Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

CarPC questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default CarPC questions

I have a thread going on Mp3car.com but some of these questions are specific to the tC so I figured I would ask both here and there.

I have $700 to spend for a CarPC for christmas thanks to my girlfriend. I want to get highquality components but know that I'm on a budget.

My master plan for this CarPC will be: Mp3's, GPS Nav, DVD's, Wireless internet, OBD-II, video capture, and games (i know I cant play doom3, just emulator and stuff). I know with the cash I have I will have to hold off on the GPS, OBD, video and wireless internet until I get more money, but I need to plan for it now so I don't get anything wrong.

I currently have the stock HU in the car, but I have an older Eclipse 5423 HU that I was thinking of installing. What I was thinking was (again I'm on a budget and already have the HU so I figured this route will be cheaper than getting an amp) if I mount the Eclipse slightly recessed into the HU spot I can mount the LCD in front of it. I'm pretty sure that the eclipse can connect to the stearing wheel controls (can anyone confirm this?) and it has an Aux in port just like the stock HU has (but with a lot higher sound quality and 3 amp outs).

With that said, I do plan on upgrading to component speakers at some point and having them on an AMP, would it be easier to get a cheap 4 ch amp now and bypass the HU, or go this route and later get an expensive AMP and run it from the HU (again the HU has 3 amp outs).

I havn't yet decided on which screen to get. It is my understanding that the Xenarc is a much higher quality (if only in construction) unit than the Lilliput, but at a higher cost.

I'm also undecided on the mobo/cpu to get. When I last looked into doing a Car PC the M1000 was the new king, now there is a 15000. For what I want to do would anyone recommend one board over another? Again, while price is a concern I dont want to end up not having either enough processing power, or not have the ability do add a feature down the road.

I have a DVD drive already. I was thinking of mounting that in the glove box with the computer mounted under the passanger seat. It would be easy to run all of the cables through the center console area.

Depending on the mobo/cpu I would think either the M1 or M2 would be fine for the power requirements. I was wondering how the DVD drive would be powered?

Also, I have a Sirius One (lowend cheap) satalite reciever. It has an FM transmitter, but its rather crappy. It also has an audio out. Since the Aux in on the HU would be taken up by the computer I wondered if the mic/aux in on the computer would be adaquet for good reception? Or would it be better to have some kind of splitter coming into the Aux in on the HU.

I know I will have more questions later, I just can't think of them currently. Thanks for any help/recommendations.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm in the exact same situation.. good luck.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the lilliput, the xenarc is harder to mount behind the radio cover...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
MN Scions

The mobo I got has a Via C7 processor on it. Very low power and darn efficient for media-based applications.

Link to it on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153048

The guy with the review on Newegg that said 700MHz didn't know what he was talking about. It has a 1.5GHz processor.

I have not completed my CarPC but I did quite a bit of research before purchasing the motherboard. If you wanted to do any game system emulation, you will have difficulty if you use the onboard graphics, that is, unless you were talking about MAME.