Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LIGHTS STILL DIM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl
Originally Posted by ACiDTc
serious suggestion for the OP, and from what ive read so far actual relavent information.

big 3 wont hurt, but you need some sort of extra support for your electrical system or your gonna toast your alternator

my opinion, toss the factory batt, and get a high capacity battery, be it an optima yellow top, or a kinetic hc 1800 in my opinion either of those will help support your current set up....and toss the cap

acidtc
Thanks for sharing your opinion, but you're wrong.

Imagine a cup of water is your OEM battery, and a pitcher is your "high capacity battery" (I think you mean: deep cycle). Your only method to get the liquid into your stomach is a straw. Do you really think the pitcher is going to be able to quench your thirst FASTER??? Keep in mind, I will (as the alternator) refill your cup as many times as you like, but I have other "customers" (electrical demands), and it might take me a while.

Clearly this is an issue of supply and demand. One's electrical system can only exceed the limitations of the alternator, for a duration of the battery's storage. When the load is in excess of this (rarely, if ever), compromises must be made. Lights will not have 100% illumination, etc. The first goal of anyone going beyond the OEM's design goals, is to aid what is already there by lowering resistance (re: big-3).

I'm not sure what you mean by "support" in terms of the alternator. It is the sole energy providing device! The larger battery makes NO difference with the LOAD of the system!

now, try and argue with that!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright so the OP should jsut do the Big3 and work form there if the issue continues

funny thing, i never disagreed to that, i was jsut thinking ahead
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^hey your name is almost like mine
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

AcidtC - did you honestly read this thread? How about the one that I linked earlier? I'm not the only one that has suggested what do to if the Big-3 isn't enough...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hey ACiDTc... you planning to give proper credit from that long post of yours with all that info... to the proper site you got it from?

mr. cut and paste?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
hey ACiDTc... you planning to give proper credit from that long post of yours with all that info... to the proper site you got it from?

mr. cut and paste?
i shall now repost some info from my favorite car audio site, realm of excursion hope thats ok with the OP

c&p start here

jsut when i roll over in defeat, and my reading skill are brough up this guys shows up

ok here
www.realmofexcursion.com/forums down in the electrical/charging system section its a sticky

i shall now continue to read this thread that i mistakenly chimed in to late on, as all avenues have been discussed and brought and a solution has been come to......i shall now watch for the OP to post

im sorry rocketgyrl ill go read that voltage drain post once more
Old 03-12-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

as per your sig, and i take it you have seen spl setups running of stock and even ho alts, what do the battery banks look like 2, 3, 4,5 batterys supporting te electrical system?

my help comes form exp as i do local spl comps and prior to my scion tc i had a 1986 firebird with an OEM alt that put out 80amps, did the big 3 and regrouned everything with 0gauge, and i would still dim like the dickens my amp draws atleast 50amps, leaving 30 for the clunker and its shotty electrical system.

so my info may be a book, but lets say the OP does do the big 3 as EVERYONES'S suggesting, but lets say he does it, and his lights still dim what then?
First, I know where you cut-and-paste that info, and it's NOT yours.

So you do local SPL comps, and can't comprehend why your lights would dim? Too much acid perhaps???

Did you even think to upgrade your alternator? Most "serious" SPL-ers use MULTIPLE H/O alternators, and run the engine at ~2500rpm. Your issue wasn't storage, as over time you've drained that, so it became an issue of demand and your 80 amp alternator obviously couldn't keep up...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok we aperently share the same reading skills

my mistake i should have ......you know this is retarted

im jsut gona sit back and watch...last post for me on this thread

im sorry for the uprising and pasting all that info fromREALM OF EXCRUSION

i clearly dont know what im talking about, as per rocketgyrl's last post

have a good one guys

Loren
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ hahahahah don't take it sooooo personally.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an no worries, its jsut an internet forum still trying to figure out how this supereiority complex is developed...on an internet forum
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Loren-
I'm sorry for coming off a bit harsh, but look at how many posts it took us to get - nowhere! If anything comes from this, I hope you (and others) learn more. There's SOO much mis-information out there, and it's frustrating to those that DO know what we're talking about to continually battle those that don't.

This thread hasn't seen the OP return to give us more information, so we're stuck debating one another about "proper" electrical system design, limitations, etc.

Cheers,
Robyn
Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Robyn,

no hard feeling i agree there is a lot of misinformation on the net, and at times those that do know what there talking about get int to an argument beceause like in real life we have our views, and know how things work our way, we are creatures of habbit, and if someone tryes to throw us of four beaten path we get crankie, i understand where your coming from. but the op unlike u and i (unless he comes back and posts that he now holds the 180db record in his class) may not enter comps, regardless, my route isnet the best or optimal route.

i vote this thread be closed due to inactivity by the OP

Loren
Old 03-12-2008, 01:39 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ granted.

to OP,
when you come back, shoot me a pm to reopen.
this thread has gotten nowhere since you haven't posted since the 5th.