Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Headliner wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default Headliner wrap?

I'm trying to wrap my headliner. Does anyone know how difficult this may be?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wrap it in what? Another felt fabric or something? Should be self explanatory. Pull it out, wrap it, staple it, adhesive, whatever, and make sure it's tight and put it back in.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be doing mine in about 3 weeks. will keep you posted...
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member

Well, after getting impatient and being unable to find a good review. I sacked up, and started pulling ____. While working full time and going to school, i had been able to get this all done in two days. No, i didn't take photos of the step-by-step. Unfortunately. But i did a velvet headliner and a pretty good pattern for the a-pillars, b-pillars, and door inserts. I did this ALL alone, while using 3m 90 spray adhesive and about $35 in fabric. Get good sewing scissors is my main tip. I had never done this, and ended up with no sags, no wrinkles, no flaws. It's a much overrated process as everyone acts like its the hardest thing in the world. Started my headliner at 7:30, with breaks finished at 11. That includes pulling and reinstalling. I have photos on instagram at @blackjackmon. Ask me some questions and i'll gladly answer for yall.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM

saw your pictures on instagram and it looks sick man. planning on doing mine sunday. have a few questions though. how did you do the sun roof cut out and get the damn a pillers off. how much fabric did you buy did you just recover over old stuff. I know its a lot. the pervious owner smoked in the car and burned the hell out of the headliner and pillers and its driving me nuts. thanks for your help!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The a pillars are a pain. They have a pin towards the top closer to your head. Use a prying tool and pull straight out it will be hard as well. Once u pop them out and you can see the head of the pin use the tool to remove completely. The bottom part of the a pillar has like indentations that just sits on a groove. My pillars have airbags and I had no issues. Im a heavy dude n it took all my might to remove them so pull hard
Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also the trick to remove the handles on the headliner the grab handles is to squeez the caps with a set of pliers. Put blue tape on the pliers to not damage the clip. Besides that it should be somewhat straight forward. I removed mine about 1 month ago still stitting around so if you need pics of the roof without the liner lmk
Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

B pillars come off better if u remove the bottom section the rear cup holder section I removed the back lower seat n it was cake
Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM

thanks for the response man. some pictures would be great. so should I just recover whats on there or remove the old fabric? I was going to just plasti dip the a pillars bc there the worst. im going in a little to look at fabric and plan on doing sunday il make sure I take a lot of pictures
Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not cover the old fabic. Remove the fabric, remove the foam remnants on the headliner backing with your hand, apply your adhesive fabric afterwards.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM

There is no foam so to speak.. you all know how the headliner in these are. I just got back from buying the fabric cost me 30 bucks for the fabric. My only worrie is the sunew roof cut outs so if any one has done this before maybe has some pictures of them doing the sun roof or can discribe how they did it I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually there is a foam backing. Haven't done a liner in tC1, but have done many others. Usually I cut the new fabric flush with the edge of the sunroof opening. There should be a trim piece to go around all the edges to clean up the look
Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no foam on the tc headliner. Thus why its so noisy in the cabin. Flint is correct around the edges the trim pieces will hide the edges of the new fabric. Around the sun roof u can fold over lip since the sun visor will sround it if that makes sense. ..
Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Foam I mean like 1/4 " thick or more. But from what I know most people do the headliner by gluing ontop of the existing liner.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 AM

So pretty much just recover the old stuff then ? Also does anyone know of someone selling a driver seat? The old one is all kinds of jacked up. Cant really complain I only paid 700 bucks for the car w 90k on it and a brand new clutch