Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

In-Dash Navigation/Stereo + iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 AM

Default In-Dash Navigation/Stereo + iPhone

So I've been trying to do a little research and can't find anything definitive, but here's the setup:

I have a scion tC 2005 with the base double-din stereo with 6-disc CD changer. I'm looking to replace it with a double-din touchscreen that does gps/traffic (which I know requires satellite for now, which I didn't have added when I got mine), but also integrates with an iPhone for music. I'm not interested in CD support in the deck so much anymore, as I'm basically pure digital as far as music goes these days.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at the AVICs and all that and some of the new decks that have been announced at CES, but was hoping to hear some ideas from people who've done something similar as to what works and what doesn't (for example, does the sliding lid still close with most aftermarket double-dins? how well does it work to get the satellite stuff installed aftermarket? general tips or ideas, etc.).

Hopefully this is enough info to have my question(s) make sense.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 AM
SL Member

there are systems which meet all your requirements, just do some shopping around I'm sure you'll find something. i dont recommend using an ipod if you don't have steering wheel controls =(

so what i would do is buy a gps system that can store mp3s.

2c.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the avic d3, works well with iPhone, have personally used it. If you have the bluetooth kit, u can answer the phone when u get a call right on ur head unit, and u can play music off the iphone too
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
SL Member

I have an AVIC-N3 hooked up to my system with the iPod kit. It's also connected to the steering wheel controls with PAC SWI-PS. I have an iPod Photo connected to it at all times, but I've also tried the kit with my iPod Touch and it works the same way; I'm sure it'll work for your iPhone as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 PM

And you could still close the sliding door over the N3 or D3? I've also heard a few things about the D3 or Z1 not working while in motion, like not even being able to reroute the GPS to a new destination without having to pull over and hit the parking brake. Anyone know if that is true?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 AM
SL Member

I removed the sliding door on my tC; the N3 screen does a cool little slide out and flip when you switch on the car. But I'm sure you can hack it a little so that the door still works.