Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Here is the simple HACK / CRACK for the 2008 NAV Motion lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta big mouth, what can I say... Question, why hasn't this been made a tech. It's something that people are looking for and just because it's simple doesn't mean it doesn't belong there.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 AM
SL Member

I don't wanna sound dumb (ignorant could describe it) but what is this for exactly? Do the 08's come with a nav option?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yes... there's an option.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
SL Member

Yeah sweet post man..that is awesome!! I'm pretty sure all navi systems are set up where you can't do certain things at certain times and yeah watching movies and driving...not good...but it does suck sometimes how you can't do some of the Ipod stuff
Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only two reasons I promote to do this are:

1. Even if you have a passenger in your car, you still can't change it. If they can detect someone is sitting there to activate the air bag, why can't the release the NAV system so the passenger can use it

2. I believe it's more dangerous (is that proper grammar?) to be driving on a highway and pulling over to the side of the road every time you want to change the playlist or to change a destination to an new POI or something of the sort. Now you will have to get in the right lane, hope the spot you picked to pull over doesn't have broken glass or trash on it, and then when you're done, you have a few seconds to get going ~70+ MPH to get up to speed with traffic....
Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 AM

Can you please post pictures of where i can find the wire and maybe a small tutorial on how to get to it?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Careful with the wire color!

I have done this and it worked fine for me. However, the wire color on my 08 XB was purple, not yellow. It was in the same location that you show in the diagram though. And for those of you who want to know, after cutting this wire and grounding the parking brake wire, the DVD plays whenever you want it to.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Default Easy to find

Originally Posted by helio-g
Can you please post pictures of where i can find the wire and maybe a small tutorial on how to get to it?
The wire I cut was from the harness pllugged into the back of the navigation unit. Just pull the harness with a bunch of blank pins and only a few wires. This is the one that goes to your steering wheel controls. Find the one that goes to the speedometer and cut it.
The diagram at the begining of this thread shows where it is. However, mine was purple instead of yellow.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM

So its behind the CD/DVD player console? Or is it Under it? How did you remove it? Can you post some pictures or detailed drawings?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look in scionlife.com/tech and you will find how to remove the radio. The harness containing the wire you want to cut is attached directly to the head unit.

Here, I did the work for you: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27719
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 PM

My sis just bought an '08 TC and wants me to do this for her. Do I need to make it a switch or just cut the wire? Is the only drawn back to not hooking up a switch the maitenance not working?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes that is the only draw back. a switch can be installed if you want - it will allow you to make the changes when you break the link and will keep the mileage and maintenance while it's a complete circuit.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Great, thank you for the info, I will hook up a switch to it so she doesn't complain about the maintenance not working. I think I will add Scion security system while I'm at it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's a whole different story - i'd research the system before you put it in. it doesn't seem to be well liked
Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 AM

Can anyone write a small tutorial with pictures of the 2008 tc with the NAVI system ,and not the stock radio, of were to find and cut the yellow wire?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you pull your radio out, look at the diagram I drew, you'll be able to figure it out very easily... there is only one harness with that many wires on it and that color as well. So just get your radio out and you'll be fine.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 AM

i slpiced the wire but i found it a really good idea to install a toggle switch, just so that way if you were ever to be pulled over for suspision of watching the screen while driving just simply hit the switch, also i found in my trials that after you disconnect the yellow wire the navigation part of your unit doesnt work, so this is also why i installed the toggle switch plus it looks pretty cool
Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 AM

i take that back it didnt work at first so i got a little scared since the nav upgrade is 2grand, like i was saying at first it didnt work so i got the idea to put in a toggle switch, but after i bought the switch and already had the idea rolling, my navigation started working again, but like i said, good idea to put one in, just so that if it ever cut out and you really needed it, you would be able to use it
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 PM

I just unpluged the whole plug now i can watch the dvds while in drive i just dont have steering wheel controls
Old 05-22-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess that's cool.... good work.

Quick Reply: Here is the simple HACK / CRACK for the 2008 NAV Motion lock