you don't believe me then check the link below to see testing done showing the voltage that both subs are able to handle the the 9500 keeps going past the time that the W7 blew up.

http://www.mtx.com/smoked/index.cfm

-Keith- 10-14-2005 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MTcX

alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of poop. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you poop at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their butt. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.

I wouldn't talk about something you don't completely know about. The Jackhammer wasn't designed for everybody......so if you have to finance your house to get it then it probably wasn't meant for you. I have put the FAS for the sub into BassBox pro and it performs awesome, it can be used for SQ AND SPL in the same enclosure. The MTX 9500 WILL beat the JL W7, if you don't believe me then check the link below to see testing done showing the voltage that both subs are able to handle the the 9500 keeps going past the time that the W7 blew up.

What a sub can handle does not mean it will produce.... I mean you can go buy a POS sub that handles 2000 watts. But Only hits a max of 100 db. Compared to another sub that takes 1000watts and can produce 120db. This is just an example...

I sell concept and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Best thing about them is they do audio and visual now... http://www.conceptconcept.com

SCI_TC_GUY 10-14-2005 06:39 PM

...Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W...

subs don't put out any watts....they can handle a certain amount RMS wattage and peak at a certain wattage...

My setup hit 130dB with two 12s...

in a budget competition, I had a $250 setup consisting of a Fosgate 12" Punch HX2 and a sony xplod 1000watt amp hit 150.4dB in a first gen eclipse....

I'm not trying to pick on ya.....I've personally never heard of earthquake, and I'm not dogging them cause I've never heard them perform....

on a side note: Kickers are good subs for spl, but the sound quality from them is that of hammerd §hit.... JL is a great all around brand...Fosgate is a pretty good brand...some of their stuff is better than others....Elemental Design is a great brand....Eclipse is a good brand.... Alpine is good in respect to their higher end stuff....but their budget products suck IMO....some other brands to look into are:

MTX, Boston, Resonant Engineering(very good), Image Dynamics(also very good), Adire Audio (possibly one of the best SQ IMO)

if I were you, I'd stay away from pioneer, clarion, sony, kenwood.... basically, just listen to as many subs you can find and make your own decision.......

CXT 10-14-2005 07:06 PM

anybody know anything about those really thin Blaupunkt subs?

SFScionGuy 10-14-2005 07:16 PM

i never compared the mtx vs the JLs. I just mentioned them saying they are good and loud, etc. I didnt say for him to buy a jackhammer or a holy ____, I was just mentioning that because someone else mentioned it and I was just saying that the holy ____s beats them. Thats all. I understand the wattage, I meant that it can handle 10k W, but it will beat it out anyways. They made the first appearance at Extreme AutoFest and I know the guys at earthquake, one of the techs carlos already set it up and it hit 180, so yeah the jackhammer gets owned.

mandos 10-14-2005 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by CXT
anybody know anything about those really thin Blaupunkt subs?

Not bad, quite spendy though for a 10. If you don't absolutely need the space, spend less and get something bigger.

And for a blind test done on quite a few of the "Super Woofer" 12's, go here:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=14

W7 is the all out winner in SQ. And no, no one listening had ANY idea what the speaker in the car was. They just sat in the drivers seat and drivers were swapped out. People wrote notes on each driver, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Clear winner in listening was a W7.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=15

Lists the sealed and vented placings.

Just thought you'd like to see it :)

WiCkEd_TrInI 10-14-2005 07:24 PM

Mmats is the best but also very expensive. 1 15 inch will shut up anyone, my friend got one. its like damn

SCI_TC_GUY 10-14-2005 07:25 PM

^^ awesome read chris!!!

mandos 10-14-2005 07:26 PM

There really is no "best" when looking at subs.

There's a "best for the application" and a "best for the person" but no "best" If there were, only one company would exist and everyone would use their products.

Some people don't like the W7...so technically my last post is incorrect. While on average it rated higher than any other subs tested, not everyone thought it sounded the best.

Kilo6_one 10-14-2005 07:33 PM

allumapro, or focal are good.

haibane 10-14-2005 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MTcX

So let me get this straight... the voltage you feed something determines the quality of the woofer? For some reason I thought more efficent subs put out louder numbers. Also apparently more power causes for better quality? I don't think so. I highly doubt you could find a front stage to make that remotely blend. All the MTX 9500s I have heard sound horrible. I was listening to one the other day playing some rock music and it all sounded like one long bass line. Most other subs even poorly made ones do a better job of seperation. This is obviously a sub that is made purely for SPL. The w7 is not meant to compare to SPL subs, yes it can keep up and beat some of the SPL subs out there, but this sub is more oriented on SQ. It is clearly obvious it has a better sound.

FYI the Jackhammer is a totally pointless subwoofer. I have yet to see one make it to IASCA finals. There are plenty more cost efficent woofers that can produce much louder numbers. I believe last I checked Pioneer owned the world record, but that has probably changed. I don't think I even saw MTX at the finals last year. Oh that is right RE was the headliner next to JBL at the finals. MTX is a mainstream product. It is made to sell based on advertising. They are not cost effective and they are not sound quality woofers. When MTX trys to make a sound quality sub that compares to the idmax, the 0v2, the O, lotus 12, ARC audio 12, and even the A plus many more I will start to look at them as a decent company.

jallamas 10-14-2005 09:43 PM

Nice info Chris!

John

foreverandaminute 10-20-2005 04:48 PM

what's the difference between having two 10s and a single 12?

mandos 10-20-2005 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by RIPMKIV
what's the difference between having two 10s and a single 12?

Realistically, it's normally going to come down to box shape. Otherwise 2 10's will be pretty damn close to 1 12 in real world applications.

SCI_TC_GUY 10-20-2005 05:44 PM

^^^I agree......I'd also say that two good 8's in the right box will be as good or better as well....depending on your music style and whatnot....

Hmmm....gives me an idea for 2 8w7's......