Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Best Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

For Subs I like my Rockford P2 12's, haven't had a single issue and they sound great for the money(Made in Grand Rapids MI!!!). The rest of the system: Alpine CDA 9855 w/Sirius-Soundstream xta 600.5-Boston Acoustics Pro60's in front-no rears at all right now.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

rockford all the way... do the P-3 12'' or the T-2 12''..two of em.... with the 1000 watt rockford amp..i use two but thats up to u..
-i won in a sound off with all rockford sh#t and blew j/l, kicker, hi-fonic etc.. out of the water...
---good luck and i hope u have a few bux to spend
Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone hear know the alpine type x sounds? i've heard great things about the sub but never actually heard the sub. I'm looking to run and audiobahn amp with about 1000 RMS and a 1 farad cap.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of ____. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you ____ at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their ___. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey I just put a system in my xb. i used all Diamond Audio speakers and amps. It is very loud and very clear
Old 10-14-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFScionGuy
alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of poop. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you poop at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their butt. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.

I wouldn't talk about something you don't completely know about. The Jackhammer wasn't designed for everybody......so if you have to finance your house to get it then it probably wasn't meant for you. I have put the FAS for the sub into BassBox pro and it performs awesome, it can be used for SQ AND SPL in the same enclosure. The MTX 9500 WILL beat the JL W7, if you don't believe me then check the link below to see testing done showing the voltage that both subs are able to handle the the 9500 keeps going past the time that the W7 blew up.

http://www.mtx.com/smoked/index.cfm
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MTcX
alright, JL's are good, they dome hella loud. The jackhammer is ok, but it's trash. The weight is ridiculous and power it puts out with that is weak. The best Subwoofers in SPL are Earthquake. They win every competition in SPL. The JLs, Alpines, MTXs, none of them even qualify to goto finals against Earthquake. I mean, they are all loud, but if you want, sound, spl, and quality, go with them. Against the jackhammer in the other case, Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W. It's a 15 inch sub, but technically is 17".... Compared to the weight, watts and quality of the jackhammer.. .the jackhammer is a piece of poop. MTX are known to be quite ___ in the long run anyways. But, if you want good subs I'm sponsored by them and can get you poop at cost. My setup hit 130dB with two 12s. That's not even the highest 12' subs you can get, mine are dbX. the ones above me are magma, bawls, subzero. If you want something like JLs, earthquake made the Tremors specifically for the JL series, they kick their butt. The holy____s were made to just kill everyone else. Earthquake is the best, they hold the world records in spl and I back them 100% obviously, they are headquarter locally here in the bay area, hayward ca.

I wouldn't talk about something you don't completely know about. The Jackhammer wasn't designed for everybody......so if you have to finance your house to get it then it probably wasn't meant for you. I have put the FAS for the sub into BassBox pro and it performs awesome, it can be used for SQ AND SPL in the same enclosure. The MTX 9500 WILL beat the JL W7, if you don't believe me then check the link below to see testing done showing the voltage that both subs are able to handle the the 9500 keeps going past the time that the W7 blew up.

What a sub can handle does not mean it will produce.... I mean you can go buy a POS sub that handles 2000 watts. But Only hits a max of 100 db. Compared to another sub that takes 1000watts and can produce 120db. This is just an example...

I sell concept and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Best thing about them is they do audio and visual now... http://www.conceptconcept.com
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...Earthquake has a sub called the Holy ____s, and that is only 100lbs and puts out 10,000W...
subs don't put out any watts....they can handle a certain amount RMS wattage and peak at a certain wattage...

My setup hit 130dB with two 12s...
in a budget competition, I had a $250 setup consisting of a Fosgate 12" Punch HX2 and a sony xplod 1000watt amp hit 150.4dB in a first gen eclipse....

I'm not trying to pick on ya.....I've personally never heard of earthquake, and I'm not ******* them cause I've never heard them perform....

on a side note: Kickers are good subs for spl, but the sound quality from them is that of hammerd §hit.... JL is a great all around brand...Fosgate is a pretty good brand...some of their stuff is better than others....Elemental Design is a great brand....Eclipse is a good brand.... Alpine is good in respect to their higher end stuff....but their budget products suck IMO....some other brands to look into are:

MTX, Boston, Resonant Engineering(very good), Image Dynamics(also very good), Adire Audio (possibly one of the best SQ IMO)

if I were you, I'd stay away from pioneer, clarion, sony, kenwood.... basically, just listen to as many subs you can find and make your own decision.......
Old 10-14-2005, 07:06 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

anybody know anything about those really thin Blaupunkt subs?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never compared the mtx vs the JLs. I just mentioned them saying they are good and loud, etc. I didnt say for him to buy a jackhammer or a holy ____, I was just mentioning that because someone else mentioned it and I was just saying that the holy ____s beats them. Thats all. I understand the wattage, I meant that it can handle 10k W, but it will beat it out anyways. They made the first appearance at Extreme AutoFest and I know the guys at earthquake, one of the techs carlos already set it up and it hit 180, so yeah the jackhammer gets owned.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by CXT
anybody know anything about those really thin Blaupunkt subs?
Not bad, quite spendy though for a 10. If you don't absolutely need the space, spend less and get something bigger.

And for a blind test done on quite a few of the "Super Woofer" 12's, go here:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=14

W7 is the all out winner in SQ. And no, no one listening had ANY idea what the speaker in the car was. They just sat in the drivers seat and drivers were swapped out. People wrote notes on each driver, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Clear winner in listening was a W7.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=15

Lists the sealed and vented placings.

Just thought you'd like to see it
Old 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mmats is the best but also very expensive. 1 15 inch will shut up anyone, my friend got one. its like damn
Old 10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ awesome read chris!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

There really is no "best" when looking at subs.

There's a "best for the application" and a "best for the person" but no "best" If there were, only one company would exist and everyone would use their products.

Some people don't like the W7...so technically my last post is incorrect. While on average it rated higher than any other subs tested, not everyone thought it sounded the best.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

allumapro, or focal are good.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MTcX

So let me get this straight... the voltage you feed something determines the quality of the woofer? For some reason I thought more efficent subs put out louder numbers. Also apparently more power causes for better quality? I don't think so. I highly doubt you could find a front stage to make that remotely blend. All the MTX 9500s I have heard sound horrible. I was listening to one the other day playing some rock music and it all sounded like one long bass line. Most other subs even poorly made ones do a better job of seperation. This is obviously a sub that is made purely for SPL. The w7 is not meant to compare to SPL subs, yes it can keep up and beat some of the SPL subs out there, but this sub is more oriented on SQ. It is clearly obvious it has a better sound.

FYI the Jackhammer is a totally pointless subwoofer. I have yet to see one make it to IASCA finals. There are plenty more cost efficent woofers that can produce much louder numbers. I believe last I checked Pioneer owned the world record, but that has probably changed. I don't think I even saw MTX at the finals last year. Oh that is right RE was the headliner next to JBL at the finals. MTX is a mainstream product. It is made to sell based on advertising. They are not cost effective and they are not sound quality woofers. When MTX trys to make a sound quality sub that compares to the idmax, the 0v2, the O, lotus 12, ARC audio 12, and even the A plus many more I will start to look at them as a decent company.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info Chris!

John
Old 10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

what's the difference between having two 10s and a single 12?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by RIPMKIV
what's the difference between having two 10s and a single 12?
Realistically, it's normally going to come down to box shape. Otherwise 2 10's will be pretty damn close to 1 12 in real world applications.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^I agree......I'd also say that two good 8's in the right box will be as good or better as well....depending on your music style and whatnot....

Hmmm....gives me an idea for 2 8w7's......

Quick Reply: Best Subwoofers