Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cig Lighter Bass Level Control Mod (instructions and pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cig Lighter Bass Level Control Mod (instructions and pics)

NOTE: I edited this first post to include the pics and step by step so a couple of replies made after this post might not seem to fit.

This mod turns your cigarette lighter into a remote bass level control. The interior is not changed but you do lose the use of the lighter... as a lighter. I don't smoke so I needed a use for it anyway. This process, using the LC-1 control, requires no drilling or cutting to your TC.

I used the PAC LC-1 Remote Level Control. Cost is $14 and it fits inline between the RCA sub outputs on your Head Unit and then to the RCA cables that go to your AMP. There is no power connection required for the LC-1.

In addition you will need a short RCA cord with male connectors on each end and small piece of adhesive backed velcro (hook and loop side).

1. Remove the adjustment **** from the LC-1 to reveal the retaining nut and washer. Remove the nut and washer. Set ****, washer and nut aside.. you will need them later.

2. Take a flat head screwdriver and pry the plastic front off the plastic case. Its easy to see the seam and it comes off very easy. You can discard this part.

3. You will need to enlarge the hole on the back of the plastic case so the RCA plugs can be fed through and you can discard the box. I removed the grommet simply by tearing it and then used needle nose to break the plastic and enlarge the hole.

4.The electronics can now be removed from the plastic case and come out as one unit. Put the nut and **** back on so you don't lose them.

5. Remove the section of the console in which the lighter is mounted.

6. Unplug the power cable from the lighter so you can work with the piece outside the car.

7. Look at the underside of the lighter housing. Remove the black sleeve. You will also see a small nut on the bottom. Remove this nut and the contacts, which will now be loose. You can put all these remove pieces in a baggy if you plan on converting back later.

8. Remove the lighter from the front so you can see down inside the lighter assembly housing. You will see a hole at the bottom where you just removed the items in step 8.

9. Insert the shaft of the LC-1 up into the hole from which you removed the nut and contacts in step 8.

10. Holding the LC-1 in place, take the washer and nut from step 2 and install them over the LC-1 shaft inside the housing. You may have to use some needle nose to put them on. You can reach then through the side of the lighter housing to run then down most of the way. Before tightening completely, align the circuit board of the LC-1 so that is sits against the black plastic flashing on the bottom of the lighter. Now tighten down with needle nose from the top.

11. Get some Velcro with adhesive backing and cut a piece to fit directly on top of the LC-1 **** and stick it in place.

12. Take the **** and drop it down into the lighter and push it into place on the shaft.

13. Using the other side of the Velcro, cut a piece that will fit on the end of the actual lighter and then stick it into place on the end of the lighter.

14. Insert the lighter into the housing and the velcro makes a connection between the lighter and LC-1 **** so you now control the bass through the lighter.

15. Use the short RCA cable and connect one end to the sub output on the head unit. Connect the other end to the input cable on the LC-1.

16. Connect the RCA cable that runs from your sub to the output cable on the LC-1.

17. Pop the console piece back into place and enjoy.

This is the guts from the LC-1plastic case. The silver part of the lighter was not cut or drilled. I just removed the contacts from the bottom of the lighter housing, which was held in by a nut. As long as you keep those parts, reversing the procedure is as simple as the mod itself. The LC-1 went right back into the hole from which I removed the contacts and the nut goes in from the other side to fasten it.

You can see the LC-1 **** inside the silver lighter housing. I cut a piece of adhesive back velcro so it fit on top of the ****. I did the same for the bottom of the lighter, where the coils are, using the other piece of velcro. You can pull the lighter out , stick back in, and it will go back to controlling the bass.

Final installed mod.

The goop you see on the board is that way when you take the guts out of the LC-1. You can wrap that area with tape but its actually guarded quite well by the stock black flash plate on the lighter assembly. The modded assembly is also clear of hitting anything stock once you snap the console back into place.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

please post pics!!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will have pics later this evening.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quit teasing!
I've seen this done before but I'm always interested to see if something's been done a different way.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought about this since i am doing a complete stealth install, but i figure i can just put it someone most people wont see.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have mine installed nicely i think...its not really stealth, but you cant notice it is there unless u deliberately look for it.

its in the cubby hole, sorry for the bad picture, it was the only one i had on hand.

all i have to do is color in the yellow 2 sided tape to black, and then it matches perfect

btw sorry for the thread jack lol

Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pics

Instructions and photos moved to the first post.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh cool, that's neat.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics moved to top
Old 08-04-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job. Very nice.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
Good job. Very nice.
Thanks..
What I like about this mod is no drilling, cutting, screwing into any part of the car, etc and other than the velcro and rca patch cord, there is no other hardware needed.... and of course completely reversible without buying anything.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like that idea, its a very "under the radar/in disguise" idea