Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

L.E.D. Rod Help..!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default L.E.D. Rod Help..!?

Hey guys im new here and i just bought some LED rods.. i have no idea how to install them so i thought i would ask.. is there a site that i can go to that shows you how or anything..? these are the lights that i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-MILLIONS-COLOR...QQcmdZViewItem

it just has a red and black wire.. looks like speaker wire.. how would i go about installing these.. any help at all would be great.. Thank you..

Redsand
Old 06-06-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yea your on it...

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/?article=68
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

enjoy. the tech center is a beautiful thing. great photos and explanatons.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

thank you guys very much.. this is a big help!!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

Hey guys i wanted to know if i could get a little help here.. i went to all these places and asked around on how to install the new LED rods that i bought and no one knows or seems to want to help me.. so i thought i would ask on here.. now i have never done this before but i got my LED rods and on the end it has a red wire and a black one.. i know red is power and black is ground.. but i wanted to know if i needed to buy anything else so i can install these lights and i want them to turn on when i open my door and then stay on or can i get a switch..? how do i install these.. like what do i hook them up too..? i have never done this and i cant find a DIY tut on this.. please any help on this subject would be great.. thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

you will have to wire in a relay into the door switch (tells the car that the door is open) i believe its by the striker. go to www.bcae1.com to see how a relay works and how to set it up. after you figure it out its pretty easy to do.
you'll have to do one for each side or use one realy and have it trun on both lights.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for the info but you know what i was sitting here thinking about it and i just want them in.. i dont care when they turn on a stuff i just want them in.. what is the fastest and easiest way to get them in.. where do i connect the ground wire.. where is that at..? and where do i connect the red wire..? thank you..
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

use zip ties to attach them to something in the foot well and run a power wire to them. if you if you grab power from the battery then don't forget to fuse it. then just ground to the body. find any bolt that goes into metal.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member

im sorry but how do i fuse it.. it came with a red wire and a black wire.. i can just connect the black wire to a bolt that is attach to the body of my car..? thank you very much for the help so far!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

well, if i were doing it i would run a dedicated power suppily to the neons from the battery for 2 reasons:
1. so you don't put a load on anything else by tapping into it and
2. so you have a power suppily if you want to add more lights later on

everything you need can be found at Kragen.
1. run a 14-16ga power wire to the inside where you will be mounting a switch for the neons. you put the fuse on the power wire as close to the battery as possible. when you go to kragen just ask them for a fuse holder that has 14-16ga wires, get a spool of wire, some fuses (get the small box that has all different amprage ratings), a switch that you like, and some connectors that will fit the switch.

2. after you mount the switch and connect the power wire, mount your neons. after this find the ground wires for the neons and ground them to a nearby bolt that is attached to metal (ground). then run both + wires from the neons to the switch, look on the instructions for the switch and it will tell you what goes were.

don't forget to put a fuse in it, go with a 5A.
after that try them out, if they don't work you might have them ground right, find another spot.
LMK how it goes.