Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help me plan my tc RS2 System / Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Help me plan my tc RS2 System / Install

So I've got a 2006 Scion tc RS2 (with factory amp/subwoofer). This car is great - but after 3 years it's time to upgrade the system.

What I want to do is:
- Install new head unit (GPS Nav unit)
- Possibly / Likely New Front Speakers
- Possibly / Likely New Rear Speakers
- Maintain Steering Wheel Controls
- Add Bluetooth Phone Capability with speaker mute (I imagine this is just built into the head unit)
- XM Radio and iPOD

I've been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT at Crutchfield. I am sure I can find a better price but you can't beat the research/information at Crutchfield.

It comes with the following "free":
- Rear Camera
- In Dash Receiver Kit
- Wiring Harness

So here are the questions:
1. Can I install the head unit and keep the factory sub and amp combo or do I need to rip *everything* out and start from scratch. I know it'll probably sound better if I do the whole thing (and add dynamat, and add this and add that) but do I need to?
2. What else do I need for the install? Any wiring harnesses, extra bits, changes to existing wiring, etc??
3. What are recommended speakers for the front/rear
4. Can I use the same XM antenna with the Pioneer unit (I like the placement of the little XM antenna)

THANKS!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ungarod
I know it'll probably sound better if I do the whole thing (and add dynamat, and add this and add that) but do I need to?
I quoted only that part, because it seems like the best place to start.

It's obvious you want Nav & Bluetooth, which can be accomplished with a new HU, so that part of you plan is fine.

Beyond those additional features, what are your goals for the system? Have you been happy with the performance (SQ & SPL) of what you've had for the last 3 years? If so, then just upgrade the HU and be done with it. If not, then what aspects would you like to improve? How much time, effort & expense are you willing to put into it?

It's really good to see people plan a system before making any purchases. You might need nothing more than a new HU, but the goals for the system need to be decided, then the requirements to accomplish it can be determined.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nodsetse
I quoted only that part, because it seems like the best place to start.

It's obvious you want Nav & Bluetooth, which can be accomplished with a new HU, so that part of you plan is fine.

Beyond those additional features, what are your goals for the system? Have you been happy with the performance (SQ & SPL) of what you've had for the last 3 years? If so, then just upgrade the HU and be done with it. If not, then what aspects would you like to improve? How much time, effort & expense are you willing to put into it?

It's really good to see people plan a system before making any purchases. You might need nothing more than a new HU, but the goals for the system need to be decided, then the requirements to accomplish it can be determined.
So honestly I am happy with the way it sounds now. Sure it can be better - but I am not an audiophile. I like the ipod connectivity but really hate the separate GPS and having Bluetooth would be a huge plus. Other than that - I think I am happy.

Now it may be time to replace the fronts at some point - just for wear/tear not for sound quality. But perhaps just the HU is my best route right now.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if you already have a subwoofer then a hu upgrade will realize the best sound quality gains for the money spent. please be more specific about what kind of music that you listen to and your budget.

1. Can I install the head unit and keep the factory sub and amp combo or do I need to rip *everything* out and start from scratch. I know it'll probably sound better if I do the whole thing (and add dynamat, and add this and add that) but do I need to?

theoretically you can install a new head unit while keeping the factory sub and integrated amp combo. however, in practice the factory amp tends to blow out or is otherwise incompatible with anything other than the factory head unit. which factory sub do you have? the bazooka vse subwoofer enclosure can accomodate 10 inch jl and alpine subwoofers. a $5 pipe plug can seal the port.

2. What else do I need for the install? Any wiring harnesses, extra bits, changes to existing wiring, etc??

it really depends on how what head unit, speaker and subwoofer choices you make. worry about the components of your system first, then worry about the accessories. speakers and subs with higher power requirements make new wiring and possibly amplifiers necessary.

eclipse head units work with scion steering wheel controls without any adapters or harnesses required. this probably has something to do with the fact that toyota owns a part of fujitsu-ten, the makers of eclipse.

this really depends on what kind of music that you listen to. everyone has his or her own favorite brand and will swear by them. but there are some clear differences when it comes to the type of music you listen to. for example, mb quarts in general tend to produce clean lows and work well with bassy music. infinity in general is fairly good all around but isn't excellent in any area.

you'll want a set of good component speakers up front and don't bother upgrading the rear speakers.

4. Can I use the same XM antenna with the Pioneer unit (I like the placement of the little XM antenna)

i don't have xm, i have an old sirius receiver from 2006. when i upgraded my head unit it was a simple plug and play, assuming your new head unit is xm/sirius ready.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's fine that you're satisfied with the current system's sound, that way you won't have to spend a lot on the upgrade to get what you want.

There have been lots of threads on HUs with features that meet your requirements (if you want to search), and there should be several people here who can suggest specific models and know how to integrate them with the steering wheel controls, iPod & XM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks all. I really like the Pioneer but I am going to go look and see what some others look like.

As for types of music. Country, Rock and Roll mostly. So a broad spectrum of music really but no thump-thump club music.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jobunaga
if you already have a subwoofer then a hu upgrade will realize the best sound quality gains for the money spent. please be more specific about what kind of music that you listen to and your budget.

theoretically you can install a new head unit while keeping the factory sub and integrated amp combo. however, in practice the factory amp tends to blow out or is otherwise incompatible with anything other than the factory head unit. which factory sub do you have? the bazooka vse subwoofer enclosure can accomodate 10 inch jl and alpine subwoofers. a $5 pipe plug can seal the port.

it really depends on how what head unit, speaker and subwoofer choices you make. worry about the components of your system first, then worry about the accessories. speakers and subs with higher power requirements make new wiring and possibly amplifiers necessary.

eclipse head units work with scion steering wheel controls without any adapters or harnesses required. this probably has something to do with the fact that toyota owns a part of fujitsu-ten, the makers of eclipse.

this really depends on what kind of music that you listen to. everyone has his or her own favorite brand and will swear by them. but there are some clear differences when it comes to the type of music you listen to. for example, mb quarts in general tend to produce clean lows and work well with bassy music. infinity in general is fairly good all around but isn't excellent in any area.

you'll want a set of good component speakers up front and don't bother upgrading the rear speakers.

i don't have xm, i have an old sirius receiver from 2006. when i upgraded my head unit it was a simple plug and play, assuming your new head unit is xm/sirius ready.

Great post - thanks!

You say the factory amp tends to blow and/or the subwoofers. I don't know which one I have - whatever came with my RS2 This sounds like I need to replace the whole system then which could easily double the cost of the project.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ungarod
This sounds like I need to replace the whole system then which could easily double the cost of the project.
No, you don't need to replace everything if you're pleased with the way it sounds now, just do the HU so you can have the additional features you want. If it's lasted you 3 years and you've been happy with it, there's no need to fix it if it's not broken.